JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bubblegum, don't go to England.
austinpowerspump.png

On Gunbroker I avoid sellers that say they charge 3% for the use of a credit card.
I also avoid sellers that want a USPS money order.

A smart seller will say that they offer a cash discount and will not blabber about a 3% upcharge.
That's a win.
Sellers who charge a fee for the use of your credit card must state they do by law & by their agreement with their credit card processing company--they don't mention it just to piss you off, bud

Small businessowner here. I have no interest in eating 3% so you can get 1.5% back from the CC company. Get a cash advance if putting it on a CC is so important. That or I can just raise my prices 3% and you can cover the CC fee even if you pay with cash.

Small businessowner here. I have no interest in eating 3% so you can get 1.5% back from the CC company. Get a cash advance if putting it on a CC is so important. That or I can just raise my prices 3% and you can cover the CC fee even if you pay with cash.
Goddamnnnn right! When did people forget this is a capitalist country. A free bubbleguming market. It's as apple pie as guns and free speech.

So just another case of me doing it wrong. I wasn't going to take cards at all when I set up my business. I spent a lot of time figuring out my prices to be fair and still make some money. At my first gun show I had 12 sales and four other people asked if I took cards "I said no, but there is an ATM machine right there". All four walked right past the machine and out the door. I'm no dummy, I can lose 3.5% off of the card sales but gain 25% in sales by taking cards. I didn't change my prices to reflect the card fees choosing instead to reward cash buyers with a 5% discount.

Is this unethical or smart ?
I say it's smart and it's easy. No one loses any hide. Everybody walks away happy.
Why put off potential buyers with all this blabbering about a 3% CC fee ?

There's no free lunch, but if you're selling your truck why not wash it ?
Or sell it dirty at a discount.

Screen-Shot-07-21-21-at-07-26-PM.png

There should be a benefit to using cash.
Except there, generally, isn't. If something is being sold for 9.99 and the biz says, +3% when paying via CC...that's not a benefit to using cash...just the avoidance of a negative. There's probably a store down the street that'll offer the widget for 9.99 with no up charge for plastic...meaning it's worth it to me to go to that store for the convenience.

I'm all for biz making cash king again...but it's got to come as an incentive, not the avoidance of disincentive.

This is exactly what my credit card processor told me to do--just raise all my prices & let the cash/check paying clients pay extra--That never sounded fair to me

Last Edited:
Another reason declaring a cash discount wins.
When I signed the contract with my credit card processor I promised to treat credit cards as cash. Then when I started selling guns I was marking them up $50 over what I paid for them & paying for the credit card fees on top of that was out.

With what I was paying to rent tables & helpers at the gun show I was lucky to break even & that was with charging the extra 3% for credit cards

I'm a small business owner and begrudgingly eat the 3%. My customers all pay via CC for speed of service.
How about the ones with airline miles? Some of those top 5%. It really ticks the boss lady off to have a customer whip out a card and brag about the airline miles they'll get off of paying a bill that is fairly large ($2000 up). She knows how much of a hit she takes on that...
And loose change is queen….
It adds up quickly! I keep it.

I saw a guy wearing that once and got a great laugh out of it. We now use that saying around the shop a lot.

Why is coin money still a thing?
It's like the 1911 of physical currency.

Overwhelming response in ..4 ,3 ,2

bubblegum, don't go to England.

or Australia… the smallest note they print is a fiver… below that it's coinage, but at least they round up in .05 increments and don't do pennies…. I've always hated the "99¢" price schemes.

Last I heard, charging a fee to use a CC was not legal. Like gun laws though, only the law abiding seem to take notice.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top