JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At our last rimfire, it was suggested that we shoot the rifle side with Pistol Caliber Carbines. I'm thinking 4 stages, 10-15 targets per stage. I'm guessing around 300 rounds to shoot all 4 stages. I'm not sure if we can run 4 shot timers at once so we might have to shoot in relays. $10 to shoot. I've requested June 11th. As soon as I get confirmation I'll put up a practiscore link.

It will be the same format as Rimfire - static shooting location, no drawing or reloads. Shoot each stage 5x and toss your worst score, add the rest together. All shot for time. 2s penalty for a missed target. 30s penalty for missing the stop plate.

I can't imagine a PCC without a red dot on it but I suppose we can do open and irons divisions with Overall Champ, Top Lady, Top Sr, and Top Youth.

Let me know if this sound interesting and what your other ideas might be.

I have very little experience with a PCC and this sounds like a great way to get it. I'm in! Sounds like a lot of fun. Is this going to be a PCC event only, or the same as before 4 stages of pistol and then 4 stages of PCC instead of .22?

Sounds like a lot of fun and I sometimes wished I lived closer to a 'range' that had something like this (well I do, kind of, but its close to an hour away and that eliminates any 'regular' visits)
I can't imagine a PCC without a red dot on it but I suppose we can do open and irons divisions with Overall Champ, Top Lady, Top Sr, and Top Youth.
Why separate this out ? Some don't care for red dots and may want to compete using open irons. Heck, based on some of the results I have seen with some shooting with a red dot I would have no problem shooting my PCC with 'open irons' against them.

Also why not take $2 out of each of the $10 and have a cash prize for the winners?

I have often thought about some interesting 'gambling' shooting games that could spice things up a bit!

Last Edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun and I sometimes wished I lived closer to a 'range' that had something like this (well I do, kind of, but its close to an hour away and that eliminates any 'regular' visits)

Why separate this out ? Some don't care for red dots and may want to compete using open irons. Heck, based on some of the results I have seen with some shooting with a red dot I would have no problem shooting my PCC with 'open irons' against them.

Also why not take $2 out of each of the $10 and have a cash prize for the winners?

I have often thought about some interesting 'gambling' shooting games that could spice things up a bit!
I like how Ben does it now. It gives everyone a chance to win something.

We are official - registration link here: https://practiscore.com/drrc-pcc-challenge-june-11th/register

4 stages. I'm not sure we can run 4 shot timers on the same range at the same time. Works for rimfire but PCC might have some bleedover. I have a plan for that but it might slow us down some.

Do you guys want to keep the rimfire 7 plate, 10 round, 5 strings or do you want more rounds? We could do 2 hits per plate and go to 20 round mags or we could just add a few more plates to the stage. Thoughts? It would be 150-300 rounds.

Match fee will be $10. I'm not going to include lunch since I don't expect this to be an all-day event. I trust we will be off the range by 1p. I can do gift cards as prizes but cash requires DRRC to mail you a check. High-power does it, but it slows down your winning. Thoughts?

Economically speaking, I'd say stick with the seven plate 10 round strings. while 9mm ammo is coming down in price and a bit more readily available, a higher round count match could be a slight buzz kill for those ammo miser folks among us. :p

On the other hand, ammo cost be damned, maybe do two longer range stages with the 7 plate, 10 round per string setup and then do two "pistol" style stages (up close with 2 hits per plate with 20 rounds per string). Just my humble .02.

I have no preference for prizes, cash or otherwise. The speed steel matches that I regularly shoot (ARPC and TCGC) do not offer prizes at their respective matches.

Finally, I predict this PCC match will be a big hit! Pun intended. :D

Last Edited:
I like the 10 rounds 7 plate stages. Don't make them too far away or too small for us novice PCC shooters, lol. Gift cards or random drawing is fine by me. Or no prizes at all. It's all about the fun..

I like the 10 rounds 7 plate stages. Don't make them too far away or too small for us novice PCC shooters, lol. Gift cards or random drawing is fine by me. Or no prizes at all. It's all about the fun..
I've seen you shoot! You are underestimating your skills with a PCC. As I mentioned earlier, your 15-22 is an excellent trainer gun to your PCC. You will be surprised how similar the two guns are once you get a little bit of trigger time on your PCC. You go girl! :)

I've seen you shoot! You are underestimating your skills with a PCC. As I mentioned earlier, your 15-22 is an excellent trainer gun to your PCC. You will be surprised how similar the two guns are once you get a little bit of trigger time on your PCC. You go girl! :)
thanks, but between the weight and the recoil I think it's just a tad bit different than a .22 lol.

thanks, but between the weight and the recoil I think it's just a tad bit different than a .22 lol.
That's a valid point. Can't argue physics. Lol
As for the weight, I found that running a lightweight barrel can really make a difference. A standard AR9 barrel runs about 23oz. Taccom has a LW barrel that I have been running a few years now that is 15oz. That knocks about a 1/2 pound total weight from the gun. They even have a ULW barrel that shaves another 4 oz off (11oz). I bought the ULW barrel awhile back but have yet to install it. Odin Works and JP Enterprises also have lightweight barrels too.

The great thing with all of the above mentioned barrels, is that they have like a 5-5.5 inch barrels with a pin and welded shroud that gets you to the legal rifle length of 16 inches. The beauty of that setup is it shifts the balance back to the magwell area of the gun. Similar to if you were holding a 16 pound bowling ball at your chest and then extended your arms all the way out while still holding onto it. The weight didn't change but the perception did! It's a whole lot easier to hold the ball in close than farther out. Same with your PCC.

I also shaved a couple ounces by going to a carbon fiber handguard. While I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between in weight between it and a standard aluminum handguard, but I'm able to get a better grip on it which helps me control it better, which in turn helps with recoil management.

Ok, back on topic, thread drift complete. 🤣

Last Edited:
I plan to set the line up in the usual spot on the dynamic range but I will have the front targets a little further back than we do for rimfire. Figure 15-50 yards.

For expediency, I'm going to keep the 5-7 targets (I know, I know, when have I ever done less than 7), 11 round max, 4 stages, 5 strings per stage. That will keep the round count low and the day moving fast.

Long range weather guessers are looking positive for Saturday.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top