JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying a couple different pellets in the .177 Air Arms Ultimate Sporter. Only 30 yards.

A67CC871-4262-4D44-900C-B1E3EDE14429.jpeg 3C6B14EF-7AB2-4AE1-8635-0E2C1DEC5DA2.jpeg 98688808-D5D6-49A1-AE68-F9CF22C85CA8.jpeg

There are folks out there who know what they are doing. Actually got the rifle with an 8-32 Hawke Sidewinder and bipod for $380.

Man, are you sure the cops aren't knocking on your door, cause you sure as hell stole that thing :eek:! That said, I agree with Frank, you definitely need to stretch that thing out. My first "classic" PCP was an AA S400 Extra in .177, it was an absolute laser out to 50 yards with heavy pellets. Owned several AA's over the years, both springer and PCP, all were really nice rifles. Enjoy!

Dave

There is no way any break barrel will do that at 30yds. Nice group. Try JSB heavies.

I agree with JSB heavy. But about all I use are break-barrels.

If ya don't think it's possible, come on by an I'll show ya how to do the same with one. ;)

Out testing pellets yesterday at 25-yards... x10 each in this example.
Typical results but looking for consistency/better groups. And the red label always seems to "win".

diana34classic22_testfire002.jpg

There is no way any break barrel will do that at 30yds. Nice group. Try JSB heavies.

Wrong, plenty of break barrels are capable of that kind of accuracy at 30 yards, although most will need tuning and a proper lube job to do it, plus a shooter with good technique. The problem with most springers is the American obsession with speed, if 900 FPS is good, then 1200 MUST be better, right :rolleyes:? No amount of velocity or power is going to matter if you can't hit what you're shooting at. And the companies that sell the rifles you can buy at Walmart aren't interested in making that rifle last, they want you to treat it as a disposable toy, so that when it breaks, you just replace it.

But take that same rifle, make a few minor modifications, maybe replace the main spring, add the proper lubricants in the right amounts and places, and even the cheapest of springers can become a joy to shoot, and produce some excellent accuracy. Later.

Dave

What break barrel are you shooting? Weirauch, Beeman, or RWS? AA200 might do that.

Or a cheap gamo .177 in the right hands... (10 shots, benchrest, 25-yards)

This is not unusual. Come on by and I'll demonstrate. :)
silentcattarget23jan2021d.jpg

I have a pro-tune Diana 34 classic on the wall. I use the gamo more.
dianaRWS34classic22_001.JPG

Just sayin', not a fanboi, I'm not even a collector/investor. But I think sometimes folks spend more than they need to on a "high-end" plinker when a cheaper one might do just as well. Depending on your circumstances of course.

@Alderman got a great price on his! Good lookin' rifle.

Oh thank you Dave, thought I was gonna take this precarious journey alone. ;)

I should be thanking you, Frank, I think you're motivating me to knock the dust off my springer technique :rolleyes:. I still have a couple kicking around, an old Gamo 890 from back when they were still steel and wood, and a CZ Slavia 631, both in .177. Considering the current ammo situation, I've been seriously considering switching back to some air powered shooting for awhile, but both springers are badly in need of tuning, especially the Gamo, it's twangy enough to be almost painful to shoot :confused:. The Slavia is better, but it could still benefit from some TLC. Later.

Dave

There's a very fine RWS 34 listed here that would get those shots at 30-yards.
And at a good price. If I had 200 bucks to spare, I'd snag it! Someone better get it before I do, I don't really need another! :)

Oh thank you Dave, thought I was gonna take this precarious journey alone. ;)
Most impressive.
Q: How does an LER scope on the barrel of a break barrel work out? Thinking is that my High Standard Victor has the rear sight on a rib attached to the barrel. Any breakbarrel will have at least some movement/change of POI between action and barrel.

Most impressive.
Q: How does an LER scope on the barrel of a break barrel work out? Thinking is that my High Standard Victor has the rear sight on a rib attached to the barrel. Any breakbarrel will have at least some movement/change of POI between action and barrel.

You don't use (or need) an LER scope on a break barrel, as the scope is mounted over the compression tube, not on the barrel.

I had the same thought re: POI change when I first got into "adult" air rifles, which is why my first was a fixed barrel with an under lever for cocking. But many break barrels later, I'd have to say that, although there probably is some effect on POI, at the ranges typical for these rifles, it's insignificant. The barrel locking mechanism on these things is pretty stout, new ones require a pretty good smack to break, that smooths out with use, but it's still a significant part of the cocking effort. That said, there are some with an additional locking mechanism, the Slavia 631 I mentioned above is one of them. Bit of a hassle when you're not used to it, and probably overkill, based on my experience. But CZ always does tend to over engineer stuff :D.

So, bottom line, probably not worth worrying about, but if you are, there are alternatives to the break barrel action. Regardless of your choice/preference, learning to shoot a springer well is both fun and challenging, with the added benefit of being excellent practice for any sort of rifle shooting, the techniques carry over to powder burners quite nicely. In the meantime, it's a damn sight cheaper than anything that burns powder right now. That RWS/Diana 34 in the Classified would make a great starter rifle, and it's an excellent price, I'm with Frank again, I hope someone buys it before I weaken ;). Later.

Dave

Thank you. Exactly right about BBs being far more economical to send downrange. At this point, the most serious air weapon I have is a Gamo Shadow 1000. Mostly informal target, as kitty handles the pest problem and low-powered spring air pistols keep the deer away from the price tag plants.

Thank you. Exactly right about BBs being far more economical to send downrange. At this point, the most serious air weapon I have is a Gamo Shadow 1000. Mostly informal target, as kitty handles the pest problem and low-powered spring air pistols keep the deer away from the price tag plants.

Only difference between the Shadow and my 890 is the stock, and maybe the muzzle "brake". Good guns, I consider them diamonds in the rough, they respond very well to a basic tune and lube, and even the trigger can be tweaked to be pretty good. But please tell me you're not actually shooting BB's out of it :eek:! They're not designed to shoot BB's, and if they don't just fall out of the barrel, they will damage the rifling, airgun barrel steel is on the soft side, and BB's are just copper coated steel, not a good mix. Later.

Dave

Not to rain on your parade, but in my experience, Gamo pellets are crap, on a really good day. I will qualify that by saying that my experience with them is over a decade ago, but considering what they've done with their rifles, I seriously doubt their pellets have changed for the better :rolleyes:. Best all around pellet in ALL the .177 Gamo's I've ever owned or shot, and that's more than a few, has been the JSB Exact 8.4 gr. Second best was probably the old Crosman Premier 7.9 gr. (?) in the cardboard box, but I don't know if you can even get those anymore. Unless your Shadow is extremely unusual, do yourself a favor and get a tin of the JSB's. Yeah, they're more expensive than the Gamo's, and you won't find them at Walmart, but if accuracy matters to you, I think you'll find the juice is worth the squeeze. If you don't agree, I'll buy the balance for what you paid, plus cover shipping. How's that for an offer you can't refuse :D? Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads