JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for info on painting a gun. I have an ak that has a brown reciever and I would like to just make the whole gun one color of black. I really cant afford a Parker job so I woul like to just paint it. Any suggestions on what type of paint works or any experience will be helpful

I do duracoat and it is a very nice finish that hardens as it ages Very durable and available in many colors. pretty easy to do if you have a compressor and an airbrush. harbor freight air brushes aren't the best but for painting guns they work just fine

Do you want to go low end "paint" or high end Duracoat? I've painted a number of my guns for coyote hunting with rattle can paint successfully and can offer some suggestions on paint and technique. Let me know.

BTW the Spec Ops community...those in counter insurgency units this is what they do...they pick up guns/equipment from the country of operation and have a rattle can paint party. Unlike the movies they don't bring in expensive custom NATO or American gear but rather purchase what they can get on site. They rattle can a lot of guns/gear and do so with inexpensive paint from an indigenious "in-country" hardware store. So it can be done and depending upon your purpose/mission can work well.

I've seen some great rattle can jobs on ar15.com. I am almost tempted to go low end but I think I might just go duracoat so it will last. Unless someone knows of a rattle can technique that works good and holds up

SOmewhat O.T.,
I'll hazard a guess that the special ops people are using local weapons not because they're saving money over 'expensive' gear, but instead to blend in with the local population more and have their guns sound the same as the enemy guns.
That used to be the way, back when...

Beware using spray can bore cleaners such as Powder Blast and Casey's- those things will strip off ordinary paint like it's watercolors.

Hmm..

I have a Bushmaster upper and lower..that I've been wanting to re-finish.. Can anyone give any actual reviews on this Duracoat? Personal experience is always better than advertising claims....

How about it's adhesion to plastc/composite..or high heat areas? Any input..from someone with personal experience with this product..would be greatly appreciated..

I saw a bunch of painted rifles on the custom build forum on M4carbine.net. A lot of those were painted with krylon, and some with duracoat. I can't say for sure, but I don't think a rattle can job is in danger of too much heat unless you plan on sending thousands of rounds downrange in a short period of time. I am thinking about doing my 10/22 in this manner. If I get around to painting it, I will post pics.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top