JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody got a suggestion for iron sights that will fit the picatinny rail on a Ruger carbine? I inherited my dad's Ruger and he had a scope on it. I had a Red Dot and I put that on and it's fun for target shooting but it doesn't seem very reasonable for a self-defense or shtf scenario.

I don't like the stock sites that are mounted in front of the receiver. I want a set that will attach to the picatinny rail back closer to my eye. And I don't want plastic ones I want real iron sights. Maybe some low profile ones. Any suggestions?

If you have bought some and like them hook me up with a link:).

Anybody got a suggestion for iron sights that will fit the picatinny rail on a Ruger carbine? I inherited my dad's Ruger and he had a scope on it. I had a Red Dot and I put that on and it's fun for target shooting but it doesn't seem very reasonable for a self-defense or shtf scenario.

I don't like the stock sites that are mounted in front of the receiver. I want a set that will attach to the picatinny rail back closer to my eye. And I don't want plastic ones I want real iron sights. Maybe some low profile ones. Any suggestions?

If you have bought some and like them hook me up with a link:).
I have used these on a couple ar's now and they have proven quite durable. One set is on a 11.5" ar in 7.62x39 which rattles around in the truck almost non stop and it's zero is spot on every time I shoot it. I do put a bit of blue loctite on the screws to make sure they stay well clamped on they picatinny rails.

This looks interesting. What do you guys think? I've never had a reflex site before but this might be an option. I like it that it has a power button that you just push. My Red Dot sight has a dial that you have to turn and it's hard to turn it takes a lot of time.

I wouldn't expect much out of a 99 dollar optic. But that's just me.

I wouldn't expect much out of a 99 dollar optic. But that's just me.
I'd be willing to pay somewhat more but I kind of like the idea. Got a link to something better perhaps? I would really like a set of iron peeps that I could adjust for elevation at the rear sight that will fit on a Picatinny. But that reflex sight idea looks interesting. I'm not trying to cheap out I'm looking for something that will work.

I'd be willing to pay somewhat more but I kind of like the idea. Got a link to something better perhaps? I would really like a set of iron peeps that I could adjust for elevation at the rear sight that will fit on a Picatinny. But that reflex sight idea looks interesting. I'm not trying to cheap out I'm looking for something that will work.
My favorite iron sights by far.

And as far as red dots I normally would stick with aimpoints.

Last Edited:
If you are going to go with a red dot, check out C-More. I can't speak to self defense or SHTF, but I have several SlideRide models that I use for speed steel matches and they have never let me down. I won't use anything else for said matches.

They have several moa dot sizes that you can choose from and you can even order extra dot modules if you want to try another size dot out. The intensity dial is kinda small, but it's not bad it you get the standard switch. The click switch model has 12 settings that you have to click through individually. I have both and prefer the standard switch.

Edit. The link above is for their polymer body version.They also have an aluminum body version too (all mine are poly). They have been plenty durable enough and are a bit cheaper then the Aluminum version.

Last Edited:
I know this thread is old er, but I just thought I would update it real quick to let you guys know I couldn't really find an iron sight that would work. I ended up getting a halow sun reflex sight and it wasn't exactly cheap haha. But it does work well. It has a 15 minute time out when the rifle is stationary so it saves on the battery, and when you pick the rifle up it automatically turns on.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top