Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Passing marijuana laws preventing people from buying firearms

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by clearconscience, Jul 10, 2015.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

So I was just reading about dylan roof buying a firearm and the ATF screwing up and he shouldn't have been legally able to purchase a firearm with his prior conviction for drug charges.

But with the legalization of marijuana and that possibly raises the amount of people smoking weed or doing so more often, those same people should not be able to legally purchase a firearm if they are answering the ATF form honestly.

So would this not only be a way to keep the people subdued and subordinate, but also keep them from buying firearms?

2. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Dyjital likes this.
  3. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

As I have also brought up in the past. It is currently legal to have a medical MJ card and still get a CHL but once you get that CHL how would you legally buy the handgun to carry? Is recreational use going to be overlooked as well in the application process?

We still do not know how Oregon is going to regulate/tax the sales, are they going to have a database of purchasers? Are they going to pass that info on to NICS?

Dyjital likes this.
  4. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure generations are different on this. I do not care if people smoke. Just like I do not care if they drink. I stay sober but only cause I am an angry drunk and I have never been drug tested at work but it could happen.
    Lots of my good friends smoke pot and some are lawyers, doctors, and contributing members of society. How if the wording reads as it does would they be not answering truthfully? Tax paying good members of our society are clearly not "pot addicts".

If you want pot to go to a data base shouldn't it also read "Are you a drunk" on the form and then you are lying if you have a few beers? Should you be in a data base if you drink? I have grown up with both pot heads and drunks around and I would rather give the stoner a gun than the angry drunk jerk. Stoner might shoot themselves but the ranting alcoholic may well shoot the first person that looks at them funny.

Just very different generations I guess. Most folks under 40 could give a crap if their neighbor smokes a joint here and there.

Mostly I am just glad I do not have to pay taxes to cover some harmless pot head sitting in jail anymore.

5. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

6. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Now that recreational marijuana is legal in Oregon you don't really need a medical card, do you?

Possession of marijuana doesn't necessarily mean you use it either - no more than possession of a CHL means you have firearms on your person.

I have a family member who might benefit from CBD extract - I might benefit from it myself. CBD is a part of marijuana that is not hallucinatory and doesn't intoxicate you like THC does. It helps people with epilepsy and MS and other nervous systems disorders, it is a muscle relaxant (that is what I could use, I have spinal injuries that cause problems with my muscles - some are always painfully tight).

At this point I don't have or use any marijuana (I would use CBD) because I don't want to deal with the legal ambiguities on the federal level and I don't want to risk my job if they ever have me do a drug test like they did when I got the job (which was years ago) or I have to apply for another job where they require a drug test - although, I think, most of those tests test for THC, there is still a little THC in the CBD extract.

Eventually (hopefully sooner than later) we will get to the point where marijuana is legal at the federal level and we will stop harassing its users and everybody will be better off when the gov. stops sticking their nose into people's private lives.

Hybrid Slave likes this.
  7. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I do not have a problem with anyone using it either as I have been contemplating it instead of other pain meds myself. I am just not too trusting of the current power structure in Salem and how they will try to use the new law.

Hopefully it will be sold in the same way as alcohol with no info taken. I am also hopeful that the CHL app. will not add a line about use (Benton county doesn't).

8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

It is an odd bird and hopefully not a tarbaby.. no pun.
    Some well thought out responses and I'm cool with people doing what they want but with databases/record keeping these days.. I don't know.
    It could be bad for a whole lot of people.
    I heard that a couple years ago, AR15.com was wholesale banning members for even hinting that they smoked weed. Anyway.

9. BBQ Guy

BBQ Guy Portland Member

I think the question at this point is what laws do we follow?
    Federal or State?
    In some situations everyone wants Federal laws to trump State laws, then other times everyone wants State to trump Federal laws. I think in most cases it is whatever law that will benefit them the most.
    In regards to people using marijuana, i didnt care what people did with it before the law changed, and i dont care now.

Oathkeeper1775 likes this.
  10. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

One more time - the people who have been arrested, or denied a CHL, were those that had more serious problems with the feds, or who chose to blatantly thumb their noses at local law enforcement over marijuana use. There is the exception of the Kettle Falls Five, but the feds eventually dropped the most serious charges, included gun related charges.

11. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

While true it cost those guys just about everything.

12. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

If we want to be responsible firearm owners we should make sure that we follow all laws. State AND Federal.

When the time comes for finger pointing let us make sure we have our noses and asses clean.

13. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Even I contacted my legislator about this incident...it's either legal or it's not...legislator must have assumed I was stating that I was the person denied because the response I received was "get a lawyer".

@PiratePast40 please click the link and see the video...

1) She has no prior convictions and was RENEWING her license
    2) She has not had any negative contact with Law Enforcement (even the Chief of Police stated that if she hadn't had included her Medical Marijuana letter he wouldn't have denied her renewal).
    3) She was following the law, is not addicted nor is she an illegal user

14. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I saw that news story - from OP - My thought was this: what makes a drug charge a disqualifying event? Just because you are convicted on a drug charge, does not make you a drug user, much less addicted.

I know there are certain convictions which prevent you from owning/possessing - and we have discussed that before. ie if after serving your time, why are your rights not automatically restored?

And, the news certainly didn't state "convicted on felony charges"

IAMAL and I know there is always more to the story than what makes it in print.

(Since I don't watch cat videos, if I insisted only on being outraged on the correct facts, I'd give up 90% of my internet fun time)

15. PiratePast40

You are correct sir, and I am wrong on this. I had thought there was a back story about someone having multiple discussions and taunting the police chief with her MM card. Was that a different event?

16. WasrNwarpaint

WasrNwarpaint Portland Well-Known Member

I dont believe that Oregon will be setting people up for denial of gun purchases over pot

they already make a provision for people that were convicted of pot possession prior to 1975 I believe maybe 72....regardless Oregon knows many of us were screwed blued and tattooed by the system in the 60's & 70's (thankyou Oregon)....pot smokers are not criminals by nature

BearSlayer338 and BBQ Guy like this.
  17. PiratePast40

I believe that is the core of the issue. Decriminalizing recreational and medical use should be the main reason for legalization. Some seem to to make it all about playing by the rules, without regard to the substance or it's effects.

BearSlayer338 and BBQ Guy like this.
  18. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Still wont touch the stuff until its legal federally. Ill stick with tequila.

IronMonster likes this.
  19. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

We seem to have forgotten that America is supposed to be a country where you DON'T live by toeing the Man's line. Isn't that the bubbleguming point, the very justification for this country's existence?

20. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

"legal" is very subjective. I read recently that when you add up all the state and federal firearms laws there are over 20,000 on the books. Even if you are a stand up guy with no nefarious leanings odds are you break the law from time to time. There can be a drastic variance between what is the morally correct thing to do and what is correct in the eyes of the law. A honast and upstanding citizen has a moral duty to ignore unjust laws. The kicker is unjust is subjective.

If the law said I could not intervene and protect an innocent victim who was in great danger would you stand by? No, law be damed you help and to hell with the consequences. It's the right thing and always will be no matter what law is passed against it.

I was in court once and struck up a conversation with the state prosecutor. I ask him what he thought about a prohibited person having a firearm for protection. He flat out told me that he would rather see a prohibited person have an illegal firearm and have the ability to protect his family than he would see them become the victim of violence because they could not legally protect their family. He said and I Quote. "A man has a duty to protect his family, period".

He also said he would send the guy to jail, but jail is temporary and the lives of loved ones trumps law.

Course this was in Idaho, a far more libertarian state than where I currently live. I have no doubt in Washington the reply would be "no one needs a firearm"