Hi all, hopefully someone out there can help me!

I recently joined one of Boise State University's Firearm competition teams, through the criminal justice club.

Long story short, we provide our own weapons for the competition and mine is back home in Vancouver. I contacted some FFL's up here, and since I never switched my residency to Idaho, even if I go FFL(WA) to FFL(ID) they cannot release the gun to an out of state resident. Even a citizen who has a CHL from two different states, which are both valid in Idaho :(

So I'm looking for ideas on how to get my Springfield up here without driving 15hours round trip or dropping $250 on an airplane ride. As far as I know sending it FedEx/UPS could get ugly real quick if they find out it's a gun in the package. Is that correct?

But if anyone is going to be heading down to Boise from PDX and could possibly pick it up for me, I would arrange everything for one of my buddies to meet you somewhere and exchange the gun. It would need to be by Sept. 25th, and I would pay you $20 for your troubles....or if anyone is a college football fan we could talk tickets to the BSU vs. OSU game!

PM me if you think we could work something out. Or post here if any other shipping ideas.

Thanks in advance
I might get flack for this.... but it's just an idea, and curious thought. I'm not a lawyer (etc.) and not sure if it's legal, someone will hopefully chime in if I'm in the wrong.

How much does Fed-ex / UPS care if you ship gun parts ? Have a friend / family disassemble the gun and ship it in 2 parts (seperate boxes)?

I would think it would be just as legal as puchasing an AR lower online and having it shipped, then having an upper shipped. (Just an example)
you can ship guns to yourself across state lines.

How do you think so many people get their guns to front site. have a family member ship it to you c/o where you are staying.

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

Upcoming Events

2A Rally at the Capitol
Salem, OR
Wes Knodel Gun Shows
Chehalis, WA
Wes Knodel Gun Shows
Redmond, OR

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top