JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It was a good crop of Injun Corn this year! Corn Mother blessed the field with three pure white corn plants. Albino Corn is very rare, but this is many generations old and inbred...
After the corn was harvested, it was hung up to dry:
Corn.jpg
When you decorate your place with a WHOLE FIELD FULL, hung up to dry, it's a beautiful sight to behold! Then after it is plenty dry, I rub the corn off the cob and parch it in a dry, well-seasoned, Cast-iron Skillet.
crim0005-2.jpg
It can then be stored for use on the trail, or just snacking anytime. It goes especially well as "trail food" though, because it is light and VERY NUTRITIOUS!!! Just a little sack of it on your belt will sustain you through a vigorous days hike.
Parched.jpg
There's alot you can do with it and a Google search will yield more info...

They look like "old maids" at the bottom of a bowl of popcorn....MMMmmmm I want some.........

I reckon that is kinda what it's like, but not nearly THAT hard. The corn "puffs" when you parch it and it has less hard crunch than un-popped popcorn. Parched Corn is not as crunchy as corn nuts either.

I reckon that is kinda what it's like, but not nearly THAT hard. The corn "puffs" when you parch it and it has less hard crunch than un-popped popcorn. Parched Corn is not as crunchy as corn nuts either.
Man, you're makin' me hungry.......I'll be makin' some as soon as I can find some dry corn...

Prior to the Civil War, frontier types in the Eastern woods would make foot journeys of several weeks thru unsettled areas with little more than a sack of parched corn and whatever meat they might be able to shoot. It was the mainstay ration for those on the move who needed to travel light and fast.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top