JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have heard of cards canceled for none use. Since my Chase card is tied to Amazon I doubt they will want to end it but, if they do? Fine with me. I have no doubt someone will want my business. Last vehicle we bought we financed through a CU I had never heard of. Now they send me invites to take one of their cards ever month or so.
I've had it done to friends, mostly old WWII vets who tended toward "hyper-responsible" about "pay off a debt as soon as you can--one of them even showed me how he kept a ledger of his charges so that all he needed to fill in the blank on the check was for Posting Date to arrive.

...who tended toward "hyper-responsible" about "pay off a debt as soon as you can--one of them even showed me how he kept a ledger of his charges so that all he needed to fill in the blank on the check was for Posting Date to arrive.
Kinda like me... although I'm sufficiently "advanced" to use Excel... :s0140:

I've had it done to friends, mostly old WWII vets who tended toward "hyper-responsible" about "pay off a debt as soon as you can--one of them even showed me how he kept a ledger of his charges so that all he needed to fill in the blank on the check was for Posting Date to arrive.
Anyone who gets a card canceled should have zero problem finding someone who wants their business. Assuming they have very good credit, which if they are responsible they should have.

Kinda like me... although I'm sufficiently "advanced" to use Excel... :s0140:
The two cards I use like I used to use a checking account both show me when I look online what I have to pay and when to keep from charges. So tend to just make a couple payments on pay days. Then make sure I am over the needed amount by the day the account cycles. If either of them decide they do not want my business any more will be a big nothing to me. will just get a replacement. The Discover card has a limit I could go buy a new vehicle with if I wanted to I have been with them so long.

Anyone who gets a card canceled should have zero problem finding someone who wants their business. Assuming they have very good credit, which if they are responsible they should have.
What's funny is BoA sent me another card request, in the form of an Alaska Airlines Signature VISA, less than a year later! Since I do a fair bit of travel using Alaska, I figured, "WTH, if they're gonna give me another card (with a >20% increase in my credit limit, too), then I'll get some miles out of this."

So, even though I cancelled their card in September of 2016, I got a new one from them in August of 2017 with a $28k limit this time.
I guess they never learn, or it could have had something to do with this: :s0140:

850 FICO.jpg

The two cards I use like I used to use a checking account both show me when I look online what I have to pay and when to keep from charges. So tend to just make a couple payments on pay days. Then make sure I am over the needed amount by the day the account cycles. If either of them decide they do not want my business any more will be a big nothing to me. will just get a replacement. The Discover card has a limit I could go buy a new vehicle with if I wanted to I have been with them so long.
I just have all of my accounts set to "Pay Off Statement Balance" every month.
I don't ever buy anything that I don't already have the money in the credit union for, so I never worry about anything bouncing.
Don't ever have to even think about it. It's glorious...

Last Edited:
What's funny is BoA sent me another card request, in the form of an Alaska Airlines Signature VISA, less than a year later! Since I do a fair bit of travel using Alaska, I figured, "WTH, if they're gonna give me another card (with a >20% increase in my credit limit, too), then I'll get some miles out of this."

So, even though I cancelled their card in September of 2016, I got a new one from them in August of 2017 with a $28k limit this time.
I guess they never learn, or it could have had something to do with this: :s0140:

View attachment 1001750
sobo, I'm a developer and builder in the area where you live. Something I have noticed, especially since prices have escalated, is that a lot of long time locals are paying cash for their new homes, or buying well below what they are pre-approved for. Buyers coming in from out of town are more often going minimal down. We have had quite a few pre-sales where folks keep adding upgrades and have to continually get us a new pre-approval letter for the new amount because they are borrowing close to the max a lender will give them. Seems like long time residents east of the mountains are much more fiscally conservative than a lot of the rest of the state and country.

The firearms business is a serious sideline, as firearms are a passion. My sales on Gunbroker have increased since I started allowing layaway and the use of credit cards. I'm a type 7 and SOT 2. My local buyers usually bring actual greenbacks when picking up firearms and silencers.

View attachment 1001750
YEP! Keep your credit intact and there is ALWAYS someone wanting your business. We get at least a couple offers monthly from places I know of and some I do not. The Chase card I use that gets the 5% from Amazon, Amazon was begging me to take for a year or two before I did. Kept sweetening the offer with every time I would buy. When I finally said yes it was when I was when I was buying myself another Chromebook for Christmas of 2019. I was ready to hit order when I noticed they were offering to take 40% of the cost off the top and give me 5% of that purchase if I applied for the damn card. So I stopped, typed in the info, took seconds and said approved. Figured why not. Now if Chase gets mad that they don't get interest some day? I will of course just say great, close the account. Others will want my business.
Came in handy a few years ago when we found out we were going to move and my commute was gong to get about 4 times further. Wanted a car with better mileage. When I went to look at one the finance people had a few lenders bidding for my business. It comes in real handy not screwing it up. :D

sobo, I'm a developer and builder in the area where you live. Something I have noticed, especially since prices have escalated, is that a lot of long time locals are paying cash for their new homes, or buying well below what they are pre-approved for. Buyers coming in from out of town are more often going minimal down. We have had quite a few pre-sales where folks keep adding upgrades and have to continually get us a new pre-approval letter for the new amount because they are borrowing close to the max a lender will give them.
The next big crash setting up to T off. :s0092:
People for the most part learn nothing from history. The part that burns me about this is when they make another bubble and it of course pops, the banks and law makers will all act like it was not them, and here come the bail outs, with tax money, all over again. :mad:

The next big crash setting up to T off. :s0092:
People for the most part learn nothing from history. The part that burns me about this is when they make another bubble and it of course pops, the banks and law makers will all act like it was not them, and here come the bail outs, with tax money, all over again. :mad:
It's pretty easy to spend other people's money

I noticed more and more sellers now expect the " customer" to pay for transaction fees of 3% for credit cards or debit. I always thought that was the cost of doing business? When I had a small business, I had to file every quarter and pay tax and fees. I didn't try to pass transaction fees onto the customer. Is this the new norm now on places like Gunbroker? Even FFL's are doing this.:rolleyes:
I was a banker when BankAmericard (now VISA) was first introduced. It was sold to the merchants as a way for customers to buy on credit and therefore increase the merchant's business. It did do that.

Merchants would lose their account if they charged the fee to the customer.

I suspect that a lot of (maybe most) gun and ammo purchases wouldn't happen if customers couldn't charge it to the CC.

Cheers

I was a banker when BankAmericard (now VISA) was first introduced. It was sold to the merchants as a way for customers to buy on credit and therefore increase the merchant's business. It did do that.

Merchants would lose their account if they charged the fee to the customer.

I suspect that a lot of (maybe most) gun and ammo purchases wouldn't happen if customers couldn't charge it to the CC.

Cheers
I keep hearing the Cards have business sign and agreement not to pass on the charge and that if they do they get tossed. What no one ever seems to be able to answer is why gun shops here have done this for as long as I can remember. I keep hearing it was against the law, and that it just could not be done, yet I have been watching it done for as long as I can remember here. So I have to guess the card people just did not want to push it.

I keep hearing the Cards have business sign and agreement not to pass on the charge and that if they do they get tossed. What no one ever seems to be able to answer is why gun shops here have done this for as long as I can remember. I keep hearing it was against the law, and that it just could not be done, yet I have been watching it done for as long as I can remember here. So I have to guess the card people just did not want to push it.
My credit card processor says I am allowed to pass on the fees but I hafta put it into writing with them first

My credit card processor says I am allowed to pass on the fees but I hafta put it into writing with them first
Now that must be how they have been doing it then. I never cared, was always willing to just bring cash. It's been like this here since I came back here in the 90's. Every time this comes up I kept reading people saying they "knew for fact" that is was illegal and that the card Co's would toss you for doing it. Since I never cared don't think I ever asked one of the shops how they did it. Just thought it "odd" that so many were so "sure" it was not allowable while I have been watching it done. :s0092:
The shops all do seem to have in on a large sign letting all know. Also is on the price tag on the guns. I always thought that was just to keep the screaming down for those who pull out plastic and are mad when told they had to pay to use it. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews