JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm aware that Magpul expects us to dye a Sand colored Pmag if we want a FDE-colored magazine- this doesn't leave you too many choices if you want a 25 round magazine for a .308 rifle. I already had 5 Magpul SR-25 and 5 SR-20 Pmags, so I didn't feel the need to buy any more just to have some FDE mags for my Sig 716.

A friend found some paint that was a decent match to Magpul FDE- it's called Dark Taupe, made by Rustoleum. It's a shade lighter than the FDE, but not such a horrible mismatch to the FDE. I selected an SR 25 Pmag, washed it, masked it and sprayed it with a few light coats. Not close to FDE, but alot better looking than a black mag on an FDE rifle, and something I can live with until I find a closer match.

The finish also has a bit more sheen than I'd like, so I'm thinking about using a matte clear coat or some 0000 steel wool to knock that down once the paint dries.

Geno
15542090_1333871836665557_1054893981896429710_n.jpg
15590500_1333871856665555_8681443606501927238_n.jpg
15590099_1333871893332218_6100147382367711080_n.jpg

Looks good! I was cruising the hardware store the other day and I saw that the duck dynasty guys are selling their own brand of do it yourself camo spraypaint kits. I think rust oleum makes it? I thought that was funny...

Thanks. I know someone will reply sooner or later, complaining how it doesn't match- Magpul FDE is a bi-atch to match, even when ceracoated. This was a $4 can of spray paint, so I'd say it wasn't a bad upgrade for the money.

Does the paint seem to be sticking to the plastic OK?
Some paints just won't stick. Good job.

The paint is sticking fairly well, considering I didn't use a plastic primer- I was looking for one for Rustoleum, but couldn't find it. But it is rubbing off in high-wear areas, like at the top of the magazine and at the ribs near the bottom of the base plate. The paint still needs to dry further- still a little tacky after one day. It would probably would have been better to paint mags in summer.

Geno

Sure was nice of you to drive all the way to Nevada to paint you buddy's magazine for him. So sad that if you actually owned one in California that it would be confiscated by the Brown Shirts.

Was that over black or sand?

BTW, the recipe for FDE on sand is:
Recipie using RIT dye:
6 tsp tan
1 tsp pearl grey
1 tsp dark brown
1 qt water

Heat to 175 deg and dye for 2 minutes

I'm still unhappy that MagPul stopped all the colors and didn't even do a little R&D on dyes for their customers when sand was their idea to begin with. They are going to produce a coyote brown mag next year when they will likely be illegal in Oregon (mag ban is a top agenda for the Dictatocrats when the February session starts up).

Sure was nice of you to drive all the way to Nevada to paint you buddy's magazine for him. So sad that if you actually owned one in California that it would be confiscated by the Brown Shirts.

Was that over black or sand?

BTW, the recipe for FDE on sand is:
Recipie using RIT dye:
6 tsp tan
1 tsp pearl grey
1 tsp dark brown
1 qt water

Heat to 175 deg and dye for 2 minutes

I'm still unhappy that MagPul stopped all the colors and didn't even do a little R&D on dyes for their customers when sand was their idea to begin with. They are going to produce a coyote brown mag next year when they will likely be illegal in Oregon (mag ban is a top agenda for the Dictatocrats when the February session starts up).

LOL- yes, wasn't it? And if I did theoretically own a 25-round magazine in CA, it probably would be better if they for waited me to not be at home to seize the gear, as they will find out how strongly I feel about my 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.

Geno

I'm with you on that!!!

A little rebellion now and then is a good thing and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. Thomas Jefferson

I did an AK and some mags with that stuff. It stays on prey good.

View attachment 330326

Yes, I have used it quite a bit and it is not bad. Not what I would use on my prize 1911 but for something you don't mind maybe having to touch up once in a while, pretty good and cheap.

Edit: I was out in my shop today and realized that the camo paint I have been using is Krylon. I imagine pretty much the same stuff. ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top