JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My father-in-law gave me the pictured gun.

Is this thing a combination of two guns. It doesn't feed ammo
very well and the slide isn't smooth at all. Someone at the range
told me the parts aren't matched and I shouldn't continue using it.
The frame is a double stack and from searching online I'm guessing
that it is a conversion kit mated to the Colt slide. Anyone have any
experience with these? Opinions????

Thanks.

The original Para Ordnance frames were sold as a "kit" so they could be added to an existing slide, just like yours. Most of them didn't work very well because the people that put them together did not always know what they were doing.
So how is it jamming? Most 1911 fixes are easy enough once you know what your doing.

The original Para Ordnance frames were sold as a "kit" so they could be added to an existing slide, just like yours. Most of them didn't work very well because the people that put them together did not always know what they were doing.
So how is it jamming? Most 1911 fixes are easy enough once you know what your doing.

As the slide strips a round it jams as it noses into the barrel.

Is that the only magazine you have? Does it say or have a Para-Ordnance symbol on it? You may want to try another newer <broken link removed> . But answer Vinnie's questions too. Are you trying 230 gr ball ammo?

I'm using 230 gr ball. If the slide is locked open and I load
a magazine and pull the slide and let it go it will jam about
half the time. The magazines are Para Ordnance.

Contact Wichaka on this board,he can more than likely help you out on the problems you are experiencing.

OUCH! My areas are a burnin!

Pictures...need pictures and more info.

Post a pic of the stoppage you're getting. Also post a pic with the slide locked back, with a very clear view inside the port looking toward the barrel...showing the ramp etc.

OUCH! My areas are a burnin!

Pictures...need pictures and more info.

Post a pic of the stoppage you're getting. Also post a pic with the slide locked back, with a very clear view inside the port looking toward the barrel...showing the ramp etc.

I'll get some detailed pics. up tonight when I get home.

Thanks for all the replies.

Possible extractor tension problem. That frame looks rough, and the ramp doesn't appear to be square to the barrel...might be the pic.

How's the barrel ramp and throat...anyone mess with it?

What's the history of the gun? How long you had it? How many rounds thru it since you've had it?

Possible extractor tension problem. That frame looks rough, and the ramp doesn't appear to be square to the barrel...might be the pic.

How's the barrel ramp and throat...anyone mess with it?

What's the history of the gun? How long you had it? How many rounds thru it since you've had it?

I don't know much about the gun. I just got it one the 26th and have put maybe 20 rounds through it. I'll have to ask my father-in-law what he knows
about it. If it's been modified I'm sure he didn't do any of the work himself.

The gap from the frame ramp to the barrel looks a bit long. Should be 1/32" or less.

Am coming up your way the middle of next month, can look it over in person then.

I did another lube job and was much more liberal with the
amount of oil. Feeding by releasing the slide has improved testing it in my garage. Hopefully I can get to the range soon to check it out in action.

I did another lube job and was much more liberal with the
amount of oil. Feeding by releasing the slide has improved testing it in my garage. Hopefully I can get to the range soon to check it out in action.

Glad that seemed to help. Now, if you would like to try a little bit more, and are comfortable with sandpaper, you might try smoothing the feed ramp. The gap that wichaka is saying should not be more than 1/32 is the space between the little red lines. You do not want to try and change that yourself. ;) Seriously, if you don't know what your doing, removing metal from this area, while not dangerous, can ruin your frame. Now polishing metal, that's another thing all together! :s0155: The two areas circled in yellow are the feed ramp (on the frame) and the barrel throat (on the, well, barrel). Those areas should be smooth. They do not have to be mirror bright, but right now they look like the preverbal 12 miles of bad road. To do this, all you need to do is field strip your gun and with some very fine sandpaper (nothing courser than 400, 600 or 800 is better) polish those areas. The barrel you will most likely need to do with a small piece and your finger, but on the frame find something round that fits the feed ramp, like a sharpie, or maybe an empty 308 cartridge case. Remember, you are not trying to remove any metal or change any of the angles. This is just polishing, and for goodness sake, do not think that this would be a great place for a power tool! :eek: Just stay within the lines and smooth it out a bit. In fact, just use 800 grit. :s0155: It will do what you need.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top