Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

P3at

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by CaughtSteelin, Mar 28, 2010.

1. CaughtSteelin

CaughtSteelin Oregon Member

I acquired a new to me (used) P3AT recently. Gen 1 if that matters.

Today I made it out to go run 106 rounds through it. Should have brought more ammo but I was in a hurry and grabbed what was the easiest to get to.

I noticed that when I would pull the slide back to load the first round it would stick or the round would not seat properly. I would have to push the slide forward or work with it to get the round to go into the chamber/barrel. I am thinking "fluff and buff"?? What do you guys/girls think?

Also towards the last 106 rounds, probably around 85 or 90. I would have an eject problem about 1 or 2 for every 6 rounds. Now this could have been a few limp wrists...I was getting tired. But not all were that way. I did notice a lot of debris in the gun. So maybe it just needed a clean?

If it matters, all but 6 rounds were reloads. I shoot them out of my Gen2 P3AT with out a hitch. When I purchased the gun I disassembled but did not clean it. And I should have...it was kinda dirty.

Any ideas would be apperciated. I want to get this working right before I CCL it. By the way...what a wet day and scored bogo brass!

Thanks,

CS

2. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sounds to me like a good feed ramp polishing and cleaning might clear up the problem. Couldn't hurt, and it's cheap. If it doesn't work look deeper.

3. sprice37

sprice37 Albany Oregon Active Member

New Wolff springs might help as well.

4. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

I once had a P3AT. Doing the fluff and buff as shown on the kel-tec forum definitely helped the one I had. How clean was the pistol when you received it?

5. CaughtSteelin

CaughtSteelin Oregon Member

I found the info page for the fluff and buff. I am going to that.

The gun had some lint in it. And the barrel looked like it was a little dirty as well. But overly not too bad...but wasn't spotless either.

After talking with some people who own the Gen1, it sounds like it's a problem when loading the magazine and racking a round into the chamber.

I'll give it a good cleaning and a F&B, then go out and shoot 100-200rds and see how it does again. If it still has a problem I might just send it to Kel Tec...sounds like they usually send you a Gen2 back tho.

Thanks.

CS

6. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Kel-tec has a good reputation for fixing any issues with their firearms. If the problem persists after pumping 300+ rounds through the pistol I would send it back.

But I would use a bore lite and check the chamber to see if there is any buildup of lead or other rough areas on the feed ramp. Give the whole pistol a good cleaning and a light coat of a good quality gun oil.

You had indicated that the gun was used, so I would want to know about how many rounds had been fired through the gun before you bought it. If you are already over the 300 round breakin point I would consider sending it back to Kel-tec.

7. Mason

Mason The Kingdom of Masonia New Member

First series P3ATs had some troubles but KT is great and will take care of any issue for free.. Mine has been flawless but why F&B if they will just take care of it?

Best of Luck.