JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just getting active in gun sports again after a long absence from shooting. I have discovered "Point Shooting" and I'm wondering if any proponents of this type of handgun shooting are present here on this forum? Any advice or training materials that someone can point me to would be much appreciated! :)

Also, folks perceptions on the validity and functionality of this style and some discussion about it would be fun.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer pro or con!

VooDoo

I've been a point shooter for a long time. I learned by buying 2 C02 powered BB pistols and walking in the woods, one in each hand. I'd find a leaf or something on the ground and point shoot at it. I could see where the BB hit, and then keep adjusting until I hit it. Then I'd try with my left hand.

I fired thousands of rounds until I could hit a leaf on the first shot with either hand. Then I switched to my Ruger .22 and practiced with that until I could hit on the first shot.

Today if I had to shoot someone, I would point shoot. I would hit every time, too.

This isn't for shooting at a target. I would hit the target, but it's not precision as in hitting the bulls eye. But I can hit a paper plate at 20 yards every time with either hand by point shooting.

BTW, I hold the gun just below my eyes and don't use the sights. I look over the top of the gun as if I was pointing my finger. It's fast because I don't acquire the sights, and I can tear up the center of mass on a paper target all day long. It is a very, very viable self defense technique.

i took these 2 Suarez International classes which were point shooting on the move with handgun and rifle. By the end of class you will get all your hits while moving at full speed. By the end of the class you will literally be running circles around the square range shooters.
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

Wow, SmawGunner, this is exactly what I'm looking for!!:s0155:

I need to attend some serious training in the next couple years...I think this might be the kind of thing I'm looking for!! Thank You!!

VooDoo

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian Enos has a book called Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals in there he talks about visual patience. Visual Patience is waiting until you have the sight picture necessary for the distance and target you are shooting. Boiled down it means that at a long distance you need to take more time and get a better sight picture, if you are at 3-5' and looking for a combat effective hit on a human sized target you don't need to look at the sights at all.

I always keep this concept in my mind when shooting. really close I can one hand it and not use the sights, from a greater distance I need to slow down, get a stable shooting position, and really have a good sight picture. I am a two eyes open shooter but at 25 yards, I close one eye to get an even better sight picture.

The book is a great read.

The Suarez International instructor that teaches this is Roger Philips. He has 2 DVDs that touch on what he covers in class.
<broken link removed>
This is a advanced class and dangerous. I suggest take a basic 2 day handgun class from any square range school just to get the basics out of the way. Then take a intermediate class like this one just to give you experience.
<broken link removed>
That should be plenty of experience to take this class.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top