JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of great advice in this thread I need to think over for a bit. Hopefully I can find what I decide on. Im tempted to buy the A Frame while its there and worry about the rest later as who knows how long the ammo crunch will last, I dont think the A Frame would be a bad starting point for elk in this caliber anyways.
Im gonna give it another nights rest.

I think I remember reading an article where different grain weights in a given caliber are constructed differently with Noslers. The higher weight ones had the partition further forward and the lighter ones further back, which will definitely have an effect on the mushroom. Could be mistaken, though. Was a few years back, though the horses for courses saying seems to apply

I have been shooting Nosler Partitions in everything I shoot meat with since the late 60's. I miight have tried Swifts somewhere along the line but they have always been harder to find, so I never tried them. I like the bonded core idea along with the partition, but the flat point on the A-frame seems like an effort to induce quicker expansion which to me feels like a band-aid.

I just can't make myself leave the Noslers... except I might try Accubonds...

I have been shooting Nosler Partitions in everything I shoot meat with since the late 60's. I miight have tried Swifts somewhere along the line but they have always been harder to find, so I never tried them. I like the bonded core idea along with the partition, but the flat point on the A-frame seems like an effort to induce quicker expansion which to me feels like a band-aid.

I just can't make myself leave the Noslers... except I might try Accubonds...
partitions are legendary hunting pills man

interesting I was just thinking about this thread when Deathgrip replied. I thought about the bullet choice over the past few days, the ammo crunch has pretty much removed all hopes of buying any of the options I'm interested in .
Swifts website says they have my AFrame bullet in stock, I even went to buy some but when I hit purchased it accepted but I never got a receipt or charged makes me think they don't have any in stock. Ive also browsed for reloading supplies and components and everything is out of stock, no backorder.
It sucks, I think I'm stuck with what little remaining factory ammo I have to hunt with for long time...

About four years ago I was using two different weights of the Nosler green tips for my 30.06. I was using the 150 gr. for deer and 180 gr. for elk. There was a couple things I didn't like about switching bullet weights. First reason was the need to reload for two different bullets. Second reason was having to sight in my rifle for the two different loads. I then discovered the solid copper Barnes Triple Shock X (TSX). I decided to use one bullet weight (165 gr.) for both deer and elk. These projectiles are very accurate and do an awesome job taking down large game. The copper bullets stay together and don't throw pieces of lead into the surrounding meat. Here's a picture of the TSX that was recovered from a large mule deer. This deer dropped in its tracks. I would definitely give the Barnes TSX a try!

101_3237.jpeg

There was a couple things I didn't like about switching bullet weights. First reason was the need to reload for two different bullets. Second reason was having to sight in my rifle for the two different loads. I then discovered the solid copper Barnes Triple Shock X (TSX)
Those are the same reasons Im looking for the one do it all load. My situation is worse with an undersized caliber for elk... I wish my caliber was the 30-06 but I inherited the rifle. Ive looked at the Barnes TSX as I actually would like to do away with toxic lead. The problem with monolithic bullets in an undersized caliber is they are, even lighter. I think the Barns TSX 115g might be a good elk compromise for my caliber but Im concerned its BC isn't the better accuracy I want for longer distance pronghorn hunting but I dont have a way to judge that without trying. There is a company called Hammer Bullets that makes a .257 cal copper bullet with a 128g which is unique for my caliber but while that one would work for elk I think it would result in a pass thru every time on deer. Not certain though.
Given my 25-06 calibers limitations for elk, I'm thinking now it might be best for me to develop two loads one specific to elk and another specific to deer/pronghorn game where I can maximize the true longer distance potential of my caliber. With all the reloading supplies sold out, I apparently have a lot of time to think about this.

From all the evidence you have laid out, it seems you have two choices. Either go with two different loads, or buy a heavier rifle for elk. I do not see a clear path to a "one size fits all" load.

Both of these were taken with 250 grain Nosler Partition bullets. Shot through a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. Shot them in the Yukon. The Nosler Partition is my go to bullet. I would NEVER use anything else. They do what is needed. Great accuracy and expansion. Have used them on Grizzles, Moose, Elk , Mountain Goats etc. They have never failed me.
img203.jpg img216.jpg

It sucks, I think I'm stuck with what little remaining factory ammo I have to hunt with for long time...
Post a "Wanted" ad for bullets, here, on LongRangeHunting.com, and AccurateShooter, to name a few. True hunters and shooters help each other out.

There is a company called Hammer Bullets that makes a .257 cal copper bullet with a 128g which is unique for my caliber but while that one would work for elk
check your twist rate. Hammer Bullets : Great guys, they do extensive testing, extremely accurate, but expensive at $1/bullet and up. You might also look to Lehigh Defense or Cutting Edge for other monos.

I'm a big fan of the Nosler Partition. I use the 180 grain one out of my .300 Weatherby Magnum.

I'm a HUGE fan of the .25-06, but not for elk. My family has killed many, many, many blacktail bucks with 117 grain Sierra spitzers and I have a lot of confidence in that bullet for blacktail, antelope and smaller game. My son killed a nice 5 pt. Roosevelt elk with it when he was 12. He was a small 12 year-old so I had him shooting the .25-06 because that's about all of the recoil he could handle. He dropped that bull at 300 yards with one shot, but when we were cutting it up and found the bullet, we all felt like we got pretty lucky. The bullet had held up admirably, but it seemed a pitifully small piece of metal to bring down such a large animal. The shot was severely upward and the bullet lodged underneath the spine. The bull collapsed on impact and rolled about 100 yards before striking a big tree. He wasn't dead when we walked up on him, but he couldn't get up. Looking back, I feel like I made some marginal if not poor decisions - letting him shoot 300 yards, not telling him to dial his scope from 4X to 9X, not using a larger caliber. My dad had lung cancer and it was his final elk season, so my undersized (at the time) son taking that bull was a huge thing for our family. Hunting has always played a large (perhaps oversized) part of our lives. We're not a super religious family, but felt like someone was watching over us that day.

I've never tried Partitions in the .25-06. I may have some Hornady Interlocks in my drawer, but haven't tried those either. This year is the 10th anniversary of my dad's passing. I'm thinking I will break out his old Mauser action .25-06 with a thumbhole stock and see if I can take a blacktail with it. It is the same rifle I used 48 years ago to take my first buck. I'll just go with those Sierra spitzers, since I know the rifle likes them.

@Bobbygun love hearing hunting stories like those. I also inherited this rifle from my dad, who I also lost recently to cancer. I agree with your assessment for elk with this caliber, I struggle with adding a new rifle to the collection when the 25-06 "can" do the job cleanly if the hunter stays withing its limits. From what Ive read 300yds would be the very upper limit on elk with this caliber with a well placed shot, where my interest in reloading a partition comes in as I don't get the precision I need with factory ammo even for appropriate size game like deer. Thankfully most shots are within 100yds or less for most big game.
Here is a really good bookmark for anyone who hunts with the 25-06.

@Koda Thanks for the bookmark. I was surprised to read about the current lack in popularity of the .25-06. My boy's first centerfire rifle, the one that took that 5 point bull, was purchased around 2010. It's a Marlin XL7 with a camo stock. Not only do I have my Dad's rifle, I was in Starvin' Marvin's gun store in Eugene about thirty years ago. The purpose of my visit was to pick up a thumb assist loader for my 9mm since I had lost mine (or thought I had). Well, long story short, I walked out with a new $5 thumb assist and a $450 Remington 700 Classic in .25-06 with a 4X12 Nikon Monarch scope mounted on it. I tried to dicker the price down, but I'm afraid Marv saw the lust in my eyes. So, that was one expensive thumb assist. To add insult to injury, I found the thumb assist I thought I had lost, lodged beneath the floating bottom of my range bag. I don't regret the purchase though. Other than a few rifles with sentimental value based on who/where they came from, it is my favorite rifle.

As mentioned in the bookmark you provided, H4831sc is an excellent powder for that caliber. When my boy was younger, I also used some H4895 with 87 grain bullets. It was a recipe I found in Guns and Ammo magazine for reduced recoil rounds. Surprisingly, the 87 grain loads shot pretty much to the same point of impact as my standard H4831sc/117 grain Sierra load. So my boy was able to practice with the light recoil rounds, then I substituted the heavier loads when he headed after big game. He shot that bull with a bipod on the front of his rifle and the buttstock just resting on his shoulder. I don't think he noticed the recoil. He was pretty excited. I stopped the bull with a cow call and then cow after cow crossed in front of him. I was telling him to "wait, wait, wait... okay N(BOOM)OWWW!"

When my grandkids passed Hunter Safety I told them I would buy them each a rifle. My granddaughter took 2 days to do her homework and said "I want a Howa 25-06, and they are on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse." She is partial to the 117 gr as well, but I load it over Reloader 22.

@Bobbygun your 300yd shot story confirms its elk potential with the 25-06, and confirms what Ive read on using it its true potential comes out with reloads... and the use of the bipod tells me you care about shot placement. There are limits on everything and the .25-06 cal for elk is probably pushing it but whats more important than bullet size is terminal performance and shot placement. Your story is consistent with what Ive read on the caliber and the direction I hope to go with mine as Ive reached the limitations in precision with factory ammo. Ive enjoyed reading your experience on the caliber and it seems that learning how to master the gun you have builds that sentimental value that seems to follow the 25-06 keeping it alive.

check your twist rate. Hammer Bullets : Great guys, they do extensive testing, extremely accurate
So when they recommend a "minimum" twist rate of 1:7 does that mean you dont want to go any slower (as in bigger ratio number)?

That probably rules out that bullet in my 1:10 barrel which is common for my caliber.

So when they recommend a "minimum" twist rate of 1:7 does that mean you dont want to go any slower (as in bigger ratio number)?

That probably rules out that bullet in my 1:10 barrel which is common for my caliber.
Yep, exactly why I suggested checking your twist rate. I don't recall you mentioning your rifle, but if it's 1:10, that does limit the bullets you can use. Monos are longer, require faster twist rates for proper stabilization.

Yep, exactly why I suggested checking your twist rate. I don't recall you mentioning your rifle, but if it's 1:10, that does limit the bullets you can use. Monos are longer, require faster twist rates for proper stabilization.
got it, thanks. For some reason when I read "minimum" I think of larger ratio numbers. They should use "or faster" when regarding twist rates. Yeah, Im noticing the limitations using monos with my caliber for big game... Im one of those that wants to do my part environmentally but ultimately an ethical fast kill is more important, I will probably stick with a lead core bullet.

got it, thanks. For some reason when I read "minimum" I think of larger ratio numbers. They should use "or faster" when regarding twist rates. Yeah, Im noticing the limitations using monos with my caliber for big game... Im one of those that wants to do my part environmentally but ultimately an ethical fast kill is more important, I will probably stick with a lead core bullet.

The 100gr TTSX will do it all.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top