JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a refresh on what it means to have lived in California for some of us. Or maybe just how we develop behavior and mind sets without realizing when think we are moving along.

My wife, Julie, and I were listening to the news and caught something about the shooting in the Maryland mall.

Julie: It is really getting scary. I'm leery of going to the mall or even to the theater (she's mentioned that before). (Taking on a serious tone of voice...) Really, what would YOU do if you found yourself in a situation like that?

Me: Shoot back.

Julie: (Blink, blink)

This despite the fact she knows I've been trying out concealed carry options and have been packing when we were out and about recently.

I've shucked off California like a moth eaten old coat. Julie apparently hasn't quite made the shift. There appears to be some hope, though as she recently out of nowhere volunteered that she liked the LCR the holster shop lady was packing.

I have a good friend who was raised in California. Until I took him shooting and educated him on gun laws, he thought California was the only state that you couldn't buy machine guns in (new, from a gun store), as well as that there is a federal registration!

I feel that thinking that it is better to be a victim is a sad comment on an individual's estimate of self worth.

California metro areas are a parallel universe. Unfortunately those people occupy the California government seats and the laws reflect their detachment from reality. Or maybe just ignorance of their deep bigotry regarding the little people.

Basically it is just about impossible in the non rural counties to carry for self defense. The result is that everyone has the mindset that they are supposed to just cringe and trust to fate as to whether they can avoid being prey of predators. Eloi.

Julie still has the "nowhere to go" mindset, though she sees herself as having more value as a person than a predator has and would defend herself if she had the tools. She just hasn't felt any urgency. Maybe she will now.

I decided years ago to get those tools for my use. Now I intend to expand their use. I and the people I know are worth more than to be fodder for predators.

Maybe if I pick up an LCR (I'm thinking I want one anyway) and she gets accustomed to my packing it will build a fire under her to wash her feet of California attitude.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top