JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sad? Yes.

Darwin Award? Possibly.

"Ethan, is gone. He accidentally shot himself last year when he was at a friend's house, playing with guns"

I would say he negligently shot himself and at 15 should have known better.

Was he looking down the barrel when he pulled the trigger?

It seem like people kids die stupidly and then they can't deal with the grief and focus on trying to make more rules for a bunch of others that don't need them....

Teach your kids about guns like you should about sex and drugs - they can all be bad for your health.

While I am deeply saddened by the loss of any human life, this law is counterproductive and could cost me MY life as well as many others. Some may disagree, but I believe much more needs to be focused on here than just the gun. For example, gun safety education may have saved this child's life. Per the article, there were locks on the guns, with keys present. Therefore the child should be educated enough to know WHY the locks were on there. Intention is required to put a key into a lock...and so on. The child's parents maintain that he was "shot in the head" - specific wording implying the gun has a mind of it's own. All of these things should make you think. The public is always quick to execute the "all guns must go" mentality instead of the circumstance.

I could not help think the same thing, Darwin Award. If he was 5 maybe, 15? Any 15 year old should have known better. Maybe if one party was not so dead set against teaching some gun safety in school the kid would still be alive.

Change out the word gun for a car and the story wouldn't make the news. The word gun has become hyperbolic.

It seem like people kids die stupidly and then they can't deal with the grief and focus on trying to make more rules for a bunch of others that don't need them....
Exactly this. Because they as parents neglected to teach little Johnny of the dangers that exist in life, it becomes a National crisis that all others must bare.

Exactly this. Because they as parents neglected to teach little Johnny of the dangers that exist in life, it becomes a National crisis that all others must bare.

There it is, well said. The focus is taken completely away from the big picture, and in comes the gun scapegoating. Much easier than the thought of the child being 15, and possibly knowing what he was doing (after intentionally unlocking this gun). It's all extremely sensitive of course, but I stand firm in blaming the child's parents (not the gun-owning parents) for lack of firearms education, and perhaps lack of acceptance that their child may have had intent or an underlying mental illness.

Last Edited:
He accidentally shot himself after removing the gun lock and loading the gun? I would definitely not call that an accident, but stupidity. I also blame his parents for not teaching him basic safety, but at 15, ANYONE should know not to point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger. A tragedy, no doubt, but could have been avoided by some education or even common sense.

He accidentally shot himself after removing the gun lock and loading the gun? I would definitely not call that an accident, but stupidity. I also blame his parents for not teaching him basic safety, but at 15, ANYONE should know not to point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger. A tragedy, no doubt, but could have been avoided by some education or even common sense.

When you put it that way, how do we know it wasn't suicide? I wonder how many accidents are actually suicides?

Anyway, we don't have kids, so these laws annoy me, can we get a waver? Also for the other gun control, I'd like a waver from that too. . .

Wait, we already have a waver it's called the second amendment.

Never mind.

Sorry this youngin wasn't bright enough to understand the dangers of hiring firearms, sounds like parental failure - sterilize them so they can't reproduce anymore...

As for more gun laws - What part of NO, do they not understand!!!!

Sadly this does not sound like an accident. No reason to take away everyone else's rights. I know the parents must be crushed and looking for some way to feel his death was not a complete waste, but attacking unrelated gun owners is not doing any service to the deceased.

I cant help but wonder if the gun control players and/or complicit Media dosnt jump in the ambulance and race to the scene to get their little sound bite after coaching the anti gun rant a little so that they can further the anti message quickly to the masses, the old never let a good tragedy go to waste deal!:mad:

And I agree with every one here, a locked gun should have been safe enough, and the fact that kid unlocked it and loaded it first amd then shot his self in the head screams suicide to me! And yes, teaching kids fun safety should be required in school, and the home wether there are guns in the home or not! Sure, blame the parents, but in this case, i don't as they did take the reasonable step in locking the guns up! Yea, the keys and ammo should not have been accessible, but..........
What if those guns were meant for home protection?

[QUOTE="Joe13, post: 2260846, member:
"Ethan, is gone. He accidentally shot himself last year when he was at a friend's house, playing with guns"

[/QUOTE]

^^^That's right.

There is a distinction with motor vehicle accidents also. Some you can go to jail for, and some are real accidents.

15 years old? That kid was an idiot. Idiots eventually find a way to mess up their lives. Not my responsibility.

Last Edited:
I could not help think the same thing, Darwin Award. If he was 5 maybe, 15? Any 15 year old should have known better. Maybe if one party was not so dead set against teaching some gun safety in school the kid would still be alive.

I disagree. If hes never been taught what a gun can do or how to safely handle it and make it clear its unreasonable for them to know what to do. It just another reason we should teach gun safety and how to unload a firearm in school. Even if someone anti gun can agree with that.

Sad? Yes.

Darwin Award? Possibly.

Was he looking down the barrel when he pulled the trigger?

Teach your kids about guns like you should about sex and drugs - they can all be bad for your health.
Guns are dangerous in the wrong hands. It's true. Nobody is hiding that fact. If they weren't dangerous in the wrong hands, they also wouldn't be useful in defense. I don't want a gun that shoots fluffy cotton balls when my life is being threatened. Like you said, anything meant to serve a purpose also carries of the possibility of being misdirected. Politics and the internet can be dangerous too but with some common sense applied....everything turns out okay.
Key words: COMMON SENSE.

I disagree. If hes never been taught what a gun can do or how to safely handle it and make it clear its unreasonable for them to know what to do. It just another reason we should teach gun safety and how to unload a firearm in school. Even if someone anti gun can agree with that.

I don't know about that. I never received any formal firearms training as a kid, yet way before I was 15 I knew that being on the receiving end of a bullet would be detrimental to my health.

If he was 5 maybe, 15? Any 15 year old should have known better.
Ditto this.
While tragic I'll take a guess and say this boy was probably so sheltered by his parents he probably didn't think much older than 5 YOA.
When my daughter was about 15 I was surprised by how many of her friends were incredibly oblivious to life in general.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top