JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most people do not understand that 3-5% profit is typical. My dad always told me that 10% profit was amazing.

I would rather put that 3% CC fee back in the mom & pop shop owners with cash. Hopefully they no sale that bill and pocket the cash too.
My Dad told me the manufacturer creates the product then doubles their money on it--they sell to the distributor who then doubles his money--He sells it to the retailer, who then doubles his money.

I know grocery stores are more than doubling what they pay for on their product, so who knows?

I don't really care how a vendor handles it AS LONG AS THEY ARE UP FRONT ABOUT IT. When I buy something, I just want to know what the "out the door" price is. Line item it any way you want. I just want to be able to compare the cost of different vendors easily. If you hide a surcharge or fee until checkout, expect me no nope the f out just because you ticked me off by hiding additional charges.

My Dad told me the manufacturer creates the product then doubles their money on it--they sell to the distributor who then doubles his money--He sells it to the retailer, who then doubles his money.

I know grocery stores are more than doubling what they pay for on their product, so who knows?
Having worked in some retail that is not how it really shakes out, at least not for a lot of it. Where Wife works if she is paying $10 for an item they then sell for $20 they do not just double their cash in the sense many think of it. Out of that extra $10 they then have all the hands out wanting a piece of that 10. This was why grocery stores for decades would not take plastic. Their margin was too thin to absorb that cost. One day one big chain decided to take plastic, just passed the cost off, so others soon had to follow. I have also worked years in a distributor. We did not even come close to selling stuff we paid $10 for $20. I knew as I could see our price and could buy from us at real cost. We made our profit by buying stuff in huge quantity and selling the same way. There is probably some items that are rare and such where there is that kind of markup but it is far from the normal.

You always have to factor down with the expenses though. Mark up is one thing, profit is another.

I can say the customer always pays one way or the other at least you can pay less with cash. I feel it is the more honest way to do it

I've noticed it more with gun business than any other form of retail. O
Quoting my own previous post. There is another line of business where this practice is very common. Precious metals dealers and coin dealers. Almost universal with bullion purchases. Some coin dealers will take CC without laying the charges back on the customer if it's a collector coin. Because their margin is wider on those. On bullion and bullion coins, the margin is more competitive and well-defined.

It's really very simple, when I was selling guns my average sale was about $500 & my profit was $50. Take 3% out of it and now my profit is $35.

I was further expected to take at least $5-10 off that price because so many gun buyers are cheap bastards--only way I was able to survive was working at my regular job during the week

Honestly --do cheap bastards talk down cashiers at the grocery store? How about at restaurants?

I was further expected to take at least $5-10 off that price because so many gun buyers are cheap bastards--only way I was able to survive was working at my regular job during the week

Honestly --do cheap bastards talk down cashiers at the grocery store? How about at restaurants?
You woulda liked selling me gunz. I just pay what's on the sticker, NQA. If I think it's too high in my opinion, then I just don't buy it. No need to haggle...

Oh, and I don't dicker with the grocery store cashiers, and I always tip at least 20% (unless there's a significant reason not to).
More if I really liked the service/meal. Over 45 years ago, I bussed tables and washed dishes, so I know what restaurant work is like...

It's really very simple, when I was selling guns my average sale was about $500 & my profit was $50. Take 3% out of it and now my profit is $35.

If you didn't want to give discounts why did you do it in the first place?
Why did you keep doing it?
If I know some dealer will haggle, I'll go there and shop because haggling is part of the fun.
I always ask if there's a cash discount when dealing with contractors and other shops with what I consider a "big ticket" items. And I've never held a gun on any of them. They either say yes or no. You can too. ;)

Last Edited:
If you didn't want to give discounts why did you do it in the first place?
Why did you keep doing it?
If I know some dealer will haggle, I'll go there and shop because haggling is part of the fun.
I always ask if there's a cash discount when dealing with contractors and other shops with what I consider a "big ticket" items. And I've never held a gun on any of them. They either say yes or no. You can too. ;)
For many years I didn't give a discount but near the end of my gun selling I realized it was better to take $5-10 off and sell another gun, even if I only made $40 on it because many cheap bastards will simply walk away rather than pay what anybody was asking, if they didn't get some kind of discount

Last Edited:
I'm okay with cash-discounts on principle--better to put a cost upon those who make you incur the expense than spread it upon those who don't bear the responsibility.
I think most everybody is OK with a cash discount, unfortunately the standard contract the credit card processors use say the card is to be treated as cash, which means that no cash discount is offered

You woulda liked selling me gunz. I just pay what's on the sticker, NQA. If I think it's too high in my opinion, then I just don't buy it. No need to haggle...

Oh, and I don't dicker with the grocery store cashiers, and I always tip at least 20% (unless there's a significant reason not to).
More if I really liked the service/meal. Over 45 years ago, I bussed tables and washed dishes, so I know what restaurant work is like...
My Wife actually tipped the dealer last time she picked up a gun. Price ended something like $2 and change. She gave them $5 over and said keep it. We have been dealing with the people since they opened couple decades back and like them.

I'm a type 7 FFL and SOT 2. When I have inventory that doesn't sell locally, I put some of it on Gunbroker. I offer free 60 day layaway with no extra fees, but I do charge 2.5% more is someone uses a credit card. I picked a middle percentage as it seemed fair, and keeps me from eating too much. It's very clearly disclosed, and the only real way to deal with credit card fees on that platform if you are going to charge more for card use. As things continue to cool down a bit with regard to demand, the margins on most firearms aren't great.

On a lot of platforms, it's obvious that some sellers are making a fair amount of profit on the shipping charges. It's all fully disclosed up front, but that has always seemed a little shady to me.

What's annoying is sellers who won't even let you estimate shipping until AFTER you've put in all your personal info and are only payment info away from completing the order.

Sorry, this is gonna sound peevish... I provide my clients with complete transparency on the expenses I incur on their behalf and my rate structure (pretty much unless you go out of your way to piss me off I'm gonna look for every opportunity to cut you a break while making fair return), and while not to the same extent I expect those who seek my money to at least take a few steps in the same direction rather than bushwhack me with surprises.

What's annoying is sellers who won't even let you estimate shipping until AFTER you've put in all your personal info and are only payment info away from completing the order.

Sorry, this is gonna sound peevish... I provide my clients with complete transparency on the expenses I incur on their behalf and my rate structure (pretty much unless you go out of your way to piss me off I'm gonna look for every opportunity to cut you a break while making fair return), and while not to the same extent I expect those who seek my money to at least take a few steps in the same direction rather than bushwhack me with surprises.
I agree. I weigh and measure whatever I am selling list and list a flat rate for shipping. It also makes immediate checkout easier for buyers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top