JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1st, they should not be "allowed" to be paid to lobby the public and officials to further a proposition that is SUPPOSED to be a way for CITIZENS to propose legislation, not paid professionals.

2nd, if they do collect signatures and get paid, they should be registered as lobbyist and have background checks and a issued license from the state with photo ID.

while this all sounds fine, and given that such has been part and parcel of our political theater for several hundred years, how do you propose we make those changes?

We should start a ballot initiative that will amend the Oregon Constitution to ban paid signature gatherers. The cherry on top would be paying signature gatherers for it.

Now it appears that some sig collectors are from out of state. The whole idea of the proposition approach is that it is a citizen action to do what the politicians will not do.
Time for background checks, publicizing of sig collector names and ID badges ----and NO PAY!
The money angle creates a powerful incentive to cheat, lie and misrepresent the bill.
Maybe there should be a required written test on the collectors knowledge of the proposed law. Only those that can pass should be allowed to collect.
Just look at the hoops gun owners have to go through to exercise our 2nd amendment rights. They should have to comply with equal scrutiny in order to try to take away those hard earned rights.

Absolutely, you can spend your money on saying what you want all you want. It doesn't protect your right to get paid to say it. Outflow of money is protected, inflow is not. If you can find a court case that contradicts that, I'd love to see it.

Everybody has a right to say what they want (with a few exceptions), nobody has a right to get paid to say it.

Just as there is no guarantee anybody has to listen to you....but IF you offer sufficient funds for interfering with ~my~ other plans, I may make the effort to not fall asleep while you stuff the envelope....

Illinois bar vs mining workers union. The court stated that the people have a right to hire their lawyer to lobby for the union! Scotus has also upheld similar rulings.

Problem is Gun Lobbyist don't play by these rules either and often use funds in ways that they should not.
One particular Oregon Gun lobby gave an alleged 10K to his sisters county election, hardly morally correct and ethically
questionable. Being pro-gun or Anti-gun does not guarantee ethics or honesty.
It is abused in my opinion by all sides, when I lobbies I took even my own money to get stuff done over 5K to be exact was
out of pocket to save rights, and no its not tax deductible in most cases.

Point is should lobbies operate honest, ethically and morally? Yes! But think a moment and realize who they rub shoulders with, the often two face dishonest politician of many are not honest, ethically and morally sound.

Pay-per-signature - Ballotpedia
FTA:

Oregon

Oregon bans paying petition circulators by the signature. This ban was challenged but upheld in Prete v. Bradbury. In addition, paid signature gatherers are required to register with the state and carry "evidence of registration" with them as they gather. By law, this evidence must include a photo of the circulator and his or her registration number. As part of this registration, petition circulators must also complete a training course. Oregon law also requires any organization or person that pays persons to gather signatures to register with the state.

DocumentIcon.jpg See law: Oregon Constitution, Article IV, Section 1b & Prete v. Bradbury

seems there are some things to check for with paid collectors

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads