JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It looks like I just sold one of my guns on the classifieds to a member who joined just to buy it. The buyer is about as far away as possible as they are in Florida.

I do have a PayPal account and I know they are not gun friendly and there are risks with it.
I have a VENMO account but only used it one time many years ago. How risky are they to use for gun sales?

What are my other options that are fair and safe for the buyer, but also for me?

EDIT: I use to do this stuff frequently but I have been out of the game for at least 5 years, closer to 10 and I know a lot has changed.

Last Edited:
I'm a believer in USPS MO. They mail it with tracking and you cash it at bank or PO, and you ship firearm with tracking to FFL. Would not trust any third party to honor firearms coverage. There is always the option to have the buyer pay for local FFL brokerage.

Yes, USPS MO is the only way to go....
PayPal, venmo, zelle... or whatever... all have policies that can reverse the payment......
Something about new guys with no feedback makes me hesitate

I'd be hesitant. We were all new once though, so due diligence may resolve the hesitation.

I've done Venmo for larger transactions without issue. Same with PayPal F&F, it protects you from refund. No notes should be included. Nothing cutesy or hinting, nothing. On Venmo you can just use a smiley face.

In this scenario, I'd request a Postal Money Order, that protects you the seller from having a funds transfer reversed. From the buyers side, they have your name and address should the deal go awry (not saying it would, just provides the buyer a bit of a comfort level). Once you have the funds in hand, ship the firearm and provide tracking information. Communications make a world of difference, keeping each other updated as to the progress of the transaction

I've been both the buyer and seller involving Postal Money Orders and those deals always went smoothly without a hitch.

YMMV

Another nice thing about postal MO's is if they are lost in the mail, they are usually refunded within a month (Happened to me). Also, as protection to buyer, committing fraud by cashing a Postal MO and running with the money/never shipping a gun in return, is a -federal- felony, and the Postal Inspection Service, who carries duty guns, come knocking, or the local sheriff at their behest. Good luck with that on a private check, bank MO, or a trade.

Another nice thing about postal MO's is if they are lost in the mail, they are usually refunded within a month (Happened to me). Also, as protection to buyer, committing fraud by cashing a Postal MO and running with the money/never shipping a gun in return, is a -federal- felony, and the Postal Inspection Service, who carries duty guns, come knocking, or the local sheriff at their behest. Good luck with that on a private check, bank MO, or a trade.
Is the postal service or local sheriff going to back up the purchaser if the firearm doesn't match the condition represented by the seller?

Really depends on if there is gross fraud or not. Failure to duly inspect an item is really more a bytching point, and wouldn't likely merit investigation. However, sending an airsoft rifle when a $2500 Larue was purchased is clearly as fraudulent as taking the money and ghosting.

I'd go USPS MO and give it time to fully clear your bank, even after cashing it. This was the "industry standard" for gun folk prior to the spread of PayPal usage. You might ask your bank how long it takes for them to fully clear, and they might not even know with how uncommon paper checks and money orders are becoming, but it's typical for them to grant funds and then have a clearinghouse verify the check/MO later. You want to give them enough times to do it and finalize the process before you send goods.

In a lot of ways these very old-school check fraud schemes can still be applied so just be sure you're doing your due diligence to protect yourself.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top