JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pasco Shooting at Apartment Complex - KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Pasco Shooting at Apartment Complex
Posted: Aug 15, 2010 5:15 PM PDT
Updated: Aug 15, 2010 5:56 PM PDT

PASCO, Wash.— Neighbors are shaken-up after a shooting happened in their apartment complex just off of 68th Street early Sunday morning.

We spoke with a resident of StoneGate Apartments. He tells us his fiancé heard the gunshot around 1:30am Sunday. Following the gunfire they heard people running around and cars drive by.

Outside they found their car window busted and a bullet in their sun visor. But what they say is even more scary is their bedroom window was right by the car. Only a few feet the other way and the gunshot would have gone straight through their bedroom window where they were sleeping.

"Well yeah know with the shooting in Chiawana park and now this. Everyday you hear on the radio or on the news that some new gang activity is happening in the Tri Cities or Yakima... kind of scary when you think about it. Like I said I came here from California you think it would be a little more safer here than California but it's almost worse," says Russell Walterman, apartment resident.

The neighbor says Pasco Police came by the apartment about 30 minutes after the shooting.

If you have any information on the shooting or suspects, you are asked to call Pasco Police.
~~~~~

Comparing Pasco to California? Hardly...it IS getting worse, but nowhere as bad as CA.

California's a heckuva big place, bigger than most countries, and you're painting with a mighty broad brush!

Where I lived in San Jose we never had problems, never heard shots fired, and the stats bear it out:
San Jose Crime Statistics (CA) - CityRating.com
It's much lower in all categories than the national average.

I lived in San Diego and L.A. for almost 18 years and the crime in not even close to WA. I was there becuase of the military so I did not have a choice but being in WA or OR is like being in a whole different world. There is no traffic, crime, or many of the other things that I was used to. People here should feel lucky to be living here. CA is a crap hole that is run by nuts. Complete and totally different environments.

San Jose might be a safe place, but how about a few miles from San Jose in East Palo Alto
East Palo Alto Crime Statistics (CA) - CityRating.com
or across the bay in Oakland
Oakland Crime Statistics (CA) - CityRating.com? ;)

Yeah, what's interesting is that local officials and realtors conspired to create the ghetto of East Palo Alto in the fifties by deliberate redlining. It worked, too, dramatically raising property prices outside that $h|+hole.

Oakland, who knows... It's two different cities, with rich folks living on the hillsides and the po' foke down by the bay.

But you know, all the people in EPA (30k) and Oakland (400k) combined don't come close to the population of San Jose (>1M).

Pasco teen OKs plea agreement in park shooting - Mid-Columbia News | Tri-City Herald : Mid-Columbia news

Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010

Pasco teen OKs plea agreement in park shooting
By Paula Horton, Herald staff writer

A Pasco teen who turns 18 on Thursday gained his first conviction as an adult after accepting responsibility for his role in a gang shooting at Pasco's Chiawana Park.

Jose Contreras-Gomez pleaded guilty Tuesday in Franklin County Superior Court to unlawful possession of a firearm, a felony, and three counts of second-degree reckless endangerment, gross misdemeanors.

As part of a plea agreement, charges of first-degree assault and rioting were dismissed.

Contreras-Gomez's case was automatically moved from juvenile court to adult court because of the assault charge.

Contreras-Gomez presented a written statement to Judge Bruce Spanner and apologized in court for making the families who were spending a sunny summer Sunday at the park "horrified for their children" when the shots rang out.

"I just want to change my life," the teen said. "I've been living this way for the past six years, and I finally came to my senses and realized it's not worth it."

Contreras-Gomez said he wants to change his life for his girlfriend and child and wants to make his parents proud.

Defense attorney Jim Egan said he has represented a number of young men over the years who were involved in gangs or shootings and had no desire to stop.

His client is not like that, Egan said, adding he believes Contreras-Gomez will turn his life around.

"This is a young man who's had enough. He's not going to participate in gangs anymore," Egan said. "He's a tough kid. He recognizes that quitting gangs puts him in some physical peril" but is willing to deal with it.

Egan said Contreras-Gomez has a girlfriend he wants to marry and a baby he wants to raise.

Prosecutor Steve Lowe recommended the top end of the sentencing range -- a year in jail -- for the firearm charge and 90 days on the reckless endangerment charge, for a total of one year and three months in jail. Lowe agreed to allow Contreras-Gomez, who had been held in juvenile detention, to serve the time at the county jail on work release instead of being sent to prison.

Lowe said the teen, who is expected to work at his family's business, won't receive any good time credit, so he will serve the entire 15 months.

Judge Spanner agreed to follow the sentencing recommendation and told Contreras-Gomez to be mindful of who his friends are.

"We all tend to resemble those we hang out with. If we hang out with bad people, we do bad things. If we hang out with good people, we do good things," Spanner said. "Keep that in mind. Find good people to hang out with."

Contreras-Gomez was with a group of gang members who confronted Ronnie Lopez, of Pasco, at a barbecue in Chiawana Park on Aug. 1.

Lopez, 23, said he saw the men in the group "throwing gang signs" as they walked by him, then two of them approached and pulled up their shirts to reveal pistols, police and court documents said.

Lopez reportedly knew the men were gang members and told them he didn't want any trouble. David Reyes then came up behind Lopez, jumped him and started punching him, documents said.

Lopez, who has a concealed weapons permit, pulled out his pistol to use in self defense, but it had no bullet in the chamber, documents said. Reyes fired at Lopez several times and Lopez chambered bullets and fired, hitting Reyes twice.

Reyes pleaded guilty last week to assault with a firearm, rioting and three counts of reckless endangerment. He is to be sentenced Jan. 11.

w Paula Horton: 582-1556; phorton@tri cityherald.com
~~~~~

Lopez, who has a concealed weapons permit, pulled out his pistol to use in self defense, but it had no bullet in the chamber, documents said. Reyes fired at Lopez several times and Lopez chambered bullets and fired, hitting Reyes twice.

one in the chamber or its a club, that is a good lesson to walk away with from this article.

Notice how casually the article mentions it taking 30 minutes for police to arrive. I guess that's an acceptable response time for a drive by shooting ;)

Why not? You don't know the officers prior location. What the officers where involved with prior or during the event. They may have be involved with another crime all the way across town. At 1:30am how many LEO's do you think all 3 cities have available?

The event already occured. What is racing through the streets going to do except endanger the citizens and cops?

Shots fired isnt the same as, shots fired victim down.

That town is no way as bad as any town the 'same size' in CA.

Want to do something about it? Go to the City Councel meetings and demand more cops. A gang taskforce. Tell the Judges to give every felon found guility the maximum.

California's a heckuva big place, bigger than most countries, and you're painting with a mighty broad brush!

Where I lived in San Jose we never had problems, never heard shots fired, and the stats bear it out:
San Jose Crime Statistics (CA) - CityRating.com
It's much lower in all categories than the national average.

Where I lived in San Jose, we ALWAYS had problems and shots being fired was the norm; day and night!

If I did not see a chopper at night in San Diego I thought something was really wrong. Nothing like getting shined on. Cruise the boader at night and you might never be seen again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top