JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to this holster thing and in researching them I find references to paddle and/or belt type.

What's the difference? One better than the other or just personal preference? Looking for OWB type holster for occassional CC.

Paddle's are nice and easy, like the Galco's. They slip on and off nicer for the mornings and nights.

Pancake-style holsters will conceal better with a shirt over them, however. At a cost of being "Permanently" attached to your belt.

Not really permanently, but you have to remove your belt some to remove the holster. If your a lefty you have to remove the belt completely. The good leather laddle holsters are nice, but I find the Kydex paddles to stick out further from the body as well as the paddles not being near as easy to attach and remove from the belt due to the hooks and grooves behiind the panel. Just my opinion and expeience, and I have spent way too much money on holsters, as have a lot of guys I imagine... Obviously, a lot of holster fit and comfort is personal preference too ....

Southpaws can always run their belts round their waists in a clockwise direction..... ending the misery of having to remove nearly the whole of it to free a holster.

And this, from a non-southpaw person... who WAS forced into off-side carry due to shoulder surgery on his strong side.

There are pluses and minuses to both. It sort of comes down to what you are looking for and what matters to you.

The paddle holster is all about the easy on and easy off. Think about working at an office desk where a gun on a belt holster may be in the way with your chair. Some choose to wear the gun only outside and take it off inside. The same can apply with riding in vehicles. One of the complaints is related to holster stability. With paddle holsters, they can move around a bit (depending on make and model) and the holster may not always stay in the same spot while drawing. Some are better than others. There are paddle holsters with hooks to avoid this issue. Also, generally speaking, paddle holsters are not as good as a belt holster for weapon retention when grappling with an assailant. Since it is designed to be easy to put on and take off that can become something that works against you if you have someone twisting it away from you.

The belt holster requires the choice of a good, rigid belt so your holster stays in place during your draw. If you end up grappling with someone and you are using a good quality belt holster (not Fobus) you are not as susceptible to someone twisting the whole holster off and losing the gun. -Personally, I prefer belt holsters to paddle holsters but I know there are people who love their paddle holsters.

As far as carrying concealed, it requires the individual to dress around the gun. Some holsters are better than others but you can choose clothing that can make or break any method.

I was just about to start a thread asking people what type of holster they prefer and why. This thread is very similar. I used to have a paddle holster but found it did not conceal well. I like OWB belt slide holsters but they are hard to get off quickly. I have come to appreciate IWB clip on holsters as the best of both world. They are comfortable, conceal easily, and can be easily removed.

I can't do paddles, they always seem to be in the wrong place, the paddle portion of the holster is always digging in. I prefer a belt type holster with a thumb break for retention. It seems like the thumb break holsters hold the gun a little looser, so once you un-snap the thumb break you get a smooth easy draw. I'd rather spend a little more time putting a belt holster on and off, than messing with the holster while you are trying to draw, when it might be "condition critical".

I was just about to start a thread asking people what type of holster they prefer and why. This thread is very similar. I used to have a paddle holster but found it did not conceal well. I like OWB belt slide holsters but they are hard to get off quickly. I have come to appreciate IWB clip on holsters as the best of both world. They are comfortable, conceal easily, and can be easily removed.
+1 on the IWB holster.
The paddle always seemed to print too much, although it was easy to take off and on without removing the belt. If you are considering the IWB, make sure it is well reinforced, as some may collapse from the belt pressure, resulting in a hole that you can't reholster into. Don't ask how I know.

Good luck, and as already mentioned, it's a personal preference...you'll probably end up with numerous holsters as some of us have.

Will

I feel a rant coming on......I pocket carry with my smaller pistols because most holsters are so bulky. They start with the holster then they tack on two layers of material on both sides, then velcro covered straps, then the belt clip or paddle. All of my holsters are good quality but they double the thickness of the weapon. Screw that I just use safety pins to make a holster out a front pocket.

I once bought a sewing machine for the wife so she could sew the pockets instead but for some reason she didn't feel like sewing for me after the divorce. :huh:

I carry a glock 22 in a blackhawk CQC Serpa with the paddle attachment every day of the week, it is the most comfortable paddle I have ever used in over 30 years on the job. very secure for a level 2 and is the only holster authorized for carry for over 150 officers in my agency. overall a great piece of gear

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top