JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't bought a gun from a pawn shop since I can't remember. However, I wound up using one for FFL transfer for gunbroker purchases, and they have a handgun I like.

Their prices look a bit high to me. Are most pawn shops stuck on their gun prices, or do they expect you to dicker with them?

I frequent two pawn-type shops here in WA. At one, what they post is what you'll pay, no negotiation at all. At the second, there's always a little room. So, my experience is "it depends"!

Bob

I think most will budge a little. GNR buyers in Grand Ronde had a old Olympic Arms AR taht I asked to look at and as soon as I had it in my hand the price went from 800 to 700 and he said he had more room than that too! Another one in Mac that I go to has real high prices but I have seen two people walk in, talk the guy down, and walk out with a fair deal.

I don't even remember the last time I was in a pawn shop. I needed a transfer FFL and they had a really long counter full of hand guns - more than the dealers I usually go to. (This was Medford Pawn at 13th and Riverside.)

Naturally I had to browse. I'm not going to pay the price so I guess I'll have to make an offer and see if I get thrown out. :)

My experience is it depends on the shop and the item. The gun you have been looking at for the last 2 months is likely to change especially if they have more than one. The gun you rarely see with a reasonable price, not a chance. It also seems to be hit or miss on prices, some will be crazy high and then you find one you can't leave. I bought my first 44 a redhawk 6 years ago for 299. Like one poster I have had the price drop on some as I was looking at it.

My experience is, some will budge on their prices, sometimes by quite a bit, especially if you seem rather conflicted about whether you want to make the purchase. In the past, I've gotten a shop to sell me for $200 what was marked $250, and another time, got a pistol for $200 when it was marked $230. Not huge sums but still significant percents off of marked price, and an extra $30 or $50 left in the pocket is rarely a bad thing.

The people that sell guns to pawn shops get a very small percent of what they're actually worth. If a pawn shop is selling something for $175, they probably bought it for $45. Naturally, they keep record of what they paid, and they will probably take some off the marked price for you, as long as they're still making a solid profit.

Several times I have seen something that I wanted at one of the local pawn shops. I just pull out the cash where thay can see it and offer *** for it. So far, they have always accepted! They won't kill you for asking. That ain't legal for non-government people!

there is one in portland called I think the money store at 136 or 139th and se powell. the owner there has been really nice to work with there. sometimes he has had some sweet pistols in there at great prices.....

I have tried to neogtiate a couple of times with pawns shops around portland. No budging at all. Their prices are unreasonable. In your case, if they don't budge, just walk away. I stay away from pawn shops...they're dirty. :winkkiss:

there is one I frequent here, and the prices are always negotiable a little bit.... sometimes $50-100+, sometimes they will just throw in the state fee. most all shops will negotiate some... there is a local gun store here that won't budge at all... and for that reason I just look to see what they have, and if it is an AWESOME deal I will entertain it... the bartering is half the fun.

Must be a big city problem, because Rich in Grand Ronde @ GNR buyers
is pretty flexable on his prices as long as you don't try to low-ball him.

I have tried to neogtiate a couple of times with pawns shops around portland. No budging at all. Their prices are unreasonable. In your case, if they don't budge, just walk away. I stay away from pawn shops...they're dirty. :winkkiss:

Yup.....sometimes Pawn Shop prices are CRAZY STUPID.

For example........

Selling a USED Ruger 10/22 for more than I can get a NIB one from Bi-Mart. All else being equal.

Aloha, Mark

Well, I just went back and tried to buy the gun with no luck. ma96782 nailed it on this one. Basically MSRP for a nice used gun. No thanks!

I am going to start looking in pawn shops though if I need something, just not this one. I'd basically forgotten all about them.

Thanks for all the advice. :s0155:

ALL retail stores have the ability to lower a price! That's why they can have SALE prices and still survive. Pawn shops almost always know exactly what their wares are really worth, and price them higher so that there is still some leeway to negotiate. Simply be polite with pawnshop people and you can have good success. They are not greedy profiteers, just ordinary businesspeople that need to profit to stay in business. The gun business however is not exactly rational, because prices are often subjective and based upon legend and affection more than functionality or national price averages.

I have had good success negotiating prices at both gunshow tables and at pawnshops. I am a psychological warfare student and choose my words very carefully. I politely ask, "Do you have any room to move on the price?" This rings all of their subconsious retailer bells, and if they DO have flexibility on the price, I get a better deal.........................elsullo :D

TELL THEM what you will pay for the gun "out the door". They will take the offer if:

1) The gun has been sitting for a while
2) The model isn't a hot mover to begin with
3) You don't offend them with your offer

The last three rifles I purchased were at pawn shops, and all of them I made offers on.

Even if your out-the-door "offer" is exactly what their asking price is, that is still way better than paying tax on anything. If the gun says $500, offer them $500 out the door. In Washington, you are saving $45. Period.

Try it, you might find a lot of success in paying the asking price, out the door. Sometimes you can even knock a few dollars off their price and get it out the door that way. No one will kick your *** for asking....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top