Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Painting AR 15 lowers

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by ravencrofte, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ravencrofte

ravencrofte portland Oregon Member

What kind of paint or coating should I put on an AR 15 unfinished lower ?

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Sgt Nambu, F2CMaDMaXX and 3MTA3 like this.
  3. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If you want to do it yourself:

regular types of spray paint wont work well and will scratch off very easily

Aluma-hyde is ok. applied just like spray paint and better scratch resistant. I did one receiver with this and its holding up ok
    ALUMA-HYDE® II | Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/air-cure-aerosol-paints/aluma-hyde-ii-prod1117.aspx)

Duracoat - another easy to apply home coating. a little more expensive and the can has an activator in it so once it is started you only have I think a few days to use it up. Tried this a few times and not terribly happy with it. Plus you end up wasting the whole can unless you are planning to do several receivers at the same time.
    DuraCoat® Firearm Finishes & Coatings | Lauer Custom Weaponry (https://www.lauerweaponry.com/)

Moly/teflon oven cure. I really liked using this on the one receiver I tried it on. dries to touch within a few minutes, does not need tight temperature control when applying and once it cooks in the oven it is ready to go. Does smell up the house a bit, not too bad, like a plastic smell
    TEFLON/MOLY OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH | Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/bake-on-aerosol-paints/teflon-moly-oven-cure-gun-finish-prod1145.aspx)

Anodizing at home is not going to be simple. You need harsh chemicals like sulfuric acid and a power source. So given the risk of electrocuting yourself with acid burns, I'd leave this to a professional. Plus you have to buy all the stuff for one receiver. Not worth it.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Wuss!

:D

Sgt Nambu, bolus and Brutus57 like this.
  5. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

Pink Rustoleum

Sgt Nambu, parallax and Brutus57 like this.
  6. Stomper

Rustoleum will turn into Crustoleum on an AR receiver.... LOL

7. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have been painting for over 30 years. Duracoat all the way. I have used it before and I am very happy to see my 8 year old paint job still holding up!

Sgt Nambu, bbbass, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  8. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

DIY= Duracoat if you are paying for the job get Cerakote. I've done lots of both

Sgt Nambu and bbbass like this.
  9. NWCustomFirearms

NWCustomFirearms Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

If you want to do it yourself I would use Duracote. I've done the Alumahyde in the past and it was ok. If you are going to pay to have it done, get Cerakote. Personally I would get it cerakoted anyway, do it right the first time or you will end up doing it again. I have Cerakoted many many lowers, parts and guns that someone's "ninja mechanic gunsmith buddy" sprayed in their backyard for a case of coors light lol
    In my shop we hot blue and Cerakote is the only spray finish we use simply because it is the best one out there.
    We do unfinished lowers all the time, did several just this last week.

Sgt Nambu, bolus, bbbass and 2 others like this.
  10. bbbass

bbbass La Grande Well-Known Member

If you have the money, I'd go with a Cerakote pro. I've used Duracoat and it came to a really hard finish after a week... so ya gotta not damage it before then. Unfortunately for me, I had some runs in the paint.:(

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Do you mean to tell us that you are willing to risk that, allegedly, big, pretty face to acid burns? :eek:
    Must not be all that pretty!

12. Stomper

WRONG... there's just SO MUCH "pretty face" that I have plenty to spare. o_O

:D