Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Paper/electronic trail, Am I being overly concerned?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by djgaloot, Feb 2, 2012.

1. djgaloot

djgaloot Oregon City Member

I do not like the idea of having a paper trail to my guns just because I don't think it is the Government's business. (I know "they" are reading this, no I am not paranoid :paranoid:) Am I being overly worried? I know that many of the individual FFL vendors that support this site would put up a big fight if ever needed to, but push come to shove, it is feasible that records could be requisitioned in the future. It seems like a lot of you do not have a problem with buying from dealers or FFLs. Why or why not? BTW I have purchased through in-state and out-of state dealers as well as from individuals.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  2. livewire98801

livewire98801 Seattle, WA Member

"they" know a LOT more about you than you think, just by your bank transactions alone.

I don't worry about a paper trail for that reason alone... to me, knowing that I have a brand new firearm that doesn't have a questionable history is worth a lot more than trying to obscure one more piece of information. Sure, 'they' might not know exactly what guns you might own, but from this one post alone I can tell a few things about you.

1) you have more than one gun
    2) you have some idea about document security, and probably own a shredder
    3) you live in Oregon, but probably travel regularly
    4) you probably have at least one nonresident CCW permit.

The important thing isn't living 'off the grid', but knowing how to leave it if you ever need to.

/wow, now I sound paranoid... really, I'm not, just a geek that knows a thing or two about data mining.

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  3. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I don't care of I have a paper trail or not. Most of my guns I've sold on here to buy another gun. And all my other guns were lost in a tragic boating accident.

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  4. djgaloot

I am really sorry to hear that. I hate to lose guns.

5. djgaloot

6. livewire98801

I said I knew a few things about data mining, not that I was any good at it :-D

7. CZ Fan

CZ Fan Oregon Member

I dont worry about it.

8. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

And what the government knows PALES in comparison to what private data mining companies know. There have been quite a few instances recently of the government buying background checks on individuals from private data warehousing companies.

It is nearly impossible any more to live truly "off grid", and to get as close as possible, you would need to never use the Internet. Give me a month and a few hundred dollars, and I will find out more about you than you would possibly want to have known. (Happened at another forum I'm on, someone was selling a lot of items, another forum member got suspicious, dug in, and discovered it was a notorious fraudster operating under a new name - got criminal records, personal records, the works. Although the fraudster seems to have reformed - his fraud was in 2004-2005, and he completely disappeared in between. Multiple people had successful purchases (including me) this time around before his true identity was revealed.)

9. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

There are lots of guns at the bottom of lakes due to tragic boating accidents. Lost mine in a canoe accident

10. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Why would you be carrying 20+ guns in a canoe?

11. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me because when the authorities do manage to trace a gun to me, I am going to tell them "I just sold that gun last week, so sorry now please F off".

12. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter Why, what matters is them guns is all gone now, no point in even looking around here for them

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  13. tomcat mv

tomcat mv Maple Valley WA Member

mine were all on board that cruise ship that just sunk over in Italy and the "mafia" hired divers absconded with them!

14. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

you're a regular sylvia brown,,,,can you contact my dead uncle for me too?j/k dont get offended or nutin.

15. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

one is none, two is one

Damn those anti-gun lakes and oceans.

16. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I sold all my guns to Eric Holder lol

I have had private sale guns and it's all good but all the guns that I own now have a paper trail. One thing I don't get is that they say the state does not keep track of your firearm(s).... so why do they need the serial number when you call in for a background check? maybe they wanna make sure the firearm is not stolen? I make vids and post them on YouTube so that is one way for "THEM" to find out what I have.... also emails and phone conversations inform "THEM".
    If they ever try to come take my guns.... they will never get my guns because they will all get sold or get cut up because I would rather destroy my guns and not let them have it..... who knows where my guns will end up under my name...F that. Or I might just give them a good burrell, R.I.P AK-47.... I will always love you hahahahah and I will pound my fist to the ground like the Koreans did when Kim Jung Il died lol.

17. Psa1m144

Psa1m144 Silverdale, Washington New Member

If they want to know what and how many guns you have, they will find out. Doesn't matter if you try to hide it. The real issue is not giving "them" a reason to want that information.

18. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

I Do not have 20+ guns but I am an ex Boy Scout - Be Prepared.
    I do not like to carry a lot of ammo so I carry additional guns
    Like Golf - each situation requires a different club
    SHTF
    Zombies
    But it can make a canoe a little less stable

19. livewire98801

I'm feeling something... Your uncle was very close to you, yes?

/pushes collection hat closer

20. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol Salem Active Member

I think there were 10-11 million guns sold in the US last year.. somebody fact check me, I could be wrong.

Anyway, they can track all of that, yes. They can't do anything about it though.

I'm not too worried about the gov't. Google worries me a little bit.