JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in Keith's the other day and boy do they have lousy customer service. I for one would rather pay a little more, or hunt longer for what I want rather than buy from those guys. When I started shopping a Keith's 10 years ago, before he moved into the new building, he was pretty good to deal with. Now that he is grown bigger, his shop seems to be all about turning a quick buck.

I grew up in Mt. Vernon during the 70's & 80's and used to shop at Kesselring’s before I joined the Navy and moved away. They used to be known as one of the best gun shop in the NW, but now that they have grown bigger their customer service has went down hill. I brought my 11 year old son to see Kesselring’s several months ago. When I pushed my way up the counter and asked a question about a youth trap gun, the sales person acted like I was bothering him. I also found their prices to be pretty high considering the volume of guns, ammo & assys that they sell.

I also used to buy quite a bit from Mike @ Brightwater Ventures in Vancouver. However, since the Obama era began he has raised his prices and now seems more interested in selling car parts & tools rather than guns.

Thank God for Gunbroker and the net. I can now get the stuff I want sent to my FFL for $20 and pay no sales tax. I have also found Terry w/ L&L Guns up in Battleground to be a pretty good egg & I enjoy shopping in his store.

Does anyone know of any fair and friendly dealers/shops in the metro area?

I've been to Keith's and to Brightwater and I know what you are talking about. I've also seen the other side of the coin when both shops have gone out of there way to help me out, whether it was answering questions or when concluding a sale. In "retail" customer service usually makes or break a business, so we will have to see how that plays out, since word of mouth goes a long way. Just my $.02. As to friendly dealers, depends what you are looking for. We have fellow Forum members who are dealers or at least have an FFL license Coctailer for one located in Vancouver area.

I used to go to Kesselring's almost every week back in the seventies. Bought a lot of stuff their.

I agree about Keith's, been their a few times and well not go back. Gunbroker and NWA are always nice, course I spend money with them. On-line buys can be found.

Boy, I read these "I hate Keith's" messages all over the place.....I can only speak for myself, but I've bought a couple of guns there, and gone in way before I was ready to buy some new toy and just looked around and asked questions, and I've always had a wonderful experience - people were helpful, polite, and knowledgeable.

Yes, sometimes (usually?) they are busy and you have to wait your turn for help.....I don't have a problem with that.

I'm not saying others don't have different experiences there, just that it isn't "case closed" as far as I can see....

I never said that I hate Keith's, I simply stated that the customer service that I received was sub-standard. I really don't like spending my money at shops that treat folks like that. This is an expensive hobbie and I like to be treated well when I spend my hard earned dollars. Some folks don't care as long as they get the best price; to each his own. I just wanted to know if there were some better choices for us in the Portland-Vancouver Metro area.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to say anything specific about how you, personally, feel - I meant to speak in general - many of the comments I've read about Keith's are much less considered than yours was. And of course, I also wouldn't mind knowing about other good places in the area!
I've had pretty good luck at Gun Broker in Clackamas...

I was in Keith's the other day and boy do they have lousy customer service. I for one would rather pay a little more, or hunt longer for what I want rather than buy from those guys. When I started shopping a Keith's 10 years ago, before he moved into the new building, he was pretty good to deal with. Now that he is grown bigger, his shop seems to be all about turning a quick buck.

I grew up in Mt. Vernon during the 70's & 80's and used to shop at Kesselring’s before I joined the Navy and moved away. They used to be known as one of the best gun shop in the NW, but now that they have grown bigger their customer service has went down hill. I brought my 11 year old son to see Kesselring’s several months ago. When I pushed my way up the counter and asked a question about a youth trap gun, the sales person acted like I was bothering him. I also found their prices to be pretty high considering the volume of guns, ammo & assys that they sell.

I also used to buy quite a bit from Mike @ Brightwater Ventures in Vancouver. However, since the Obama era began he has raised his prices and now seems more interested in selling car parts & tools rather than guns.

Thank God for Gunbroker and the net. I can now get the stuff I want sent to my FFL for $20 and pay no sales tax. I have also found Terry w/ L&L Guns up in Battleground to be a pretty good egg & I enjoy shopping in his store.

Does anyone know of any fair and friendly dealers/shops in the metro area?

I have never had very good service at Keith's. I purchased one of my walther p22's from them a couple of years ago and was not impressed with their attitude. Also, their prices are out of control on certain items.

NWA is really one of the last good gun shops around portland. Their prices are high, but not out of control. Their service is excellent, though they are not able to answer all of the technical questions I have.

Wholesale Sports (Sportsman's Warehouse) is very underrated in my opinion. I have purchased at least 10 guns from them for a few reasons. The prices are very competitive. The service is quite good for being a large chain. I have gotten to know a few employees and primarily deal with them because I know they know what they are talking about. Also, they have a very large selection of guns, ammo and all related equipment. Don't take this resource for granted.

However, now I can't tell you where I get all of my guns and ammo. TOP SECRET :winkkiss:

I have purchased several guns from Wholesale Sports. They are close to me, they had what I wanted in stock and the price wasn't too bad. It's also a good place to burn an hour creating my list of things to buy.

Now if we can get a Cabela's close by...

FYI, there is a business review section of NWFA - you might want to post a review there. There is a thread for Keith's.

I find Keith's to be satisfactory. The customer service is not rude or bad, it's just that they have the attitude "we're busy, we were busy yesterday, we will be busy tomorrow, we're not going to break out necks". They're too busy to answer the phone, and often times you have to flag someone to get their attention. However, once you do, I usually find them to be helpful.

I've found their prices are generally the best in the city for firearms, and they buy used guns at reasonable prices. Keith's also usually has the widest supply of ammo.

I also like Gunbroker, Fisherman's, etc. Any place except The Gun Room :)

Bob's Sporting Goods in Longview is a great store.

I like Bob's, and I go in there quite a bit (they've had bricks of 22 recently). Being a lefty, I end up ordering most of my guns, and have gone through Bob's in the past. About five years ago I ordered my BPS through them, and it almost seemed like I was bothering them at the time. The customer service used to be pretty bad there (at least for me) but it has gotten a lot better in the past couple of years. For special order guns, I usually go through The Gun Shop. Their selection on the rack isn't great, mostly beat up used guns, but the transfer fee for special orders is the same as Bob's, and I think the service is better, but I still shop them both. YMMV

While I've not placed my order yet, I've been more impressed with the email/PM service I've gotten from Jason @ Blackwater Tactical in Salem than I have gotten from multiple visits in the past to Discount Gun Sales. And customer service normally isn't bad at DGS, just their prices.

My next purchase (December) I'm likely going to be driving the 230+ miles to do business with Blackwater. Prompt replies and best prices = long drive for me.

My limited experiences with Keith's have been positive. I first visited their store 1 month ago+- just looking. When I got there they weren't busy. When I left they were busy. I was asked several times if I needed any help.
2nd experience was on the phone asking for a price and availibility. Again the person I talked to was friendly and helpful.
3rd time was back at the store for a purchase (best price in town). They were busy. The computer said they had 1 of what I was looking for It took 1 of the salesperson a long time to find it but he remained pleasant. Overall, they did a good job.
I dont like crowded little stores and had to deal with that, and I think they sorta have an east coast attitude which puts off alot of people from the PNW, but I've dealt with the east coast attitude before so it doesnt bother me. Just my 2 cents, and 1st post.

They picked up the phone after two rings and I found them to be pleasant. We in and was waited on right away. :s0155:

Last Edited:
I too have bought a number of guns and parts from Keith's. Simple thing with Keith's: know exactly what you want to do before you go in there. Keith's is not a good place to get "advice" about which of what or what's better... I just tell them I'd like to see X or buy Y and it goes well and their prices are better on guns than almost anyone but BiMart (who dont have handguns).

While I've been there the place has been regularly full of people asking the most idiotic questions and wanting to see every gun under the glass. While I know it's their job to answer those questions pleasantly, I would get really short myself with those guys and I've seen the folks behind the counter blow a lot of people off.

If you know what you need to know other than the feel of a gun before you go in there, it's a fine place to buy guns. They have a pretty unbeatable selection (other than HK... I wish they'd carry a better selection).

While I've been there the place has been regularly full of people asking the most idiotic questions and wanting to see every gun under the glass. While I know it's their job to answer those questions pleasantly, I would get really short myself with those guys and I've seen the folks behind the counter blow a lot of people off.

This is exactly why I don't particularly like Keiths. I realize people ask "stupid" questions. That what people do. Their job depends on those people coming in and purchasing the goods Keiths has for sale. In order to do that, Keiths needs to deal with these people and thats means answering their "stupid" questions.

Working in the restaurant business for 10+ years, I have been asked every stupid question possible (including: what is the difference between beef and pork?....not a joke). However, that was part of my job. I never took for granted that these people are the life blood of the restaurant and in turn, my job. Keiths should pull out every gun, answer every question, tap dance on the glass if thats what I want. Without us, they go bye bye.

rant over....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top