JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oak Apple Day, a celebration of the restoration of the British Monarchy in 1660 — and possibly an ancient pre-Christian Spring tradition long before that — is a beautiful slice of all but forgotten British history and culture. By ancient tradition, sprigs of oak are worn or hung outside houses and other celebrations including processions, meals, and dances take place.

Failing to wear the oak could once have some consequence — going unadorned would signal your support for 17th century English bad guy Oliver Cromwell and was traditionally punished by being thrashed with stinging nettles.

The day specifically memorialises the future King Charles II's flight from revolutionary forces during the English civil war, when he was a young prince. Charles was able to evade the soldiers looking to capture him, so the legend goes, by hiding up an oak tree. While his father, King Charles I, was eventually beheaded and the country thrown into the Interregnum terror, the prince was able to escape abroad and in doing so set the stage for the monarchy to be restored upon his return 19 years later.

@tac Hope you're having a good one over there! Just saw this and thought of you... :s0090:

?

Today is Friday.

But thanks for thinking about us over here. :)

Tell ya what, I'll get one of my Beck's Nottabeers open and drink, seeing as where I live is the home town of Oliver Cromwell. He is one the THE definitive reasons why this country is still a Constitutional Monarchy and not a republic based on religion.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top