Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

PDX area source for lead to make case bullets

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TOVO, Jan 31, 2012.

1. TOVO

TOVO SW WA. Active Member

Anyone have a good source for lead to make cast bullets in the PDX area? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

I have scored used wheel weights from smaller tire shops. Seems like the big tire outlets usually have contracts to scrapyards or have some other reason for not letting you buy them. There is usually a guy selling lead on craigslist as well. It takes some looking around and some leg work to find a source. Happy casting.

3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

It's too bad that wheel weights are going "no lead". Several generations of shooters will have to seek lead elsewhere. First Linotype metal and now wheel weights. Whatever is a shooter of cast bullets to do. Heck, even plumbers don't use lead anymore.

There's still lead in car batteries but getting it out is way too toxic for the "backyard".

Seriously though, consider contacting a local shooting range. Some may be willing to part with the lead cleaned from their berms or in the case of indoor ranges, from their traps. Melt it down, clean off the copper which can be sold to the scrap recycler, and the remaining lead is a good start for your own "alloying".

4. plumberfishes

plumberfishes Gresham oregon Active Member

the nice thing for plumbers is we are taking out the old plumbing with lead.. and replacing it with lead free,,,,, thats how i got mine!

5. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

craigs list posting id #2829666808, says he has plenty.

6. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

I scored a bunch from a radiologist here in Oregon City. If you can hook up with one of those guys; they have a lot.