JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Additional question, safety or no safety.

I'm leaning on safety as the trigger doesn't even had a trigger blade safety. I'd obviously train with it, but i just don't feel comfortable carrying with a live round without some sort of safety. Else i'd carry without one in the chamber.

I know i just opened a HUGE can of worms, just looking at opinions.
No safety... it's just something else to learn and get in the way...

No safety... it's just something else to learn and get in the way...

The issue I have this way, is re-holstering a live round like this 100's of times, just seems like a recipe for a chance of a problem. I agree, it's a training and cautious issue. But it's the re-holstering. Hammers you can thumb, glocks have at least a blade safety, the manual safety is a 3rd, but zero safety seems to be asking for a holster to be in the wrong place while practicing. That's my hesitation.

About the 4:20 mark goes over this point. I just agree, but also agree something else to train/deal with.

I like P365 better no safety, you can also take the fire control module which has the serial number on it and put it into the Sig P365 XL frame

9BA27796-2746-45F1-94E1-C8403DACD015.jpeg A5FC1B0D-403D-4BC0-B2E9-07E2C4C535BE.jpeg

The issue I have this way, is re-holstering a live round like this 100's of times, just seems like a recipe for a chance of a problem. I agree, it's a training and cautious issue. But it's the re-holstering. Hammers you can thumb, glocks have at least a blade safety, the manual safety is a 3rd, but zero safety seems to be asking for a holster to be in the wrong place while practicing. That's my hesitation.
All my pistols have an external thumb safety in exactly the same spot (Colt 1903 Pocket, Ruger LC9s, Remington R1S Enhanced). It's muscle memory with me. I don't even think about the safety anymore. My thumb is on the safety as the pistol comes out of the holster, just automatic. I would not carry a striker fired pistol without a safety, despite the advice of many. I've seen too many videos of people shooting themselves while re-holstering or bending over. And like I said, with enough repetition, managing the safety is automatic.

you can also take the fire control module which has the serial number on it and put it into the Sig P365 XL frame

This is something I have to consider too that hybrid middle. Because it seems the best of both worlds, but at that point the only difference is the 1/2" longer barrel, and that doesn't seem hard to conceal.

Last Edited:
All my pistols have an external thumb safety in exactly the same spot (Colt 1903 Pocket, Ruger LC9s, Remington R1S Enhanced). It's muscle memory with me. I don't even think about the safety anymore. My thumb is on the safety as the pistol comes out of the holster, just automatic. I would not carry a striker fired pistol without a safety, despite the advice of many. I've seen too many videos of people shooting themselves while re-holstering or bending over. And like I said, with enough repetition, managing the safety is automatic.

This is my thought too. The p365 safety seems fine. It's not the best, but it's not the worst like the shield's inadequate one, etc.

I have not shot either one but have held them. Definitely great little CC's from all that I've heard. I have owned a number of Glocks over the years and ended up going the G48 route today because it fit me so well. Good luck with whatever you choose and always remember, train...train...train! Oh, and have fun!:s0155:

Regarding the safety, you have to do what's right for you, what you are comfortable with. It's really that plain and simple.

At the end of the day, you will carry this pistol, you will practice with this pistol, you will be one one with this pistol. Not any of us, but you.

Lots of good ideas, pros and cons on both sides... I highly recommend getting a good holster, made specifically for the pistol you choose. I personally would recommend the Black Point Tactical Sig logo kydex iwb holster with the claw:

These are thin, rigid holsters.

Second choice would be a Concealment Express,a bit more bulkier, but highly serviceable.

Regarding the safety, you have to do what's right for you, what you are comfortable with. It's really that plain and simple.

At the end of the day, you will carry this pistol, you will practice with this pistol, you will be one one with this pistol. Not any of us, but you.

Well said. That actually helps me choose. Thanks! I agree, i've learned shooting, carrying, and all of this is very specific to each person. Seriously, you helped me decide what i'll be going towards. Thanks again!

Been carrying an XL for going on six months now. For me, it's seeming like the first time I ever felt as though I'd found the perfect carry pistol Ergonomic as hell, lightweight, perfect blend of size and capacity. Oh, and the trigger is pretty spectacular.
sigorama.jpg

I have a 365. Ive carried it since thanksgiving last year. I think most people who purchased the 365 before the XL came out would probably trade for an XL considering the addition of the straight trigger, and extra rounds. Other than that, I don't believe 1/2" is enough to make a difference and like a few have said with the 12rd magazine, you have the same grip as the XL. So is the price worth it? Yeah probably.

I purchased the 365 with the safety. I would much prefer taking a fraction of a second to flip the safety than having to chamber a round. Either way though, doesn't really make enough difference to matter, just preference.

That being said, I would definitely trade my 365 for an XL WITHOUT a safety.

I converted my GF's P365 over to a safety version. Trying to source the 3 parts needed for the conversion was a real pain in the a$$. Finding a frame cut for the safety was also hard to track down for awhile.

If I were in the market for a P365/XL with a manual safety, I'd opt to buy the safety version and call it a day.

I will say that the safety install is extremely easy. You have the safety levers (one piece) a detent and detent spring. Just don't launch your spring. It's tiny and about six bucks to replace, if you can find one in stock.

If you are handy with a Dremel or an X-Acto knife, there are mold lines in the frame that show you exactly where to cut if you wanted to save some cheddar and modify your current frame if you so desired....

I have the XL and carry IWB and with the shorter magazine, it disappears. I carry a spare mag in a DeSantis Nemesis mag holder in my weak hand side front pocket and I forget I have the weapon on. I use the Tulstar IWB Kydex.
hdNDurX.jpg

I have a P365 and found myself using the 12rd extended mag most of the time. I upgraded to an XL grip module and have been satisfied. I found new floor plates that will let me use my 10rd mags in the new grip module as well.

At 4 o'clock, I dont think slide length matters too much. I personally carry appendix and some of my shorter slide guns are a little harder to conceal without a wedge. The longer barrel/slide of the XL may help in concealment, but YMMV. For me, this seems to be the case.

Manual safety is personal preference.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads