JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Do you actually think thugs are going to hang out in Parkrose Hardware because they know there are a bunch of unarmed targets shopping there?

It's THEIR business. THEY have no obligation to safeguard your life. That's what the police are for. (Yeah, I know... I laughed while typing that). If you don't like it then don't shop their. Simple as that.

I will probably not personally shop there because of the sign. That's my choice. It's their choice to post the sign. It's not against any law. If its that big of a deal for you then personally write the owners and let them know how you feel. Hopefully you will get an honest response, even if you don't happen to agree with it.

I'm sorry, I just don't see what the big deal is.

I kinda' agree with Nick above. It's a private business and they would prefer not to have weapons on the premises. Have any of you considered that their insurance policy might possibly prohibit weapons?

I don't see getting all worked up about it or writing a crappy review. Keep in concealed or go somewhere else to shop. Not really that big of a deal.

The "Insurance requires it" is a flaming cop out.. does not happen. Go ask your insurance broker yourself.

As to why OC, and why walk out, and why contact senior management...so we can get things changed. When wearing a gun is just as acceptable as wearing a watch or carrying a cell phone, then we will have an recognize right to carry. There is a very large difference in the law as concerns personal property "rights" of a place that is open to the public or is a place of "Public accommodation" (say a store or hotel. if you don't think so read the ADA (Americans with disabilities act)....and your private abode, that is not open to the public.

IT'S SICK, if you are disabled, black, gay, or any other "protected group" you cannot be refused service, but if you are exercising a fundamental right, an awful lot of people here roll over and say "it is their private property right" to exclude a firearm...IMHO, I do not think so, and I think we need to get that concept written into the law.

You give up a lot of your private property rights when you open to the public. It is just a fact of life. You think the gay community should have more right to force a company to do business with them than those that would support the right to self defense?

I OC, on purpose, just so I know who is friend and who is foe...and I contact senior management and tell them I will no longer patronize their business, and I will tell them why. And, if like BigR, they say it is fine if you conceal, but not OC...I tell them I will not carry like a criminal that hides his weapon until he wishes to misuse it, I honest man carry...I am armed, and everyone is free to see that, like it or not.

The inner city has encroached on the suburbs. Parkrose is now "downtown" in many people's eyes. The owner probably thinks the sight of a weapon will freak his customers out. Look what happened when the guys walked around Sellwood with rifles on their backs. People freaked out.

Im not an insurance agent so I cannot answer to that subject with any sincerity. I posed it as a "perhaps" only. If you are a business owner and have consulted your agent regarding the subject then please let us know what they said. I'd be interested in what they told you.

I'm not saying I agree with their decision, but its THEIR private property and they can do as they like (according to law). If you thinks laws need to be changed concerning firearms then write your Representatives and get like minded people together to do something about it.

"When wearing a gun is just as acceptable as wearing a watch or carrying a cell phone, then we will have an recognize right to carry."
I'm sorry to tell you this, but it will never happen. Never in the cities. There are not enough of us to make it happen and unfortunately our numbers get smaller every year.

I kinda' agree with Nick above. It's a private business and they would prefer not to have weapons on the premises. Have any of you considered that their insurance policy might possibly prohibit weapons?

I don't see getting all worked up about it or writing a crappy review. Keep in concealed or go somewhere else to shop. Not really that big of a deal.

Here's the rub, nobody here is calling for the gubmint to step in at any level. Nobody is calling for the legislature to investigate discrimination I.e. Gresham bakery flap.
People here are just voting with their wallet and being responsible to that end by notifying the business owner why they have made the choice. If everyone did as you suggest then what is to stop other businesses from following suit? And at some point there will be no place for legal gun owners to shop.

Everyone won't "do as I suggest"? Because many business owners, like myself, feel strongly about our second amendment rights and feel those signs are silly and alienate people. I see no need to broadcast it on my front door. But, I also don't have hundreds of customers walking through my door every day. I cannot fault the man/woman for doing, what he/she thinks, is best for his/her business, employees and patrons... however misguided I personally believe it is.

By all means call and write letters to them personally. My beef is with those of you that are willing to write negative reviews via social media as I don't think that's the best way to broadcast your views. It's still a free country though, do as you wish. Just don't get mad at me for exercising my first amendment right on the subject.

See, the Second is a guaranteed right. Why is this any different than a company that would openly want to put blacks back into slavery, strip the right to vote from women and anyone not a white male, or if they had electronic devices that read your Iphone once you enter the doors? Can they require you to state your sexual preference upon entering? If not, why is this particular right, one that was so important that it has it's own section in the rules of our country, right behind our right to voice our opinion, why is this right OK to infringe upon?

If you don't want a free public entering your business as free men, you should open your shop in North Korea.

The most dangerous thing is people telling you that your rights(at least this one very important right) don't exist or that your rights aren't worth fighting for. That does so much more damage to the case we plead than 10 Adam Lanza's. This kind of brainwashing must stop. Those rights can't be infringed upon by the government or private citizens.

The inner city has encroached on the suburbs. Parkrose is now "downtown" in many people's eyes. The owner probably thinks the sight of a weapon will freak his customers out. Look what happened when the guys walked around Sellwood with rifles on their backs. People freaked out.

Im not an insurance agent so I cannot answer to that subject with any sincerity. I posed it as a "perhaps" only. If you are a business owner and have consulted your agent regarding the subject then please let us know what they said. I'd be interested in what they told you.

I'm not saying I agree with their decision, but its THEIR private property and they can do as they like (according to law). If you thinks laws need to be changed concerning firearms then write your Representatives and get like minded people together to do something about it.

"When wearing a gun is just as acceptable as wearing a watch or carrying a cell phone, then we will have an recognize right to carry."
I'm sorry to tell you this, but it will never happen. Never in the cities. There are not enough of us to make it happen and unfortunately our numbers get smaller every year.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but wearing a gun is as acceptable as wearing a watch. Where is your "Right To Keep And Bear Watches" protected? I can point directly to where my firearms are protected and pretending that illegal laws make ME the one in the wrong is ridiculous. No infringement means just that. NONE.

Be a big man then, go on over the Parkrose with your gun on your hip, walk right in and parade around. See how long it takes until someone freaks out and calls the cops and you are kicked out (or just asked to leave). Have fun wasting your time explaining to the cops your views on the subject. I got other things to do this weekend. As always, just my opinion. Carry on.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but wearing a gun is as acceptable as wearing a watch.

Not in the city it ain't. Lawful, yes. Acceptable, not really.

Your "exercise" MIGHT cause a ruckus that will quite possibly lead to unfortunate circumstances.

Im not stopping you though. I applaud your brass balls, even if I don't agree with the act personally. I'm happy that there are those of you willing to do this, IF its done respectably and NOT to draw attention.

No thanks. I'll just go to my hardware store in my neck of the woods where they already appreciate liberty.

If defending liberty and freedom while folks make excuses for people that would deny liberty and freedom is a "waste of time", then I am sorry.

The fascists doing the "freaking out" are the ones in the wrong. What's better is to just put another BS business out by spending your money elsewhere.

Defending those that what to deny rights is kinda screwed up. But hey, you've got other things to do(?), so who cares anyway? People that react in outrage to businesses that refuse to make a cake and stick up for the ones denying actual rights have things a bit turned around. So, would it be OK if they didn't want women voting? Or is that argument somehow absurd because of the brainwashing telling you that a Constitutionally protected right isn't worth fighting or even arguing for?

Not in the city it ain't. Lawful, yes. Acceptable, not really.

Your "exercise" MIGHT cause a ruckus that will quite possibly lead to unfortunate circumstances.

Im not stopping you though. I applaud your brass balls, even if I don't agree with the act personally. I'm happy that there are those of you willing to do this, IF its done respectably and NOT to draw attention.

While this post actually s a bit on the valid side, I have no interest in spending time in a Portland jail. Right or wrong, that won't stop an illegal police state from taking me in or shooting me for exercising rights.

My balls aren't as big as they used to be. I have no interest in open carrying in a God forsaken place like Portland.

I will say that you should be a bit more clear. Liberty hating fascists would cause a ruckus if I open carried there. My exercising a right could never be wrong, only people's reaction to it. If I am doing something perfectly legal and protected, the ones screaming for my head are in fact the one's in the wrong, no matter how liberal media and brainwashing spins it.

We don't have to argue. What I'm on about is that we are force fed all this BS about "tolerance". We are supposed to tolerate everything illegal and have no tolerance for our most important and vital right we have, the only one that truly guarantees all the other rights. I am tired of being told what is right and wrong by a government that has seemingly everyone BUT the American people's interests in mind.

Still, I am not stupid enough to go into occupied territory and give myself to the enemy, whether I am right or wrong. The complicit media in that town would label me dangerous and crazy for arming myself from their studio protected by armed guards.

I wonder if they still have their box of gun screws anymore? Sadly, it looks like I won't be going there anymore. And I am old enough to have bought ammo in the old Coast to Coast store across from the old Hollywood Fred Meyers when both places sold guns.

So to Nick and Ted, if a sign was posted that said no openly gays allowed in this place of business how would that be any different? Or no white males under the age of 40? Its a private business and they can run it how they want. They have the right to refuse service to anyone correct?

unfortunately our numbers get smaller every year.

Wrong...our numbers are getting smaller? with approximately 7000 NEW CPLs (average) issued every MONTH in WA alone? And this has been going on since Ob was elected prez. WA has gone from 300 some thousand to almost 450 thousand in that time period.

Here is a cite from "Gunpolicy.org" Hardly a pro-gun organization, it is from AU. Citation from the GunPolicy.org literature library

It points out the number of guns in the US has doubled from about 168 million (1968), to about 310 million (2009), not exactly a decrease, and I hardly think that it is only present gun owners doubling down. Believing that gun ownership is down is something for the Brady bunch and their propaganda, not for someone that does not have their head stuck in the sand.

Now think about this (and consider the responses of some people on this forum). I have watched several current Gallop polls. On the question of "do you own, or is there a gun in your household?" there is a consistent 8% that will not answer the question. The highest number that admitted to having at least one gun in their household was 45%. Now, how many of those that have "no one knows if I have guns or not" crowd just lied and said they did not have any guns, and you have well over 50 percent of the population with a firearm in their household's.

Take the number of persons, legal and illegal, young and old, in the US today about 304 million according to the US Census . Of that 304 million about 24.5% are under 18 years old, and at the present time cannot legally carry, then take out another 7% or so for prohibited persons of adult age and you have 31.5% of the population that cannot own or carry firearms, and cannot vote. and this does not account for an illegals that cannot vote (legally) either. So, as we have a commonly (even the Brady's) that somewhere between 30% and 35% actually personally OWN a gun...if we had a single issue election, assuming people like you would actually vote your rights, actual Gun owners number about the same as non-gun owners of voting age. And you think you are the minority? BTW: The number of gun owners has increased considerably over the last 30 years, not decreased, as people become aware of their responsibility to protect themselves and their families. I believe the number of individuals owning firearms in this country is far over 35%, probably more like well over 50% (of the total population)

consider this, 35% of 304 million is over 100 million personal gun owners, or the average gun owner has approximately 3 guns. When I was younger, that was about correct, but when I was young I knew a lot of young people like me (20's) that only owned one gun because they could not afford more at the time.

IMHO: is we were to have a national single issue election on guns, (like they just did in Colorado), the outcome would be the same as it was in Colorado.

PS: how many people have you seen on the forums in the last couple years say "I am new to guns"? quite a few eh? That gun ownership is going down is Brady propaganda. Don't listed to those people, the spin the facts to suit their purpose.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top