JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have experience with one of these, my local shop has one, and iv always been interested in them. So i put it on layaway until i decide if i REALLY want it lol..

So do any of you own one or have shot one and what do you think? Its a little fat in the grip, but i like it... and its a pretty light pistol..

I too had a P10-45. Jam-o-matic! It would not make it thru a full 10rd mag without jamming at least 5rds, and that was with 230gr hardball! Granted, I bought mine when the P10 first came out and traded it off rather than send it back to Para, so I can't comment on current production models or possible warranty issues that they may or may not have.

I have a P14-45 Limited (Steel Frame). When I first got it, it ran well through a couple of mags, then it started to jam a little. Turns out the extractor tight, causing the round to nose up into the chamber and prevented the case rim from slipping under the extractor.

I sent it back to Para. They identified the problem and corrected it at no charge. It's been good ever since.

However, I compare this to my STI Sentry (single stack 5"). It's not wholly fair since the Sentry was almost twice as much, but it's interesting. I notice a couple of "rough" things about the Para.
1) The hammer/mainspring is VERY heavy on the Para. So much so that it's hard to cock the gun with the hammer forward.
2) The trigger is definitely heavier and feels similar to a Series 80. Still much much better than a Glock.
3) The rear dovetail sight has pretty sharp edges. This isn't a carry gun, but it still would be nice if it was rounded slightly.

Otherwise, I like it. 15 rounds of .45 on tap in a 1911 type frame. I can't comment on the short barrel ones, but I've never found short 1911s to be very reliable. That said, they do have an excellent warranty.

If I have more issues or hate it, I'll just suck it up and buy a STI.

My twin brother has a warthog, I have shot it a lot. When he first got it, it had jamming problems but sent it back to para and they fixed it. now he loves it. he carries ball ammo or corbon ammo that has the polymer tip he said hollows seem to make it jam.

I had one and I liked it, but had some serious issues with it. First off, it was just too thick. I did not find it comfortable to shoot or carry. Second, it jammed like crazy. The double stack mags they use just were not up to par. Third, it seemed to have too many cheap parts (plastic trigger and such) for the cost.

I have a P14-45 Limited (Steel Frame). When I first got it, it ran well through a couple of mags, then it started to jam a little. Turns out the extractor tight, causing the round to nose up into the chamber and prevented the case rim from slipping under the extractor.

I sent it back to Para. They identified the problem and corrected it at no charge. It's been good ever since.

However, I compare this to my STI Sentry (single stack 5"). It's not wholly fair since the Sentry was almost twice as much, but it's interesting. I notice a couple of "rough" things about the Para.
1) The hammer/mainspring is VERY heavy on the Para. So much so that it's hard to cock the gun with the hammer forward.
2) The trigger is definitely heavier and feels similar to a Series 80. Still much much better than a Glock.
3) The rear dovetail sight has pretty sharp edges. This isn't a carry gun, but it still would be nice if it was rounded slightly.

Otherwise, I like it. 15 rounds of .45 on tap in a 1911 type frame. I can't comment on the short barrel ones, but I've never found short 1911s to be very reliable. That said, they do have an excellent warranty.

If I have more issues or hate it, I'll just suck it up and buy a STI.

That's because it uses the same firing pin block set-up as a Series 80 Colt. :D

try before you buy !!!, I know that's often not possible.....I had one for a very brief time as I liked the idea. But, it was not even slightly comfortable to shoot or carry, so I sold it and got a kimber Ultra ten II which was better in all regards. Except reliability.....

this is bigger, but reliability has been 100% so far...

or get a G30

I have a Para P-10 which was the forerunner of The Warthog. 10rd mag mine never jams, however the accuracy is a bit off. I then bought a Kimber Ultra Ten II, which very similar in every way, except the Kimber is as accurate as my STI EDGE 2011!
Unfortunately the Kimber was designed to shoot fmj only (aluminum ramp) However, reading this flyer I just got from AmChar Wholesale I just noticed American Tactical has just released The Fatboy, which is the same size as The Warthog & holds 10 rds (or 12rd) sells for less than Para, as my cost is $500. Really looks similar to the Kimber Ultra Ten II, you might check into it, BTW when I bought my P-10 it cost $450 used.

Unfortunately the Kimber was designed to shoot fmj only (aluminum ramp)

nope. It wasn't designed that way at all.
a) properly anodized aluminium > copper/lead.

b) unless the JHP has a massive cavity in the nose, no part of the cavity should hit the ramp as the bullet makes it's way into the chamber. Unless you're Fusion and you can't dimension a ramp correctly.

nope. It wasn't designed that way at all.
a) properly anodized aluminium > copper/lead.

b) unless the JHP has a massive cavity in the nose, no part of the cavity should hit the ramp as the bullet makes it's way into the chamber. Unless you're Fusion and you can't dimension a ramp correctly.

Actually before I bought my Kimber (I got it used) I looked over three other Kimbers of the exact same model, all the others had a chewed-up ramp, supposedly from the use of hollowpoint ammo, a quick look in the owner's manual confirms that this gun was designed for FMJ ammo only--Shoot what you like in your gun, keep your hands off mine.

Actually, "supposedly" would be the key word there. You know nothing of the history of those three guns. Kimber mags used to use a split, sprung steel follower that was known to ding the ramp.
Take more than a quick look in the owners manual and you'll see that all Kimber manuals, regardless or whether it's the one for Full size, or the one covering the Compact, Ultra and Pro say
For best results,
we recommend the use of jacketed round
nose "BALL" ammunition.
it also recommends for break in (if you believe in such):
For
proper Break-in of the firearm shoot 400-500
rounds of Quality Factory Ball (230g. FMJ)
Ammunition, cleaning and lubricating the gun every
100-150 rounds.

A recommendation for "best results" then. There is nothing, nada , zilch saying anywhere in the manual anything to the effect of: " do not use JHPs in this gun" or "JHP's will damage the aluminium feedramp"

I've had 11 Kimbers in various shapes and sizes. There isn't a different manual for Kimbers' steel framed guns and one for their aluminium framed ones. ..by your reasoning we shouldn't use JHP's in the steel framed Kimbers either.

The manual also says on page 6 #5 "
Safe Carrying Condition: Never carry this pistol cocked, loaded and ready to fire as this practice could easily result in an unintentional discharge"

so I guess we shouldn't carry them condition one either ?

I have no desire to put my hands on your gun, do with it as you wish, but you should refrain from your further spread bollocks and disinformation on the forums....

OP sorry for the threadjack....Either buy a used Warthog you can sell on if you don't like it or at least try other high cap 1911 options. The grip was too wide and blunt for me, (tho you may have Truckasaurus hands) it made practice not fun, and there's very few times i'd ever say shooting isn't fun.....

Whatever Dude,
I inform people to use only FMJ in this gun, as I have seen the effects of using hollowpoint ammo, I don't suppose that Cor-Bon Powerball ammo will hurt it eithr as that is rounded in profile. You certainly have my full support in your using any ammo you please in your gun, I would not want to take away your freedom of choice. BTW next time you see a used one of these, do us both a favor & look at the ramp, I think you'll see what I mean.

BTW next time you see a used one of these, do us both a favor & look at the ramp, I think you'll see what I mean.

you mean like these two ?
Both aluminium framed....

or my two poly's posted above ?

or my shooter Pro Elite I put 8k rounds through, of which at least 5K were reloaded JHPs ?

Sure, i'll do myself a favor and get right on it , dude....in the meantime, you keep "informing"...:s0093:

Does anyone have experience with one of these, my local shop has one, and iv always been interested in them. So i put it on layaway until i decide if i REALLY want it lol..

So do any of you own one or have shot one and what do you think? Its a little fat in the grip, but i like it... and its a pretty light pistol..

I made the mistake of buying a SS Para Warthog and got zero support from the folks in Florida. After a very nasty e-mail to some VP up in Canada I got even less support. His thoughts were that the gun was 'tampered' with before it left the factory. OK, I liked the concept and spent $300 getting a true gunsmith to fix all the problems - it will now fire any configuration of .45 and will no longer lock-back after the first shot. My gunsmith refuses to sell any Para firearm for good reason and now I am trying to find decent magazines for it that actually work - one out of five so far has actually worked. Just noticed that Para's website is under construction, again...

I bought a used Warthog last summer. It worked fine, however the firing pin block fell out due to a worn extractor. I was able to get it to work by peening another cheap part but thought about just removing the firing pin safety/block.

Mine is an early model and the replacement extractor is a one-piece vs. two-piece, and it was something like $70! But I contacted Para about it and they just sent me one for free.

Except for that, it has run flawlessly and I've never had any feeding/extracting failures at all. Overall I'm very pleased with it and Para support has been great.