Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Packs....

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by timbernet, Mar 3, 2010.

1. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

I am torn which way to go with a pack... On one hand, I like some of the Maxpedition and 5.11 Tactical packs -- tons of pockets, I like the colors, very rugged - straps for radio pouches, hidden hoslters, etc...

But they aren't really that hot for carrying a sleeping bag or tent.

I am looking at buying a new pack soon because my current one doesn't work well for anything (not enough pockets, no hydration bladder pocket).
    Right now I am looking at the Gregory Baltoro 70 pack -- $290 -- but it was sooo comfy at REI and it has room for most of what I need and more pockets than my current one.... BUT, it is A- $$$$$ and B- not /as/ flexible as a more "tactical" pack --- maybe I will end up with both over time...

What is everyone on here doing for packs, etc?

Someone in another thread had some SAR packs (~$200 range) -- they looked great, good features -- but not enough capacity for a multiple-day trip. Looked better for, well, SAR ;) Going in and out of a basecamp.

2. Ben Holloway

Ben Holloway Bend New Member

how long are you looking to pack for without re-supply, a 70l pack is pretty big, good for week longs but for weekenders a 50l is good. Im with you I think that 3-day tactical packs look cool but if your serious about using it seems like a hiker oriented pack is cheaper and more equipped. Ive been looking at the osprey atmos 50, and the marmot eiger 48 both seem like nice packs and come in at a cost of under 200

3. mr11b

mr11b Portland, OR Member

I love my G4 :) It's very versatile. I've carried sleep systems and lived out of that thing for a long time. Little pricey but you might be able to find them on sale. I can say I definitely am still getting my money's worth. Good luck!

http://www.eberlestock.com/G4 Operator.htm

4. easysteve

easysteve Salem, Oregon Member

5. g.i. joe

g.i. joe Portland Active Member

The ultimate packs are, in my opinion, Kifaru. Designed by Pat Smith of Mountain Smith. I have done extensive backpacking with Mountain Smith packs, carrying 80+ pounds for 25-30 miles, and they are awesome! Kifaru takes it several steps further in design. They come with MOLLE webbing with current camo patterns including MultiCam. Much more money, but well worth it when you consider the design features incorporated in the suspension system.

6. timbernet

My current pack is a 55L -- I would like a little more than 55. I used the 55 when I hiked around Mount Hood a few years back and I've also used it on day trips when snowshoeing, etc. -- I like having a fair bit of gear with me, even on day trips, because you never what will happen. Especially when out in the snow. A few weekends ago I went with some people that have never gone snowshoeing before in their life. I packed extra food, etc -- actually a loadout worthy of an overnight stay -- just in case someone got hurt or wet, etc and we needed to setup camp until help arrived. Everyone else had daypacks or just a camelback and there I was with a loaded out 55L pack :laugh: -- was I made fun of? Yup... but if something happened they wouldn't be laughing ;)

That doesn't cost that much more and looks like it might work. The whole rifle holster looks a bit weird - but overall it looks like a nice pack.

Thanks for the link -- I searched the Survival section for pack threads, but not hunting. I'll look over what was posted.

Wow, those look awesome... the price, you are right - not a little more, MUCH more. We'll see, I might do that.

7. mr11b

mr11b Portland, OR Member

8. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

I got the Osprey Aether 70 (2010 model) and I love it!!! It holds all of my Bail Out gear untill I go camping / backpacking.

(most of my BOB is camping gear, but I dont know why I need to backpack with 100rds of 7.62x51NATO 50rds of 38sp and the rest of the tacticool gear)

9. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I love my Ebrlestock

10. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

In my experience there is just no universal pack. I have 3 packs and am looking for a 4th depending on my specific use.

11. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

You guys and your creature comforts. I can fit a single man tent, a poncho, poncho liner (put together and instant sleeping bag) with a change of clothes, 3-day MRE and survival gear inside and it weighs less than 30lbs as is. Add water and such and VIOLA!

Everyone wants some heavy duty sleeping bag and tent....I have no idea why.

12. easysteve

easysteve Salem, Oregon Member

You Sir are a badarse.

13. uncoolperson

uncoolperson bellingham Member

yeah, that.

If I can't fit it in/on my skycrane, I shouldn't be carrying it....

To keep it light, look into through hikers on various long distance trails that practice "ultralight". Some of those people carry their life on their pack for a week+ at a time in packs not much bigger than you might send your kids to school with. My brother did the pct last year on <15lbs base weight (everything minus food/water).... This year he's gonna go for a lot lighter.

I think my 2 day fishing/camping weight is down to under 25 lbs (minus beer)... with waders, and boots for them.

the biggest places to save weight are cooking (beercan stove, titanium cup), sleeping bag (something down is good, though you shouldn't store it packed), tent (make a silnylon tarp, or get something cheap and small like a eureka spitfire).

14. timbernet

I think it is going to come down to that :)

15. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I can fit alot on my Skycrane that I can't carry. But I agree that you can survive with very little if you want to.

16. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

I'm of the school that says two or three smaller but always prepared packs beats one that you vacation with and then load in a rush for emergencies.

Now if I could just complete more than one of these BOBs and simply leave it alone.:bluelaugh:

17. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member