Peeps. Post them if you got them.

Reactions
You can try the Skinner rear sight (peep) with the factory Marlin front sight, but you may find it hard to zero the rifle, with the elevation off.

When I put a Skinner rear peep on my M1894 Marlin .44 Mag I also installed a Skinner tall front sight blade. This front sight is designed to be filed down to adjust for elevation when using the Skinner peep sight, in order to zero the rifle. Works as designed.

I have a Marlin 1894 in .357, open sights that came with it, The front sight is hooded. Do I need to change the front sight if I put a Skinner peep on? Usually a scope guy.

3putts

Reactions
You can try the Skinner rear sight (peep) with the factory Marlin front sight, but you may find it hard to zero the rifle, with the elevation off.

When I put a Skinner rear peep on my M1894 Marlin .44 Mag I also installed a Skinner tall front sight blade. This front sight is designed to be filed down to adjust for elevation when using the Skinner peep sight, in order to zero the rifle. Works as designed.
Thanks Land Cruiser!

WAYNO

Reactions
So, since this is in the Lever Action forum, I'll stick to lever guns.:)

Conventional iron sights and peep sights are both quite at home on lever guns. That said, my mature vision makes conventional iron sights somewhat more difficult to use than in previous decades. Receiver sights are far easier for me.

P1020272.JPG
This Williams sight is the cats meow for a Marlin 336.

P1020270.JPG
And on this 1894, it came from the factory with this ghost-ring sight. Maybe not the best for precise work, but target acquisition is super easy and super quick.

Last edited:

orygun

Reactions
I used a sight similar to the one above, minus the rail, on a Marlin 1894. It came with a segmented, plastic dummy front sight that was used to sight in before purchasing a "real" front blade.
My grandson has a Winchester Model 94 with a Lyman tang sight on it. I'll have to dig it out and snap a pic.

WAYNO

Reactions
77/22, 77/357, 77/44..mine needed a taller front sight with available peeps so I kept with iron sights or a scope.

10/22, M-77....Front sights were okay.

Marlin 336, Winchester 94... factory front sight was okay for height.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• 36 Pit
    4.00 star(s)
    Went here this morning. This was my first time shooting on public land in Oregon. The guys from Trash No Land were there as well as other...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Good prices, interesting items
    I like taking a drive through farm country to this spot... nice selection.
    • kbf64
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Good Friday!
    Had a great first time visit that included a transfer, a special order, and some trading. Can't wait to come back! Also I realized after I got...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
Top Bottom