JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been waiting awhile for this one and wasn't going to let a little rain stop me from shooting it. Couple of quick shots on the patterning board and then over to the 5 stand. Seems to have pretty quick ignition and swings nicely. Comb is a little lower than my suppository shotguns and tends to pattern more 50/50 than 60/40.

Been waiting awhile for this one and wasn't going to let a little rain stop me from shooting it. Couple of quick shots on the patterning board and then over to the 5 stand. Seems to have pretty quick ignition and swings nicely. Comb is a little lower than my suppository shotguns and tends to pattern more 50/50 than 60/40.

A flintlock shotgun is on my wish list.
L.B.

RB58,

Who was the retailer, or how did you order it, if you can tell me? Pedersoli availability seems to be a secret closely guarded by Pedersoli.

Yeah, you have to know the secret handshake.

In my case the shotgun came from Dixie Gun Works. Just checked and they list it as "in stock" on their website.

You might also try Flintlocks Etc.. Used them once to track down a Pedersoli Mortimer for me.

VERY fast ignition there...I bet you're pleased, eh?

I was keeping my fingers crossed when I bought it. With only two reviews I could find (one online by a guy who didn't seem to have any shotgunning background and one in Muzzleblasts ) and nothing else but manufacturer pictures and videos to go by I felt it was a bit of a crap shoot. Turned out O.K so far.

My only concern is the front lock screws. For some unfathomable reason they went with wood screws. Not sure why they didn't go with a lock bolt thru to the opposite lock plate (maybe barrel interference?) or at least a pin set up like on the LePage. Or just forget the forward screws altogether. It will eventually have to be dealt with, probably with a post and screw set up.

The basketweave checkering a lot of people are bubbleguming about seems O.K. to me. Allows for a good grip. Time will tell as to how well it holds up to the usual dings and dents in the field.

Weight could be considered on the heavy side at around 7 1/2 lbs for a pure upland gun. About the same as my 20 ga. Red Label. Throw in ducks and clays and the weight is more acceptable. Balances and swings well.

Going to have to hunt ducks by myself though. Nowhere in the blind for any body else to sit with that thing throwing burning powder right and left.

Last Edited:
Nice review ... thanks. I'm guessing my 20ga percussion is probably the same configuration except for ignition. I agree that the weight not as light as I'd like...it almost looks like they just bored 20 holes in 12ga barrels. Tapered barrels would be sweet. But as you say...it does seem to swing and point well. Many quail in the bag this Jan and two turkeys so far. You want to do a 20ga BP duck hunt? I'm in...I'll deal with the flash pan:).

20190221_165606.jpg

Nice review ... thanks. I'm guessing my 20ga percussion is probably the same configuration except for ignition. I agree that the weight not as light as I'd like...it almost looks like they just bored 20 holes in 12ga barrels. Tapered barrels would be sweet. But as you say...it does seem to swing and point well. Many quail in the bag this Jan and two turkeys so far. You want to do a 20ga BP duck hunt? I'm in...I'll deal with the flash pan:).

Being flint, it's a bit wider as the locks have to be mounted outboard of the barrels rather than being tucked a bit under in the percussion version, otherwise I'm sure they're pretty close.

We can always make a trip out to Sauvie Island for a duck hunt, pending me coming up with a workable non-tox load. Based on past experience, expect to get checked by ODFW. For some reason all that smoke attracts attention.

Works for me. I've been shooting bizmuth #4 and hevi shot #6 for several years. I used a ballistics products 20 ga wad that contains the shot and give nice tight patterns. You could load steel in this wad as well and the Pedersolli's can handle it but shooting steel in a ML doesn't seem right. Send me a PM if you want the receipies.
I need to get the TCGC pattern board myself.

CIMG1395.jpg

Been using Hevi shot and BP's LBC wads in my trade gun, so starting there for the SXS. I flinch every time I pattern with the stuff because its so expensive. With the lower BP velocities the extra weight is a plus. On the negative side, its so hard I'm afraid to use it in my Irish Shot charger.

It also seems sacrilegious to be using plastic in a flintlock, but you do what you gotta do.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top