JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I'm getting at is I think there is a difference between self inflicted vs by someone else. To simplify things, think about your self hitting your finger with a hammer accidentally vs someone else hitting your finger with a hammer. I think there would be a total different internal response.
Every person's response to pain is different.
I can say, from my own experience, whether pain is self inflicted or by others, the body's response is the same. Where your head is at may determine what your action response may be.
I've been burned, stabbed, and fingers/hand smashed with a hammer in work related accidents both by me and by others, none life threatening. The pain and endorphine response was the same.

Every person's response to pain is different.
I can say, from my own experience, whether pain is self inflicted or by others, the body's response is the same. Where your head is at may determine what your action response may be.
I think for myself.....if I am injured by someone else, I get a rush of anger (if it was done on purpose) or a rush of astonishment (if accidental) at the other person's lack of care for my well being which somewhat overrides the initial pain. I think my mind is focusing on why the hell said person did such a thing to me and is also formulating some sort of vengeful response to their action....

If I injure myself (which sadly, I do way to often) I get a rush of embarrassment and self-loathing because most of the time, I knew what I was doing would/could result in injury to myself yet I did it anyway. In those cases it always seems the pain is intensified because my brain is punishing me for not paying attention.

My most recent self-induced injury occurred as I was slow cooking a delicious tri-tip on the BBQ. I had the little temperature probe stuck into the meat and set for a nice rare 130 degrees. When the temperature alarm went off, I went out, opened the BBQ and grabbed the metal temperature probe with my bare fingers and yanked it out of the meat. Took a couple seconds for my pea brain to register that the exposed portion of the metal probe was in the 450 degree range and I needed to immediately release my hold. Needless to say I wasn't quick enough and those fingers weren't much use for a few days as I soaked them in ice water....

my son and I were discussing this tonight after watching a TV show where a person was shot in an extremity and fell to the ground incapacitated
2 years ago, I took an accidental discharge to my left hand - a 9mm went through my hand and separated 2 fingers off my hand
I pressed my hand against my side and walked back up to the house - felt no pain - only amazement that my hand was bleeding
as a former combat medic from '69, I advised my son how to care for my hand and we waited 30 min for the ambulance to show up
I sat in a chair on our gravel road for 30 min with my son, had intelligent conversations, made jokes and still experienced no pain
but my wife was uncontrollable and in panic - blood all over the kitchen
pain did kick in about 45 min later
I had seen this in the Military and asked the trauma surgeon about this at Emanuel Hosp
She said my body experienced nerve pain overload and shut down the nerves, allowing the body to still function
I was able to function for 45 min without pain
but she said every person is different with pain tolerance

so - in a self defense situation - how can you expect an opponent to respond after being shot?

View attachment 1185509 View attachment 1185510
Great question, in a self defense situation I will be putting shots into the aggressor as many times as necessary to stop them from their aggression.

Since I don't know how they will respond, that number is undetermined, but since I typically carry 35 rounds on my person. It will be at most 35 and hopefully a lot less.

I think for myself.....if I am injured by someone else, I get a rush of anger (if it was done on purpose) or a rush of astonishment (if accidental) at the other person's lack of care for my well being which somewhat overrides the initial pain. I think my mind is focusing on why the hell said person did such a thing to me and is also formulating some sort of vengeful response to their action....

If I injure myself (which sadly, I do way to often) I get a rush of embarrassment and self-loathing because most of the time, I knew what I was doing would/could result in injury to myself yet I did it anyway. In those cases it always seems the pain is intensified because my brain is punishing me for not paying attention.

My most recent self-induced injury occurred as I was slow cooking a delicious tri-tip on the BBQ. I had the little temperature probe stuck into the meat and set for a nice rare 130 degrees. When the temperature alarm went off, I went out, opened the BBQ and grabbed the metal temperature probe with my bare fingers and yanked it out of the meat. Took a couple seconds for my pea brain to register that the exposed portion of the metal probe was in the 450 degree range and I needed to immediately release my hold. Needless to say I wasn't quick enough and those fingers weren't much use for a few days as I soaked them in ice water....
Sounds like something I'd do. I'm entirely too familiar with that split second between the recognition of my mistake and the painful reward therefor.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top