JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a father with a daughter, I'd probably lose my cool too, but firing "warning shots" isn't going to help his case. He could make the argument he ordered the BF to leave, but unless the BF was armed or attempted to assault hmmm... might too bad.

Sadly, I bet the only account of this incident is going to be jail time for the dad, where he'll have even less freedom to supervise his daughter... who at 15 is now probably finding a new place to do naughty things with her BF. Probably not the outcome the dad wanted.

I read this story on KGW earlier yesterday, the details were completely different. They were reporting that the owner heard the burglar alarm and fire a warning shot, no mention of the daughter/boyfriend. Makes me go "hmm". But I agree he was in no position to have done that.

Well, I'm thinking the daughter is NOT going to stop this activity.\

And as the father of sons, why is it always the guys fault? Do fathers of daughters really believe that their little girl is helpless in the face of the boy's smooth talk, glib tongue and fancy do-dads? This isn't the 1880s, woman can, and do, take an active roll in sexual activity, and that includes young women at the age of 15 or so...

As a father of 3 daughters I gotta say this dad had my support until he actually DISCHARGED his firearm. My alarm goes off, I'm grabbing my gun. Strange noises coming from my daughters room, I kicking in the door. But once the the person is identified as the boyfriend and my daughter wasn't being assaulted the gun should get holstered and the boy thrown out. Dealing with the daughter would have to wait until morning after coffee.

Rage/anger is no excuse, he could have hurt others from his stupid actions. Behavior like this gives the antis more fuel.

Not to mention... this is yet another example of people not wanting to take responsibility for the situation. You're the parent, be the parent. You're setting a poor example for your child when you show them you can't even control yourself.

I hate to break it to some of you, but nature is going to take its course. You could be the best parent in the world, taught them all about the birds and bees, but some of our kids aren't the strongest willed or brightest bulb. That doesn't give you the excuse to go all hill billy yokel and chase the boyfriend away with a gun.

Making the decision to become a parent is a LOT like making the decision to own or carry firearms. Before the decision is made, you must weigh the negatives against the positives, and understand that life is not the Disney Channel. Ugly things can happen.

Parents need to forecast, and ask uncomfortable "what if" questions of themselves, so that they are as prepared as they can really be if they find themselves dealing with a child who has become involved with drugs, other criminal activity, sex at an early age, or an unexpected lifestyle choice. What if you're atheist, and your child decides that their calling is with the Mormon faith? Muslim? What if your child informs you that he or she is gay? What if your child is schizophrenic? What if you're Catholic, and your child declares that they are atheist?

As with the choice to carry, you must prepare yourself as best you can for the unexpected, so that you may approach it with a cool head. Situational awareness helps, too.

Sadly, many people dive in without educating themselves, first.

I hate to break it to some of you, but nature is going to take its course. You could be the best parent in the world, taught them all about the birds and bees, but some of our kids aren't the strongest willed or brightest bulb. That doesn't give you the excuse to go all hill billy yokel and chase the boyfriend away with a gun.

Being 15 automatically includes doing stupid things. That's why concerned parents are involved in their kids' lives. Nature shouldn't be left to take it's course. The BF is showing no respect for the girl or the parent's rules. If it were my daughter, I'd make sure she never saw the BF again. Warning shots are a bit extreme, but they do get the message across.

If was the father of the 17 year old boy I'd be furious! Get this A Hat for as big of a charge as possible. I have a son and a daughter and I want nothing more than to protect both of them but this dude was WAY out of line. Some grown man pulls a gun on my teenage son who is posing no threat? Not good!

As the father of two daughters (now in their 20's) what this guy did will always be a fantasy of every father out there; or at least it was one of mine. I would never have gone as far as to fire a gun unless it was to defend one of them. Kids do what kids do when they can. Some get caught in the act (I did once:)) and some don't. I did do what I thought was the next best thing though. My youngest daughter wanted to bring her 1st real boyfriend home to meet me. Giving me notice was her fault! I took my AR out of the safe and had it field stripped on the kitchen table before they got home. Funny how unsettled a teenage boy gets when you are making small talk and eye contact as you are reassembling and wiping down your gun. Priceless and funny! I don't remember his name.

"HE LEFT THROUGH THE WINDOW" :s0132: "THE FATHER WAS ARRESTED":s0154:

Well I think we all dream of being able to give the boyfriend of our daughter a good scare so he will treat her right and respectful. If you don't, well then there are other problems.

Here is my story:

We were having a family dinner with my daughters boyfriend (good kid by the way) and the location of our dinning room is not far from the dining room. Everyone was gathering around the table with the boyfriends back to our bedroom and my daughter sitting across from him so she could see into the bedroom. I needed to do whatever in the bedroom and took the opportunity to clear my already empty shotgun. I do not think there is any one sound that translate across any language barrier better, I racked my 870, I love that sound, its a real attention getter. So I look up and can see my daughter who is looking at her boyfriend, she told me later that his eyes got real big. From where I was, I could see, even though he was facing away from me, I had his full attention and nothing else was ever said.

So we think back and we get a good laugh, that was over a year ago now. They are both still together.

I will take a moment and say, yes this can happen to every dad. Hopefully the dad has been able to develop a relationship with his daughter/s as well as the boyfriend and let them know that behavior is not acceptable. There are times our relationship is strained but that's when I send in the A-team (wife). You may ask how do you know if you have a good relationship with your daughter? Well I used to be unemployed, so I did the grocery shopping while the wife worked, before heading out I yelled up the stairs to my daughter if she needed anything? she yells back "Yeah dad, I need some pads its shark week".

As for me one of the things I have done is seek the knowledge of men that have been there before. I can also recommend a book called "Interviewing your daughters date" by Dennis Rainey. I had my daughter and her boyfriend read it. This way everybody knows what is expected.

Well my best to the dad to all dads.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top