Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

passing on guns to our children and grandchildren aways around transfer bans

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by xm193, Dec 25, 2012.

1. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

I am trying to think ways around possible bans in future such as creating trust, putting the weapons into trust then adding kids to the trust later. any ideas? or suggestions

novamind and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Slashhavoc

Slashhavoc United States New Member

The trust route was my thought as well. it will be interesting to see what other thoughts are...

3. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

When they passed the ban in California requiring registration, they made it impossible to register those firearms to a trust. You people should relax until the actual bill is introduced, then you can explore your options.

4. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

I believe its the same in Canada also. I do not think its time to relax, check your options out. Maybe a trust will work if enacted before the law? If it comes it may not be in the form of a Bill but a Presidential Order. Thus no time or little could be expected.

xm193 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

There is NO way to tell what will work until a ban comes out IF it even does.

6. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

That's my plan. Cheap and easy, just going to use my NFA Trust as a template, change a few things, open a checking account and move everything in.

Greg

7. Nwcid

How is that trust going to work out if the ban says you can not?

If you put them in a trust there is "more" of a record of them.

The ONLY sure way to be able to transfer them to your heirs is to NOT register them, NOT talk about them, NOT show them off, NOT admit to having them and then when the time comes quietly give them to who you want.

TJdamon, fd15k, BVB and 3 others like this.
  8. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

how about the good ol' fashioned "give the guns to your kids and don't tell anyone about it"... seems to have worked really well for over a century.

an estimated 250+ Million firearms in this country. How many of them are even registered or have ever gone through an FFL? I'd guess a significant enough number that the "estimate" is just a "loose guess"

9. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Yeah, except that a trust isn't registered with any government agency. It's a set of papers that exists in a file drawer or safe somewhere until it's needed.

10. Nwcid

I didn't say they were registered, I said there was more of a paperwork. If you are using the trust to transfer guns then that paperwork will have to come to light somewhere along the line.

I am well versed in trust as I have an NFA one and I have considered doing what you are talking about. For me while the disadvantages are small they are still there so I chose not too. I was not saying you were wrong in any way. Just commenting on the opposite side so you have more information to consider before making your choice.

11. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's then smart to put the guns in the trust before such thing is forbidden. Of course there'll then be some additional legislation forbidding to add people to the trust (or however that's called).

Ah yeah, the fun of not going to the range and not NWFA'ing. :)

12. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

You misunderstood. California made it a felony to possess certain firearms if they were not registered to the person before certain date. If the firearms were owned by a trust, then the firearms were not registered to the person, thus possessed illegally. Basically there was no trust loophole available, firearms had to be registered to individuals or removed from the state.