JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can try the Skinner rear sight (peep) with the factory Marlin front sight, but you may find it hard to zero the rifle, with the elevation off.

When I put a Skinner rear peep on my M1894 Marlin .44 Mag I also installed a Skinner tall front sight blade. This front sight is designed to be filed down to adjust for elevation when using the Skinner peep sight, in order to zero the rifle. Works as designed.

I have a Marlin 1894 in .357, open sights that came with it, The front sight is hooded. Do I need to change the front sight if I put a Skinner peep on? Usually a scope guy.

You can try the Skinner rear sight (peep) with the factory Marlin front sight, but you may find it hard to zero the rifle, with the elevation off.

When I put a Skinner rear peep on my M1894 Marlin .44 Mag I also installed a Skinner tall front sight blade. This front sight is designed to be filed down to adjust for elevation when using the Skinner peep sight, in order to zero the rifle. Works as designed.
Thanks Land Cruiser!

Love 'em, grew up on 'em! My son and his son as well! Can be extremely accurate!

An oldie, but a goodie...

20200528_155647.jpg 20200528_162015.jpg 20200528_162045.jpg 20200528_161920.jpg 20200528_162112.jpg

My Winnie Model 75 Sporter from the end of the production run in 1942 (only 44 produced in '43!).

Edit: I just noticed this was moved to Levers (LA's). Hopefully more BA's will respond as well

Last Edited:
So, since this is in the Lever Action forum, I'll stick to lever guns.:)

Conventional iron sights and peep sights are both quite at home on lever guns. That said, my mature vision makes conventional iron sights somewhat more difficult to use than in previous decades. Receiver sights are far easier for me.

P1020272.JPG
This Williams sight is the cats meow for a Marlin 336.

P1020270.JPG
And on this 1894, it came from the factory with this ghost-ring sight. Maybe not the best for precise work, but target acquisition is super easy and super quick.

Last Edited:
I used a sight similar to the one above, minus the rail, on a Marlin 1894. It came with a segmented, plastic dummy front sight that was used to sight in before purchasing a "real" front blade.
My grandson has a Winchester Model 94 with a Lyman tang sight on it. I'll have to dig it out and snap a pic.

77/22, 77/357, 77/44..mine needed a taller front sight with available peeps so I kept with iron sights or a scope.

10/22, M-77....Front sights were okay.

Marlin 336, Winchester 94... factory front sight was okay for height.

I have a Marlin 1894 in .357, open sights that came with it, The front sight is hooded. Do I need to change the front sight if I put a Skinner peep on?

More often than not, since the line of sight with a stock open barrel sight is typically very low over the receiver. But the sighting is so superior with peeps that it is worth the trouble. I usually just take the front hood off as it gets in the way. I also like to light a match to generate soot for the inside of the peep, eliminating any reflections. Some more serious people use carbide (I think) for this purpose.

A rifle just looks really clean with a peep sight rather than a scope. Bolt guns too. A lot handier too. But they don't work as well for old eyes, to be sure.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top