JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love this stuff and usually have a reel around the house. I keep about 20 feet of it in my truck and on hiking trips. Works great for making temporary shelters and such, much like Treemanx was talking about in a post here as well. Curious if there are any other good uses anyone has found. My latest and greatest experiment last weekend was using about 50 feet and making a sling for my hunting rifle. That way, if I am out hunting and need rope, it's readily available. Any other Good ideas or uses out there?

Yeah, this stuff is so useful, everyone who goes into the wild should pack it. What makes it so versatile is its strength, 550 pounds if you buy the real stuff, and it gets that strength from the seven or so white inner cords. You have all the uses of the main cord, and then can pull out the inner cords to make smaller snares, fishing lines, heavy sewing thread, the uses for this stuff is endless and very well worth having.

Youve probably been going to the Army Surplus in Boring? They used to carry it all the time, but lately havent had any. They do, however, right now, have a full parachute with the cording attached. Not only is the cord good to use, but if you know someone who sews or a business that does sewing, take the parachute in to them and have them make you some under shirts and pants out of it. Parachute silk clothing is one of the warmest, most cofortable things you can put on. It lets your skin breath, but keeps you warm. That is an Army secret I learned from my bro, who is a Special Forces guy.

As far as getting just the paracord locally, you might try Andy and Baks, but your best bet is off the internet. I got a bunch from friends that are former military and bought also from the surplus in Boring, and I still have PLENTY left. But like I said, you best bet is off the net. Just be SURE that they tell you that it is REAL 550 cord, and not the Mil Spec fake stuff. You should be able to buy it in lenghts from 25 feet to rolls of 1000 feet.

I have a reel from years ago from when I was deployed that I found in my footlocker in the garage a while back. Forgot it was there until recently.

I picked up some made by blackhawk, but I have yet to see if it's the real stuff or not.

It's good for making slings in the field.

DSC00330.jpg

The stuff is great! I bought a package on line of all different colors and have made key chains and "survival bracelets" for my friends and family. That way you always have a 10 to 20 foot piece on you every where you go. And the 2 tone ones look pretty cool.

didn't the army surplus store in Boring close????

No, they are still there. They used to be in Damascus for a lot of years, and alot of people thought they closed when they moved from Damascus to Boring. But they are actually doing really well right now, everytime I go in there, they are packed.

When used w/ ball chain, it's good for neck lanyards. Just pull the internal threads out of the paracord, thread the ball chain where those internal threads used to be, and you've got a comfy neck lanyard that will break-away if needed but isn't cold/annoying/noisy like ball chain alone.

When used w/ ball chain, it's good for neck lanyards. Just pull the internal threads out of the paracord, thread the ball chain where those internal threads used to be, and you've got a comfy neck lanyard that will break-away if needed but isn't cold/annoying/noisy like ball chain alone.

Thats what alot of the Army guys do with their dog tags. They'll put the para cord on the necklace, then put the rubber bumpers on the tags, then tape the tags together with a dark colored tape. Keeps them from shining or jingling and making themselves a target.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top