JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I finally got a day off and did my first cook on the Pit Boss today. I did a small Brisket and some baby back ribs.

The Brisket was a 2lbs flat that was bought around ST Patrick's and had in the freezer. It was ok but a bit tough.

The ribs were awesome and probably the best ribs I have had in my life!

View attachment 590198

View attachment 590195

View attachment 590196

View attachment 590197
Looks nice !
As you move on, you will find that ribs and brisket are two different types of cooks that you will want to do separately.

Thought I would give an update on my Pit Boss. It has been working great, I have done chicken and Brisket since my last post and it turned out great!

Tonight I did a boneless Pork Butt that I turned into Pulled Pork. It was the best pulled pork I have ever had!

9AD4016E-2CDA-43CE-B9C6-1214F539D57A.jpeg

9F2C8C14-1384-4875-85FC-D9A1B8E81F6A.jpeg

41EB8086-B368-464C-AFA9-2CE3D1D34EFB.jpeg

This bull is the best grill I have ever owned and the customer service is out of this world!

First let me say I got the 590 that has wifi and an app that controls the grill. The only issue is the temp alarm never really goes off correctly. When I first got the grill I had some bad screws and a bent handle. Not only did they ship me new ones that very day, they sent me a $89 flavor pack of seasonings and sauces which are incredible by the way for free s an apology!

They have tons of video on youtube with recipes. It was easy to put together and can cook meat like no tomorrow, a monkey like me can do it. Just about everything I have made has come out incredible. And I have never made brisket in my life and I have made two that have come out like an award winning Texas BBQ joint. I'm flat out amazed I made them.

Now lets talk customer service. I have never, in my 47 years of life seen anything quite like this. Maybe there are better grills, fancier, etc, but nothing like the rec tec CS guys and gals. I made a post on a Facebook group, not even their own group and the next day someone called me! I didn't even ask for them to call me, they found me online, looked me up in their records and called to help! WHO DOES THAT? That is flat out amazing. They even have after hours call backs if you have some sort of emergency. It is quite amazing.

Everyone that works there cooks with the grills, they are making food everyday from what I hear at the one brick and mortar store in NC. I have even spoke to Ray Carnes, the owner. Yes they are spendy, yes they are made in China, but the build quality is amazing and they have raves of fans and positive reviews. I have never seen anyone bad mouth them in any of the forums. And I'm sure if they did, they would make it right.

I made these tonight, and they are frikken delicious!! Mediterranean Turkey Meatballs

A few photos of my setup and culinary masterpieces I have made.

If you are in the market, buy one, you wont be disappointed.

thumbnail_IMG_1200.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1201.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1285.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1286 (1).jpg

I have often considered some type of pellet grill but something always stopped me.

Maybe the automated process, things to go wrong etc. HOWEVER if anyone is interested pellet smoked goodness can be had with a basic propane grill with the fold up upper grate.

Lay heavy duty aluminum foil on the bottom grate covered completely. Sprinkle a handful or two of pellets on the foil and turn the grill on LOW.

When the pellets begin to smoke put the meat on the upper grill and close the lid. A little experimentation may be needed with heat but with the setting on low it works very well and the pellets glowing add to the heat as well.

I can do chicken thighs, ribs, country style ribs, small pork shoulders etc. in about 1 - 1.5 hours and they come out excellent - tender and juicy and you would think they spent much more time in a smoker.

Is it perfect? No - but not a bad alternative to get a smoked flavor with a 'basic' LP grill on a budget!

This is a recent load of chicken and potatoes! YEP try smoke-baking your spuds this way! They come out great!
IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1946.JPG

I have often considered some type of pellet grill but something always stopped me.

Maybe the automated process, things to go wrong etc. HOWEVER if anyone is interested pellet smoked goodness can be had with a basic propane grill with the fold up upper grate.

Lay heavy duty aluminum foil on the bottom grate covered completely. Sprinkle a handful or two of pellets on the foil and turn the grill on LOW.

When the pellets begin to smoke put the meat on the upper grill and close the lid. A little experimentation may be needed with heat but with the setting on low it works very well and the pellets glowing add to the heat as well.

I can do chicken thighs, ribs, country style ribs, small pork shoulders etc. in about 1 - 1.5 hours and they come out excellent - tender and juicy and you would think they spent much more time in a smoker.

Is it perfect? No - but not a bad alternative to get a smoked flavor with a 'basic' LP grill on a budget!

This is a recent load of chicken and potatoes! YEP try smoke-baking your spuds this way! They come out great!
View attachment 679086 View attachment 679087

Great idea!
I'll try this soon. Thx

I'll try this soon. Thx
It works VERY well as you can see.

Just keep an eye on your heat as the pellets help to kick it up.

Try to keep it at about 350-375 +/- for the best results. I am going to try some 'longer term' smoking this weekend with the heat at very minimal to do larger pieces.

View attachment 679086 View attachment 679087

So I did this, and it eventually worked great!
I tried to keep the temps down around 225-250, but that wasn't hot enough to ignite the pellets.
Once I dialed it up, the pellets fired off and the smoke came billowing out!
As you say, 350 seemed to be a sustainable temp.
Just did simple chicken but it turned out great...
Thanks for the creative idea.

My new opinion of smokers.
$75.00 up to the sky in price.
They all serve a purpose.
The thing I've learned.
Build one!
1/4 inch steel.
Use charcoal or pellets.
If pellets I would love to find a great computer and a fire box that's in the right spot to be able to empty the burnouts easier.

Meathead's book is fantastic; great recipes/instruction and also debunks a lot of bad/misguided cooking practices. Also, one more vote for the Green Mountain Grill - Daniel Boone.

Just did simple chicken but it turned out great...
Glad it worked out for you.

With regard to the temp it is subjective. I found the best setting is on LOW on my three burner knobs. The pellets start to smoke in about 10-15 minutes and then I add the meat.

If you are basing the temperature on the lid mounted thermometer the actual temp to the meat is a lot less. I checked my meat temperature with my laser thermometer when my lid thermometer was showing about 325 and the meat temp was about 250-275.

Glad it worked out for you.

With regard to the temp it is subjective. I found the best setting is on LOW on my three burner knobs. The pellets start to smoke in about 10-15 minutes and then I add the meat.

If you are basing the temperature on the lid mounted thermometer the actual temp to the meat is a lot less. I checked my meat temperature with my laser thermometer when my lid thermometer was showing about 325 and the meat temp was about 250-275.

Ok, thx for that.
Another mistake I made is, I added the meat at the same time I put in the pellets. Dumb...
Next time, I'll get the pellets smokin' first.

Next time, I'll get the pellets smokin' first.
Yep - let the temp to get stabilized.

It was your first time. Do a little experimenting and you'll get a system worked out. If you can figure a out a 'happy medium' with your temp you can essentially cook your meat without having to lift the lid other than to add some pellets.

Bottom line is it's not a bad way to go and works pretty well. I have turned on many to this idea with no complaints!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top