Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Parched corn

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Redstick, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Redstick

Redstick WA Member

It was a good crop of Injun Corn this year! Corn Mother blessed the field with three pure white corn plants. Albino Corn is very rare, but this is many generations old and inbred...
    After the corn was harvested, it was hung up to dry:
    Corn.jpg
    When you decorate your place with a WHOLE FIELD FULL, hung up to dry, it's a beautiful sight to behold! Then after it is plenty dry, I rub the corn off the cob and parch it in a dry, well-seasoned, Cast-iron Skillet.
    crim0005-2.jpg
    It can then be stored for use on the trail, or just snacking anytime. It goes especially well as "trail food" though, because it is light and VERY NUTRITIOUS!!! Just a little sack of it on your belt will sustain you through a vigorous days hike.
    Parched.jpg
    There's alot you can do with it and a Google search will yield more info...

2. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Is it less hard than the store bought type? My teeth wouldn't hold up to the hard stuff.

3. Redstick

Redstick WA Member

You can pour boiling water on it and then cover for it to soften. Also can grind it to make Parched Cornmeal Mush...

4. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

They look like "old maids" at the bottom of a bowl of popcorn....MMMmmmm I want some.........

5. Redstick

Redstick WA Member

I reckon that is kinda what it's like, but not nearly THAT hard. The corn "puffs" when you parch it and it has less hard crunch than un-popped popcorn. Parched Corn is not as crunchy as corn nuts either.

6. Wheeler44

Man, you're makin' me hungry.......I'll be makin' some as soon as I can find some dry corn...

7. Redstick

Redstick WA Member

Dosen't matter what kinda corn you use. You can even get feed corn from the feed store and use that! Just get WHOLE Corn, not cracked or rolled.

8. Wheeler44

Redstick you rock.........now that I know that I can make delicious and nutritious trail food from a bag of cheap feed...I'm better prepared and headin' to the feed and seed today..

9. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Prior to the Civil War, frontier types in the Eastern woods would make foot journeys of several weeks thru unsettled areas with little more than a sack of parched corn and whatever meat they might be able to shoot. It was the mainstay ration for those on the move who needed to travel light and fast.

10. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

So not trying to sound lame but what do you actually do to parch it? Just heat it up on the stove in the skillet?

-D

11. Redstick

Redstick WA Member

Yep; just medium-low heat, 'til they're puffed and golden looking and smell toasted.

12. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Yummmm tasty!

-D