JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Has anyone received a response from the Owners/Management explaining the sign yet?

Not a peep. Nor do I expect a reply. And really? I don't care.

I also don't feel like trying to "teach" the owners something by displaying a holstered weapon in a store with a "no guns" sign. People who go out of their way to make me feel unwelcome aren't typically receptive to my opposing views anyway. So will parading a pistol in there somehow "educate" them? Hardly.

At the same time, it's not a big chore for me to fire off a paragraph to the owner/manager and explain (coherently) why I'll no longer buy fasteners, adhesives, fixtures, paint, tools, etc., in that store.

- Their sign
- My opinion
- We've exchanged info

That's the end of the story for me unless I get an email back saying they've reversed their policy because my business is important. Maybe 100 similar emails might sink in a little bit? Perhaps not. Either way, there are other places where I can buy stuff to maintain my mid-century home - and, frankly, cheaper.

I had an argument with Costco once about them not allowing me my Constitutional rights while inside their store. The counterperson told me about the time he was working in california at a Costco there & an angry person with an AK-47 came walking up towards the store, he said "We were able to protect every customer by simply closing the doors, that kept the nut with the gun outside."
I asked him about all the people who had been disarmed by Costco & were now out in the parking lot with a armed gunman?

Seems they weren't his problem or yours
I'm sure that you did gun owners a world of good that day; I'm sure we're all very grateful for your help against Cosco.

The only time gun-free zones become a problem is when they apply to places you have no choice but to frequent- cities that ban guns, states that ban guns, city or state offices, schools, etc. You could even make a pretty good case for your place of employment, though I'd stull side with property rights, on that one. You can chose where you work, just like you can chose where you shop. You CAN'T chose whether or not to go to court if you get a ticket, nor whether or not to go to city hall if you want to get married, or work if you're in the military, and it's a bit more ridiculous to expect people to MOVE from their home city/state just to be able to exercise their rights (especially considering the Constitution EXPRESSLY protects against these infringements anyway).

But do you see the difference? You can TOTALLY chose not to go to Costco. I've had a membership for like 10 years, and I've only personally been in that place like 3 times. It's not hard.

Accent Signage Systems Shooting September 27, 2013
Sikh Temple Shooting August 5, 2013
Aurora Theater Shooting July 20, 2013

Are they different?
Good intentioned folks gunned down, sure seems the same to me...

I'd like to think If the sign came down at least then it wouldn't be 100% obvious that Every honest citizen who exits the store(s) has been disarmed by that stupid sign.

Goes for Costco as well, but I do prefer to shop Sam's Club-They welcome me & my Constitutional rights in their store, just like wal-mart does

Are they different?

Different than what? You certainly don't have to frequent those places either.

You also don't have to abide by private property prohibitions- as I said earlier, I've walked past the Ace sign with a gun more times than I can ever count.

But you DO have to GTFO if I ask you to get the GTFO my privately owned property, and it doesn't matter if it's because you're carrying a gun or if I just plain don't like you.

Someone did have to "frequent those places" Ben Beckerich, when a private business posts a "no guns" sign it also affects the employees. Why should those people lose their Constitutional rights?
No one has to frequent those places. That's where your "logic" falls apart.

Futhermore, when employees choose to work behind such a sign, without a weapon, they have not lost any rights whatsoever.

You seem to be confused on what a right is. Without a clear understanding of what that basic mechanism is, you aren't going to understand this issue, and you're going to spend a lot of time angry.

And here is the e-mail I sent:

When I entered your Parkrose store I was greeted by a sign that read "No firearms or weapons allowed in this building".

Do you believe that this sign will make anyone safer?

Do you believe that a criminal intent on robbery or violence will turn around when he sees the sign?

The only people who are likely to be affected by the sign are law abiding concealed carry permit holders.

All you have achieved is to alienate a customer.

After nearly 20 years of doing business with you as a commercial / industrial account, it is time for us to part ways.
Well written-polite, short, and to the point.

No one has to frequent those places. That's where your "logic" falls apart.

Futhermore, when employees choose to work behind such a sign, without a weapon, they have not lost any rights whatsoever.

You seem to be confused on what a right is. Without a clear understanding of what that basic mechanism is, you aren't going to understand this issue, and you're going to spend a lot of time angry.

Actually what I do is let these places make me into a criminal when I pack my concealed gun along with. I didn't just make a two hour round trip, only to find the movie theatre put up a new sign. I just don't think I should have to become a criminal to follow the Constitution & Bill of Rights in my own country. Also as I said Someone does have to work all the places where dead folks occurred from a No Guns sign. But no, you guys just keep up your lil' mantra, it fits you very well. Ommm no one has to frequent those places, Ommm

BTW the sign just went up, so i'll simply extrapolate for You. Lets see, The employees voted & decided to shut up & not get fired, as it has become rather difficult & troublesome getting a new minimum wage job lately (I heard) so the sign is fine, could that have been how those employee talks went??
Sleep Well Folks

I don't know how it is in AZ, but here in Oregun, it's not a crime to carry a gun on private property that prohibits carrying a gun. It's a crime if you refuse to leave when asked, but not until. As it should be.

I emailed and politely told them their sign has ZERO effect on anyone who might carry/use a gun illegally in their store. But as a CHL holder, the sign completely alienates me (and my money). I urged them to reconsider and take it down, or post something more like you see at Fisherman's (basically, if you carry concealed keep it that way).

Yep, don't want them good law abiding open carry people to go in there. Well, they might actually be exercising their rights or something. Unless they have that there CHL permission they are not welcome?

Its pretty simple really.
They don't respect my rights then I do not respect their earning power.
I am sure there are plenty of anti gun typs to support them, they don't need my $$ and they sure would never get it. Too many good places to buy from.
See just simple as can be, no worries, not anger, and no $$ for their disrespect.

It's not a crime to run up and down the aisles of a store screaming the North Korean national anthem (do they even have one?) either... but you'll also be asked to leave for exercising that Constitutionally protected right.

Its pretty simple really.
They don't respect my rights then I do not respect their earning power.
I am sure there are plenty of anti gun typs to support them, they don't need my $$ and they sure would never get it. Too many good places to buy from.
See just simple as can be, no worries, not anger, and no $$ for their disrespect.

Starbucks does it the right way. Wow...I mean we can even open carry (No ammunition in the firearm though). Imagine that.

I would never stand on my CPL or CHL. I told BigR stores Bye because they will allow the 450K CPL holders here in WA to enter their stores (which have gun sections) but not unlicensed OC, Nope, that is Anti, and until they change their policy I will not go back.

BigR in WA is owned by CSWWinc in Montana (of all places). Curt "W" yes one of the "W"s in the company name...told me it was a "business decision" I told him, I do not care, my "business decision" was not to patronize his business until the policy changed. (And I have spent $$$$$ in his store, and told him so.)

There are far more people that do not have a CPL but own a gun anyway, then those that do. OC is the way you tell the supporters you appreciate their business policy,.Criminal Carry (or if you would like to call it concealed carry you can..While not everyone that conceals is a criminal, every criminal conceals.

Darn good post!

I sent them a letter, but in truth I have not spent a dime inside the Portland city limits for nearly 20 years, maybe a bit longer.
I don't even drive there. I lost nothing there, and they do not need my money.
I have plenty of places to go outside that left wing POS city.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads