JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok looking to replace my old and tired gas grill. Thinking of going the way of the pellet grill and wondering who has one and what you think of them? Also brand would be helpful:cool:

Thanks!

I have had a Traeger, worked great but pricy for the amount of grill space. But then again it's almost idiot proof for smoking.

What temps can you get up to on the Traeger?

I have been looking at the Green mountain grills as temps can get up to 500 I think with the controller they have.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain for doing over night cooks and whatever else I want to throw into it. But would like a kind of all in one if I can find it.

I have the Green Mountain Daniel Boone and the Davy Crockett (new tailgater grill, fits in the motorhome).
The DC is fairly new but have had the DB for 3 years. Cook everything on it: Smoke meat, cook veggies, pizza, bake cobblers. You name it and it can be done. Will cook from 150 to 500 degrees so you can do just about anything you want on it. The temp controller is digital and works in 5 degree increments. Comes with a food probe for watching internal temps of meats as they cook.

Has a hopper fan that keeps any fire from back burning into the hopper of pellets. Also has turbo mode (whatever they call it) that the grill watches the outside temp and if drops below 40 degrees then it burns pellets faster in order to better maintain the internal temp.

I cook on this thing year round: nice hot sunny summer days and the Supreme Commander has pictures of me with my spatula and a background of snow. Pellet cookers are more expensive than gas or charcoal but if you use them they are definitely worth it.

Yes have been looking at the Daniel Boon at a local store on sale for 650 right now. Need to look around and see what prices are.

I do love my Weber but trying to remember when to buy charcoal is getting old. Every memorial day HD has it on sale and need to stock up almost 20lbs to smoke a few butts overnight plus the wood. Also can not make a pizza on it:)

And yes I BBQ all year long as it is under cover so rain is not an issue.

Traeger. I can smoke at around 120 and get as high as 480 degrees.

Free recipe:
Take preformed or form them yourself hamburger patties. Start with one. Top with smoked Gouda cheese, crushed garlic, diced hard salami, BBQ sauce and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Top with another patty and press the edges down all the way around to seal in the goods. Smoke on the Traeger for about 4 hours. Turn up to high to finish them off. Let rest for about 15 or 20 minutes and garnish with your favorite toppings.

I have a Weber Bullet now. Works great but want something the wife can use also. She does need to cook every once in a while:D

I have the Green Mountain Daniel Boone and use it all year round and it has been trouble free going on two years. From cheap to expensive they all work pretty much the same, it is the controllers that make the difference. Go to Pelletheads.com for lots of good info on buying and using pellet grills.

bbqgun.jpg

Gonna jump in here after the dust has settled with my freshly minted .02 cents. Since the popularity of pellet poopers has really taken off in the past 10 years the market has been flooded with a host of makes and models. The Traegars were one of the first pellet cookers introduced to the public for home and later commercial applications. The Mt. Angel company did a great job of marketing and their sales soared.
I believe, IMHO and my experience, these folks are the John Browning of pellet cookers. Made in the USA.

http://www.cookshack.com/Products-for-Home-Use

Personally I prefer the versatility of a separate smoker and grill. I do A LOT of smoking and BBqing and like to pre-smoke some meats and then grill. Also I can use chips/chunks of wood in the smoker if I want as well as pellets. I could not do most of what I do now with one of the pellet only style units.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top