Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Panic in the year zero

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Just Jim, May 23, 2010.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Old 1960s movie that has Ray Miland and his family trying to survive societies collapse after a Nuke attack on the USA. Black and white show with the values of the sixties prevelent but it has some interesting views. I wonder if people today would be as civil or uncivil as people in the show? Lots of differences between then and now. What do you think?

jj

2. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Both China and cambodian communist leaders tried to reverse society to the year one in the 60s-70s, both countries lost a million and more people from famine and violence, I'm pretty sure it would be close to the same type of outcome in the USA, but who knows for sure. In their quest they murdered people who had knowledge, like political, medical, economical, or better to say the "educated" and gave everyone else that were alive some land, a cow, chicken and farm tools. Both failed in terrible fashion. Now if we can all just stop short of being retarded come-see-go population, then the educated people can have a chance to save the MySpace clicking, coupon clipping, value meal supersizing, "you owe me this", "i want more"attitudes of the rest of our Americans.

3. Just Jim

"then the educated "

First clue ought to be it was the "educated" that gave us this depression. Better hope someone comes along that doesn't have this same education.

jj

4. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

There's a scary statement. These people were the elites, many of whom bought their way into Ivy League educations. The fact that they're greedy, self-absorbed sociopaths is not connected in any way with their so-called educations.

Those same Ivy League schools maintain their reputations by admitting many highly qualified students from average backgrounds, who do the research and write the papers but are never invited to join Skull & Bones.

I hope we're not going to watch the pendulum swing now into deliberate anti-intellectualism, but I know that it's the way of history: fearful people actively seek out and embrace demagogues who tell them palatable lies.

I'll be one of the first who swings from the gallows if that happens. As the only son of a widowed schoolteacher, all she could give me was the drive to better myself through education. But now I may find my life at risk simply because, as a direct result of that education, I repudiate those who would claim that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, or that the climate isn't heating, or that massive oil spills are no problem for Nature to absorb, or...

...fill in the blank. There's so much fraud, willful ignorance and "blamestorming" that passes for national discourse, and no one in the mainstream media calls them on their BS. I honestly don't see a way out. I like Dmitri Orlov's recommendation, that apathy is the best way to deal with political zealotry. And I hope that Mike Ruppert is right, that the Feds don't have nearly enough resources to subjugate and control the domestic population.

But clearly, there's no easy way out. The elites are going to ride the system all the way down without compunction, because staying on top is all that matters. You can check out Jared Diamond's "Collapse" to see how the elite Greenlanders kept raising cattle even as the rest of the population starved and withered. To the very end, the rich were willing to sacrifice the rest of the people just to maintain a semblance of their lifestyle.

While I'm at it, I'll recommend Chris Hedges' book, "Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle."

May God save us all.

5. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

When things are worst, people tend to look for a savior. They exchange their freedom for perceived security. Some charismatic person steps up and the country then has a dictator, backed by military. I know of no exception. The most recent glaring example is Venezuela's crash in 2001 and Chavez.

The question alone is, would US citizens actually stand for that, or are there enough who haven't been brainwashed by our education system and MSM?

7. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah sure it will be the MSM people looking for a dictator not the Fox people! There are none so blind, anywhere, really!

8. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Bugeye, you're a pure genius, and that's all there is to it. :thumbup:

9. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

Excellent post.

10. Bark

Bark Oregon Member

Love the way you lump massive groups of people into a catagory...Damn education, who needs thinking, reasoning people anyway.

11. Just Jim

:bluelaugh::bluelaugh::bluelaugh: I guess you don't realize how big the Federal and State governments are. We are down to 42% producerers in the country and the rest living off of them.

jj