JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
howdy gents

a friend of mine came across this set of pistols and wondered if i knew anything about em.. i dont know anything about em. i know we've got some black powder experts here, so i figured id check in. what do you know about em?

only markings are "wilkenson" on the side of the receiver and "bristol" on the top of the barrel. appears to be .50 or larger

thx!

519421B7-3780-4162-B60D-5F5E6B81ECAF.jpeg CC81EEA7-F2F5-48D4-A191-75C024D22616.jpeg 3DFA37F5-CF59-4D39-B507-671F2616502A.jpeg 4F888653-66B9-4D63-84FC-27AEF14F7C37.jpeg

What you have are a pair of percussion "Traveling" or pocket pistols.
( Over coats had large pockets back then )
Wilkenson is the maker* , Bristol is where the pistols were made
I have a reference to a James Wilkenson & Son , London....1806 -1835

I wonder if these pistols were made by the son....?
With that said...Wikenson ain't the most uncommon of names...
And its not good to make a guess or statement about a gun , based only on one or two of its features.

Good looking lock with both a snail drum and safety.....Also nice engraving and checkering.
Do the locks work...?
Have you removed the locks...? Sometimes there are more markings on the inside of the lock plate.
.50 caliber on up to around .65 caliber was a common thing for these types of pistols.
Are the bores rifled or smooth....?

Also nice is the lack of percussion cap erosion ...
I would guess that these pistols would date to the 1830's - 1850's.
Neat pistols and a nice find.
Andy

* Edit to add :
At least the lock maker....the pistol possibly , would need to compare these pistols to his work to confirm.

Last Edited:
Wilkinson (with an "i" instead of "e") was a sword/dagger/bayonet maker (as well as other machined steel products). The name later employed to sell shaving razors. Might ck spelling on that scroll mark. ??

Wilkinson (with an "i" instead of "e") was a sword/dagger/bayonet maker (as well as other machined steel products). The name later employed to sell shaving razors. Might ck spelling on that scroll mark. ??
right you are - its wikinson

and they are smooth bore

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR