JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They seem to be the equivalent of each other by design. If I just look at the cross section picture of each is seems the Swift has a thicker copper jacket which my guess would offer slightly more penetration, where the Nosler Partition has a more pointed tip which might make it slightly more accurate. Just a guess.

Any preferences, opinions or real world experiences between the two? What would you choose to hunt big game with?

1611613112580.png ...

(Swift)
1611613138945.png

I have always used Nosler, but both bullets would serve you well.
If you go with Nosler the Accubond is a great bullet too.
Depending on what you are asking the bullet to do even the Nosler BT works well for a little lower cost.

Think of swift a frames as a bonded partition because that is the basic difference. I believe partitions tend to kill a bit faster as the front end comes apart easier and imparts shock and awe while the base drives on usually all the way through except on rakish shots. A frames hold together better and will generally penetrate very deeply with a textbook mushroom and very high weight retention. I think of partitions as good for everything but I would probably hedge my bet and use swifts for mammals larger than elk especially if they have claws. I shot a 1000 # moose stern to stem with a 175 gr swift a-frame out of a 7mag and performance was impressive. He stood there for a moment and then just tipped over. I recovered bullet just under hide of chest and it weighed within 10gr of original weight.

Think of swift a frames as a bonded partition because that is the basic difference. I believe partitions tend to kill a bit faster as the front end comes apart easier and imparts shock and awe while the base drives on usually all the way through except on rakish shots. A frames hold together better and will generally penetrate very deeply with a textbook mushroom and very high weight retention. I think of partitions as good for everything but I would probably hedge my bet and use swifts for mammals larger than elk especially if they have claws. I shot a 1000 # moose stern to stem with a 175 gr swift a-frame out of a 7mag and performance was impressive. He stood there for a moment and then just tipped over. I recovered bullet just under hide of chest and it weighed within 10gr of original weight.
Your moose experience correlates nicely with what reviews Im reading online, basically while both brand have great penetration the Swift has a bit more than the Nosler.
You probably recall my recent reloading post and know my project, Im "window" shopping and found the Swift available online but Nosler is out of stock and with the current crunch uncertain if anything will be available soon. Im going back and forth on buying up the Swift projectiles while available, though I think the Nosler Partition might be a better compromise for my reloading project Im just uncertain when if at all in the next year they will be available.

Your moose experience correlates nicely with what reviews Im reading online, basically while both brand have great penetration the Swift has a bit more than the Nosler.
You probably recall my recent reloading post and know my project, Im "window" shopping and found the Swift available online but Nosler is out of stock and with the current crunch uncertain if anything will be available soon. Im going back and forth on buying up the Swift projectiles while available, though I think the Nosler Partition might be a better compromise for my reloading project Im just uncertain when if at all in the next year they will be available.
I think swifts are mostly overkill for the lower 48 but I would not hesitate to use them if partitions are not available. Shooters pro shop is an outlet for nosler bullets both seconds and overruns, they occasionally have partitions available. What cal and weight are you seeking and I can keep an eye out.

I think swifts are mostly overkill for the lower 48
Agree and thats my only hesitation with the Swift A Frame, though Im also shooting a caliber on the small end for elk so while I want penetration there Im also not wanting to overpenetrate deer size game with the Swift projectile.
Im looking for 25-06, 120g.

Yeah, I'm asking for a lot with that caliber but think it can work. I will bookmark that shootersproshop link, do projectile blemishes affect accuracy?

I have never had any problems with them but I suppose it depends on the flaw. Most of the blems I have received from them has been purely cosmetic. I don't have much experience with them but many swear by barnes all copper bullets punching above their weight. Of course finding them in stock may be a trick too.

@osprey Ive put some thought into this idea of limiting myself to only one all around load for the 25-06. Rather than elaborate for now, would you suggest the Swift A-Frame a better choice for elk only in that cartridge than the Nosler Partition? Im leaning that way myself...

A well constructed 120 gr bullet going 3000fps is nothing to sneeze at! It possibly may be a very good choice and certainly has the characteristics to do all that is needed. The only caveat is will it be a good match for your particular rifle accuracy wise? When shooting a critter like an elk with a setup like this, bullet placement will become more critical and the more accuracy that can be wrung out the better. I have on a few occasions bought a certain bullet thinking it would be perfect for a certain rifle and it's mission. Unfortunately, after load development and all the tricks applied I couldn't get it to shoot in that rifle. Fortunately this has been fairly rare so I like your chances.

The only caveat is will it be a good match for your particular rifle accuracy wise?
thats the dilemma, whats affecting this decision entirely is the current ammo crunch and not knowing how long it will be till I can find whatever I decide is best. Right now I can buy a good supply of the Swift A Frame, nothing on the Nosler Partition. Because of the ammo crunch I'm ready to drop a couple hundred right now just to secure a good supply of premium projectiles to both develop the load and hunt with for a long while. Yet, I have no idea how it will perform out of my barrel...
Id like to think it would be an improvement over factory ammo. Id like to think the odds are too low to worry about that it wont perform out of my barrel...
Talk about first world problems.... lol

(Side note: Ive done a good amount of reading on this caliber for elk and part of my motivation to reload is improving bullet placement for these reasons. Ive dropped 4 bulls with this rifle all 1 shot kills, currently with factory ammo I need to stay under about 200yds though I can accurately reach paper at 300 from a bench... I just dont think this caliber is good past 250yds at most for elk but Id like to maximize its terminal performance if reloading for it within its capable range anyways. Deer and Antelope are another story where Id like to increase precision at ranges past 300 yds if possible, I was thinking today if I invest in reloading equipement why not develope two loads. I dont know yet if I like the idea of different sight ins per hunt is why Im looking for the do it all loading... )

Here's my $.02. My experiences with the A-Frame and Partition are the same as Osprey's. I wouldn't bother with A-Frames unless the animal was at least elk-sized. I didn't catch the one I shot through a deer (165gr out of a 30-06), but the deer ran a long way. Perfect broadside shot too. I hit higher than I would have liked, but still hit lungs.

Partitions open up fairly quick and the couple I've recovered often had a bulge in the lower half. They seem to do more damage internally, but don't penetrate as well as an A-Frame (not a bad thing, especially on deer or elk).

When it comes to the 120gr A-Frame in a 25-06, I wouldn't. A 270 will push 150gr bullets as fast as a 25-06 will push 120s. It will also push 130s faster.

The 25-06 can give you lots of velocity with little recoil. If you want a bullet that's big-game capable, I'd consider the 100gr Barnes Tipped TSX or 110gr Nosler Accubond. Keep the speed, plenty tough, low recoil.

@Ura-Ki has experience with the swift if not both bullets.

ive seen countless game taken with nosler partitions. kinda like the cool kids hunting bullet for its time. i consider them one of those "go to" bullets for big game.

@Ura-Ki has experience with the swift if not both bullets.

ive seen countless game taken with nosler partitions. kinda like the cool kids hunting bullet for its time. i consider them one of those "go to" bullets for big game.
That I do! My experience with Swift A-Frames is that they are very caliber specific, in that they seem to perform better in the slicker calibers like the .270, 7mm, and .30/06 and .300 Win. where they really shine! They need to be driven hard to really get the best out of them, but you will be rewarded for your efforts! I shoot the Siroccos mostly, as they tend to fly much straighter in adverse conditions and they punch deep with very rapid expansion, almost like the accubond's while retaining their weight very well! These have become my go to bullet across the board up to the .338, then I switch over to the Norma Oryx's through the .375, and then back to the A-Frame for the .404, the .405, and .500 :cool:
In the smaller .243 and the 6.5X55, I found the A-Frames didn't have the accuracy that the rifles are capable of, enough to cause concern in my abilities to get hits exactly where I needed them, and frankly, there are other bullets better suited for those two calibers, but it was a good eye opener for me!

When it comes to the 120gr A-Frame in a 25-06, I wouldn't. A 270 will push 150gr bullets as fast as a 25-06 will push 120s. It will also push 130s faster.

The 25-06 can give you lots of velocity with little recoil. If you want a bullet that's big-game capable, I'd consider the 100gr Barnes Tipped TSX or 110gr Nosler Accubond. Keep the speed, plenty tough, low recoil.
But then Id have to buy a new rifle.
Ive thought about other bullets but I dont want to go less than 117g for elk with this caliber. The Swift Scirocco or Nosler Accubond are close choices.

Im contemplating the merits of 2 loads using the aframe for elk only but then Id have to rezero for each hunt and dont like that.

But then Id have to buy a new rifle.
Ive thought about other bullets but I dont want to go less than 117g for elk with this caliber. The Swift Scirocco or Nosler Accubond are close choices.

Im contemplating the merits of 2 loads using the aframe for elk only but then Id have to rezero for each hunt and dont like that.

The 100gr TTSX will retain 99% of its weight and is a wicked bullet when pushed fast. A partition will retain around 60%. That means a 120gr bullet then weighs 72gr. Monolithics like Barnes outperform their weight by a good margin.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top