Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Para p13

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by branchbuster, Sep 20, 2010.

1. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

I was looking at a P13 at a local shop and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these? Thank you.

2. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

i had a p12.45.. is yours new or used? they dont make the ones i had anymore. in fact, i think all they make now is their LDAs... not real big on a double-action 1911.

its a cheap-o 1911.. i wouldn't trust my life to one. mine had immediate fails to feed, went back to para, and ran pretty good for another couplefew thousand rounds.. then started having a number of problems. i always kept it cleaned and lubed- it just wasn't a reliable gun.

the thing about 1911s is that they're complex weapons.. lots of parts that need to fix together perfectly and be made of durable materials. most of these sub-$1500 1911s on the market are just mass-produced, MIM-filled, poorly fitted jamomatics that the manufacturer pumped out for no other reason than to have a 1911-lookalike for all the movie watchers. they don't build them to be good guns- they just build them to be bought.

3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My experience is not quite like bkb0000's. I also had a P12-45 that I bought new. It developed a timing issue and would not always fire. (Series 80 type stuff) Sent it back and it was perfect for the rest of the time I had it. I owned it for about 15 years. The problem I had with it cropped up within the first 500 rounds and then it had about 2000+ more through it when I sold it. I also loved the fact that it was not at all picky about what I tried to feed it. It took anything I could put in the clip and "rocked on". (yeah, I said "clip". If it bugs you, get over it!):D

I only sold it because I ended up trading into a Dan Wesson CBOB and figured I'd never pack that P12 again. Kinda' wish I hadn't let it go.....

I would not be afraid to purchase another Para gun. Even if it was my packing gun. I would, however, run a lot of ammo through it before it attained the "packing" status, just like any other gun.

4. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Have a 14-45 for 10 years now and have put quite a few rounds thru it. It's gotta be the most accurate 45 I've ever had. and it chews up 200 gn LSWCs (shooting IPSC) without fail.

I do have a Para LDA compact carry that is had issues until I got some rounds thru it now fires great.

5. Ben Beckerich

here lies the problem.. you only had 2000+ rounds through it after coming back from para. mine ran great for 2000+ rounds after coming back from para too. but somewhere between probably 3-5k, i started having problems (it's been a while, don't remember round count).

6. armedredneck

armedredneck Oregon Active Member

I don't know what the 13 is like, but I also had a P12 that I didn't care for. I only put a couple hundred rounds through it. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine. It was stainless and developed really small rust spots all over that I couldn't get rid of. I kept it lubricated but it still would rust. I investigated a little and came to my own conclusion that it was probably manufactured from an inferior stainless. It also had issues feeding, but then again, I only put a couple hundred rounds through it. It was the first pistol I ever bought/owned. I sold it to buy a Ruger SP101. Then immediately followed that with a G19. I'm much happier with either of those over the P12.

7. Ben Beckerich

indeed- i'd get rust in the frame. stainless, even "good" stainless, will rust, if abused.. but this gun was not abused.

i'm a glock guy, now. glock 9mm only, and i don't intend to go back to hammer-fired weapons- ever. nor will i buy another 45. i've got about 8,000 trouble-free rounds through my 17, 1,200 through my 26 without a malfunction, and i shoot them both way better than i ever shot any hammered 45.

8. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have a P-12 and will never part with it. It is a tack driver at 15 yards.

9. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

Thank you for the replies. I am still on the fence on this one.