Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Para p13

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by branchbuster, Sep 20, 2010.

1. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

I was looking at a P13 at a local shop and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these? Thank you.

2. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

i had a p12.45.. is yours new or used? they dont make the ones i had anymore. in fact, i think all they make now is their LDAs... not real big on a double-action 1911.

its a cheap-o 1911.. i wouldn't trust my life to one. mine had immediate fails to feed, went back to para, and ran pretty good for another couplefew thousand rounds.. then started having a number of problems. i always kept it cleaned and lubed- it just wasn't a reliable gun.

the thing about 1911s is that they're complex weapons.. lots of parts that need to fix together perfectly and be made of durable materials. most of these sub-$1500 1911s on the market are just mass-produced, MIM-filled, poorly fitted jamomatics that the manufacturer pumped out for no other reason than to have a 1911-lookalike for all the movie watchers. they don't build them to be good guns- they just build them to be bought.

3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My experience is not quite like bkb0000's. I also had a P12-45 that I bought new. It developed a timing issue and would not always fire. (Series 80 type stuff) Sent it back and it was perfect for the rest of the time I had it. I owned it for about 15 years. The problem I had with it cropped up within the first 500 rounds and then it had about 2000+ more through it when I sold it. I also loved the fact that it was not at all picky about what I tried to feed it. It took anything I could put in the clip and "rocked on". (yeah, I said "clip". If it bugs you, get over it!):D

I only sold it because I ended up trading into a Dan Wesson CBOB and figured I'd never pack that P12 again. Kinda' wish I hadn't let it go.....

I would not be afraid to purchase another Para gun. Even if it was my packing gun. I would, however, run a lot of ammo through it before it attained the "packing" status, just like any other gun.

4. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Have a 14-45 for 10 years now and have put quite a few rounds thru it. It's gotta be the most accurate 45 I've ever had. and it chews up 200 gn LSWCs (shooting IPSC) without fail.

I do have a Para LDA compact carry that is had issues until I got some rounds thru it now fires great.

5. Ben Beckerich

here lies the problem.. you only had 2000+ rounds through it after coming back from para. mine ran great for 2000+ rounds after coming back from para too. but somewhere between probably 3-5k, i started having problems (it's been a while, don't remember round count).

6. armedredneck

armedredneck Oregon Active Member

I don't know what the 13 is like, but I also had a P12 that I didn't care for. I only put a couple hundred rounds through it. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine. It was stainless and developed really small rust spots all over that I couldn't get rid of. I kept it lubricated but it still would rust. I investigated a little and came to my own conclusion that it was probably manufactured from an inferior stainless. It also had issues feeding, but then again, I only put a couple hundred rounds through it. It was the first pistol I ever bought/owned. I sold it to buy a Ruger SP101. Then immediately followed that with a G19. I'm much happier with either of those over the P12.

7. Ben Beckerich

indeed- i'd get rust in the frame. stainless, even "good" stainless, will rust, if abused.. but this gun was not abused.

i'm a glock guy, now. glock 9mm only, and i don't intend to go back to hammer-fired weapons- ever. nor will i buy another 45. i've got about 8,000 trouble-free rounds through my 17, 1,200 through my 26 without a malfunction, and i shoot them both way better than i ever shot any hammered 45.

8. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have a P-12 and will never part with it. It is a tack driver at 15 yards.

9. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

Thank you for the replies. I am still on the fence on this one.