JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So after finishing the last build I got to looking through the parts box and realized I had everything to build another; except the frame and slide.

So I picked up a pair of slides off gunbroker (mil specs sill in cosmaline wrap) and a frame from Foster. Wanted to do this project on the cheap. Only needed one but was such a good deal I will just have to find something to do with the other.

The frame took some real work to get rid of the blems and even it out a bit.

I experimented with the top of the slide. I have admired some of the custom slide treatments the real gunsmiths out there do and thought I would see what I could come up with.

Fit up the rest of the parts and parked the whole package. Ran a couple hundred rounds through it to check function and then Duracoated it.

I don't think it came out to bad for a parts gun.:supergrin:

pardon the noob question but what is the purpose of doing that to the top of the slide? just for better grip when working the slide?

It is basically a stylistic treatment. However, when Swenson was doing it, the idea was to dull the top of the slide to prevent glare when sighting. Most of Swenson's guns were finished in hard chrome and although not particularly shiny, could pick up some glare in the sun. This is the same reason the back of the slide and/or rear sight blade is serrated, knock down glare to keep a good sight line.

oh I see. thanks for that info. I always wonder why some 1911 slides had checkering on the back and long serrations on top of the slide. it all makes sense now.

Saread - I would like to have one of Armand's pistols with the Smith revolver sight milled into the slide. He was a real inovator and is probably one reason the 1911 is still so popular today.

Onemanwolfpac - This build was fun and done on the cheap. Most of the parts I had on hand from former projects and guns I worked on for others. The only things I bought were the frame ($180), slide (a pair of them off GB $230) and the gripsafety ($30). Now I have a left over slide I will have to do something with. The barrel and bushing as well as some of the guts of the gun came out of my Colt 70 series that got a Kart barrel and some serious custom work. The hammer is an STI, MSH is Ed Brown, rear site Yost and other sundry items. So the short answer is less than $400 for a very practicle carry/shooter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top