JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Reloaders, I found this Pacific Tool Company Reloader frame without the receiving screw in thing-a-ma-bob. A patent search via Google shows sketches and descriptions and later improvements in the '50's and '60's. Who knows about the Pacific Tool Reloaders? Can the missing parts be found? Is this tool worth using? Or, have the improved versions eclipsed its practicality? In general, what do you reloaders think? I can email the pdf's of the patent if anyone has interest.
Regards,
Johann

Pacificpat1933940_2.jpg
Pacificpat1933940_1-1.jpg

I don't know exactly what part you are missing, but I have seen lots of presses and parts from pacific on eBay. I have a pacific press, but it looks just like a hornady press. As far as I know, hornady bought pacific tool and die, so you may be able to get some help from hornady.

I think they're fine for handgun cartridges, but they lack the camming leverage of more modern designs. rifle brass takes some effort to re size.

The only screw in thing that comes to mind is the reloading die.

Some early presses had a different ram for each cartridge head size. Later ones used replaceable shellholders. Replacements are made.

Here's one:
CH4D :: Universal 'C' Press Ram

I think RCBS makes or made one, too.

The operating handle is often reversible so it will work on upstroke or downstroke.

Bruce

I bought a Pacific "C" press indentical to the one pictured (but in much better condition) in 1957 and have been using it regularly ever since. Paid the vast sum of about $25 but that included a ram (shellholder) for .30-06. As far as it not being adequate for rifle cases don't believe it fo a minute. I've reloaded tens of thousands of .308 and '06 cases, some GI fired in machine guns, and have never had a problem being able to size them. Sure, it takes some effort for cases fired in machine guns but this press has the mechanical advantage to do it. It's a great workhorse

The press pictured looks like it's been neglected but that doesn't mean it isn't serviceable. It's a pretty simple machine but check to make sure that there isn't a lot of play between the press and the ram or the linkage between the handle and the ram. It also may be missing the spring for the priming arm but that's not a big deal to replace. More importantly, if you are going to use it to prime make sure it has both large and small primer arms. I don't use that function since I use a separate RCBS priming tool. I like to be able to feel how the primer is seated but that s just me.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it checks out and the price is right but I'd make sure I could get a universal ram that accepts modern shellholders, and repaint it.

Your press isn't really missing anything except the changable tooling. IIRC the pacific presses had their own shell holder style, which was much like a modern shell holder, except it screwed into the ram instead. CH4D makes an adapter that will allow this press to take standard modern shell holders.

I also know that some of these instead of taking the interchangable shell holders had a ram with a shell holder cut into the face of it. In this case, if you arn't reloading that caliber you will either need to find the right ram for your cartridge, or have someone with a machineshop modify that ram to take modern shell holders.

As was stated, those presses do have quite a bit of leverage, I have a CH4D press of similar design I use for making .22 bullets. The only complaint is the ram isn't balanced all that great and the handle tends to fall. Not sure if that's a problem with this press or not, I fixed it with the creative use of some springs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top