JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Just listened to the first audio recording, couldn't get all the way through it. This kind of thing really ticks me off, those cops need an early retirement, I don't care what kind of city they work in. This guy is gonna have his first hearing in July, hope things go well for him.

Always remember: Fly below the radar. Don't flaunt your gun. Avoid cops. Be a small mouse, with a big CONCEALED gun. If the cops show up, you are already screwed.

If you have a point to prove, be ready to get tazed. I'll obey the concealed carry laws, and let you go make an example of OC rights, and laugh when you get your teeth ran into the curb.

Even if you are 100% within your rights, you may still have to spend thousands on a lawyer, to prove your inocence.
Then maybe you should change your signature line to; peace through acquiescence.

"laugh when you get your teeth ran into the curb".... i dont get it. And i doubt anyone would laugh when witnessing such a gruesome act.

The main issues are that we do have a problem with the way some police officers treat people and there is nothing that happens about it. We cant even question an incident without the union, the force and the devout police supporters getting all worked up and acting insulted. But we have to be able to question and review public workers performances with confidence.

When a cop asks me if i have anything in the car that i shouldn't have, i say no. Then we he asks me if i would allow him to search the vehicle, i say "no. I dont have anything illegal in the car." They always say "well, then you wouldn't mind a search to prove it." So i say i dont like the idea of someone digging through my car without good cause. I haven't given you any reason." I am very polite and professional. Cops look for suspicious behavior. If you act like a punk, thats suspicious behavior. In my experience, if your completely calm and honest they'll treat you with respect. Usually. But unfortunately there are the few cops who only get more angry when you act like a dignified man.

"laugh when you get your teeth ran into the curb".... i dont get it. And i doubt anyone would laugh when witnessing such a gruesome act.

The main issues are that we do have a problem with the way some police officers treat people and there is nothing that happens about it. We cant even question an incident without the union, the force and the devout police supporters getting all worked up and acting insulted. But we have to be able to question and review public workers performances with confidence.

When a cop asks me if i have anything in the car that i shouldn't have, i say no. Then we he asks me if i would allow him to search the vehicle, i say "no. I dont have anything illegal in the car." They always say "well, then you wouldn't mind a search to prove it." So i say i dont like the idea of someone digging through my car without good cause. I haven't given you any reason." I am very polite and professional. Cops look for suspicious behavior. If you act like a punk, thats suspicious behavior. In my experience, if your completely calm and honest they'll treat you with respect. Usually. But unfortunately there are the few cops who only get more angry when you act like a dignified man.

They seem to be increasingly common...

The police officers were wrong. They should be punished according to the policies set forth by the citizenry they are paid to protect. Obviously the officers in the area need to be educated as to the laws. The verbal tirade the officer unleashed might have been understandable, had he not started off the contact as such a smart-a**, after all the guy was carrying a firearms and not being totally cooperative for the entire confrontation. As is, however, the verbal abuse he heaped on the individual is not excusable and he should be suspended for a while WITHOUT pay. He screwed up. He should pay the consequences. I don't think this should include being terminated, but certainly suspension, probation, training, and probably anger management.

The individual should also be punished. He was not breaking the law by carrying a firearm openly. However, he was not fully cooperating with the officer. Was the officer wrong in his initial contact? Yes, very much so. However, the man should have cooperated with all the commands issued him and dealt with the violation of his rights in the correct manner. Imagine how much better he would have looked had he recorded himself being verbally abused by an officer while he was COMPLETELY cooperating. Now, unless a DA or judge takes into account the problem with the initial contact reasoning, he stands a very good chance at being found guilty of some crime related to being uncooperative.

Yeah that's pretty bad. I guess what blows me away the most is the fact that the DA is now going after the guy for "reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct because, a spokeswoman said, he refused to cooperate with police..." I would think at this time you would just admit that yes the officer was wrong and we are sorry. The audio tape is pretty clear that he was cooperating with the officer. Not sure what they are thinking...

so, let me get this straight, I'm s'posed to co-operate with cops even when they are breaking the law?

Even in this situation, I would do whatever the cops were saying so I wouldn't be shot - regardless of whether it is right or wrong. I would rather be mistreated by some officers and settle it out later than be shot by one.

Good all serving cops. Watch, he is going to get fined and loose his concealed carry. Love the protect and serve part.

As much as the haters will flame me for this, I would argue that to protect and serve the public is a large part of why most cops do the job. The guy in this audio certainly needs some punitive action to remind him of this. He screwed up. But for the maybe one or two "bad cop" stories we hear about each week or month, try to remember that there are tens of thousands of officers who did their job honorably and didn't end up on a cell phone camera...

As much as the haters will flame me for this, I would argue that to protect and serve the public is a large part of why most cops do the job. The guy in this audio certainly needs some punitive action to remind him of this. He screwed up. But for the maybe one or two "bad cop" stories we hear about each week or month, try to remember that there are tens of thousands of officers who did their job honorably and didn't end up on a cell phone camera...

I agree with the statement that 'bad cop stories' are often blown up and it's easier for us to bash on them, and that good cops do not get the credit that they deserve.

However, the man in the video seemed to me to be respectful while being firm about his rights - so I disagree that punitive actions need to be taken against him. I'm curious, what did he do to screw up in your mind? I might be completely wrong, and I would like to know what you think!

the cop gave him orders , and he didn't comply !! plain , and simple !! as we comply with "leo" we find that now we can give them our side of the story-- first of all --anytime there is a gun involved ie; comply, and then we'll work out the details-- the officer has no idea who this guy is, at the moment ! then their is a failure to "COMPLY" we keep doing what we do , and we'll keep getting , what we get !
i find in life .... it is better to understand-- then trying to be understood !!

steven

I agree with the statement that 'bad cop stories' are often blown up and it's easier for us to bash on them, and that good cops do not get the credit that they deserve.

However, the man in the video seemed to me to be respectful while being firm about his rights - so I disagree that punitive actions need to be taken against him. I'm curious, what did he do to screw up in your mind? I might be completely wrong, and I would like to know what you think!

I agree with you 100% this guy was very respectful and calm, I think the cop was a major a-hole and very dis-respectful and has NO knowledge of the laws in the state is services in. How can you do a job when your job is to enforce the laws of the state and you do not know them. If I went around at my job and told people not to do something that was the rule or law and it really wasn't I would be at the least reprehended if not fired especially when you act like this in public.

There are TONS of great cops out there and this is in no way a ding or comment against them, it is a comment against the cop in this situation.

serious lack of training across all departments. You should know the laws you are suppose to enforce and if it was not for the recording there would be a whole different story being told.

I don't care about cops complaining how rough it is. It is a **** of a lot more relaxed then the military and if the military acted in the ways of a lot of officers guess where they would be. They need to be held to a higher standard and level of competence.

I don't care how polite he was being, he was acting like an a**. A permit to carry does not give you a right to argue with cops or refuse to comply with their instructions. They still have authority over you. If they are not aware of the exact law they will sort it out after they figure out if you're legal or not. Why don't people get this? And since when does a CCW allow you to open carry?

Wow, what a bunch of crap.

the cop gave him orders , and he didn't comply !! plain , and simple !! as we comply with "leo" we find that now we can give them our side of the story-- first of all --anytime there is a gun involved ie; comply, and then we'll work out the details-- the officer has no idea who this guy is, at the moment ! then their is a failure to "COMPLY" we keep doing what we do , and we'll keep getting , what we get !
i find in life .... it is better to understand-- then trying to be understood !!

steven

The USSC has held in several cases that cooperation with the police and not sufficiently protesting police actions violating due process implied consent to those actions. For instance, suspects who remained mute when asked if the police could search them or their vehicles or homes have been assumed to have given consent to those searches. In at least one case I can think of a search was upheld after the suspect said "no", but made no further protest.

Cops acted like unprofessional thugs.
What language by the cops... that's true professionalism.

oh oh cop bashing ............ They are thugs and I am glad he recorded it. Imagine if it was not recorded? That's why all the cops on COPS are so nice and concerning because it is all on film.
Personally I think this happens often, and finally its modern technology that is catching this. I doubt that the majority of law enforcement is this way, however there are the few that ruin it for the many.

ConditionOrange:
If they are not aware of the exact law they will sort it out after they figure out if you're legal or not. Why don't people get this?

Possibly people don't get it because there's nothing to "get". You're stating that they will figure out whether "you're legal or not", and then they'll figure out what the law says? Excuse me?!!!

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads