JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've researched this all kinds of places, and I can't make up my mind. I have a first generation Expedition, and the tires that are on it are fading quickly (after only about 27k...). Anyway, I think I've figured out what tire I want, but they offer both a P and an LT in the size (265/70-17). The door plate says to use a P rated tire, but I find myself wondering if that is part of the reason the tires wore so fast. The tires currently installed are General Grabber HTS which are supposed to be good tires, and I have liked them in every way except how quickly they're wearing.

So I'm looking for pros and cons to the step up to a C rated LT tire as opposed to the P. The tire I'm looking at for the new set also has an extra 2/32nds tread depth in the LT version (18/32 vs 16/32). Any advice?

Last Edited:
I am not a tire guy, but I doubt the rating has anything to do with longevity (within the same style/brand tire) The rating is all about load/speed capacity. Im sure a tire guy could tell you why you would go with one over the other.

I understand about the load/speed capacity, but I was unsure about rubber compounds etc. I am also unsure about how the different carcasses would change things.

The LT will carry more weight and there fore be a stiffer tire. This will then also give you more road noise and a less cushy ride.

An extra 1/16th" of thread depth will add to the longevity of the tire.

If you treat and load your expedition like a 1/2 ton pickup then the LT's are the better choice. If its a over sized station wagon then the P rated tires will be fine.

And if the door jam sticker says to use a P rated tire then why would you fight that?

This is from observation, so take it for what its worth. I currently have LT tires on my truck, gas mileage isn't great (to be fair, since when do trucks get good gas mileage anyways? :D), and it isn't comfortable. But its good for hauling stuff around.

Unless you're using it like a pickup and hauling stuff around, just stick with P rated tires. Sure, LT lasts longer, from what I can tell anyways, but it isn't worth it unless you're really using them.

The only reason I'm really fighting it is because it's so dang expensive to put tires on. If a LT will last longer than that's maybe a better deal. The other thing is, it's heavier than a standard half ton and I fairly frequently have 6-8 people in it. I also occasionally tow. Nothing super heavy, but that might change in the next couple of years. I don't do any crazy off-roading, but it is my hunting rig and does go offroad some. I know E rated tires are total overkill and am not really interested in them. Mostly entertaining a C rated. Safety wise I am comfortable putting P rated tires back on it, I would just hate to drop that much money again in another 30k miles.

Last Edited:
And yeah, the fuel mileage already sucks... Ha ha, it's a 5.4 with the 3/4-1 ton transmission. I can't figure this out, it's so overkill in every possible way. I used to baby it and get 13.5 around town, but I pretty well made everybody around me nuts. Lately I think the gas sucks, it's down from about 12 to 10.5. Freeway mileage is still consistent at 16-17 though.

Check out Cooper Discoverer series tires. Made in the USA.
That's the only tire I will run on all of my vehicles.
They are 60,000 mile tires that run quiet and wear very even if you do the rotate and balance schedule they recommend.
I was in the tire business years ago and still have friends that work in a neighborhood tire store and that's what they recommend to me, and since I started running them, I'm not buying tires as often as I used to be.

I have heard lots of great things about the Cooper AT/3. My coworkers all love theirs. I was curious about AT/W, but nobody seems to carry them. I also looked at the Nokian Rotiiva, but I can't really figure out where they're made. I was leaning towards the Goodyear Duratracs. A snow rating isn't totally necessary, but it would be nice.

Don't know where you're at in PDX, but Industrial Tire in on NE Killingsworth sells Cooper. They run the same free rotate, flat repair, balance that Schwab's does.

We have a first gen expedition as well... we put a set of dunlop at-20 tires on it a few months back just because of affordability. We regularly haul a full load of people and I have hauled heavy trailers with it as well. My trailer that I haul firewood and whatnot with is built on 1 ton springs and axles and last time I hauled it it was squatting pretty good- and I towed it 250 miles. So, you don't have to go crazy on price to get a decent all around tire. However, I would not go with a super high milage rated tire- the compound is too tough to be any good in snow/ice. I have found discount tire (americas tire co) to be the best place for tires- and would never go to schwabs!

I normally run 10 Ply LT Toyo tires on my trucks. last year I put on some non- steel belted tires and had two flats in one summer. If your going to even go a few yards off-road you need the better carcassed tire

LT tires have the extra toughness you need for the occasional trek into the woods....plus you did say this was your hunting rig and you have 4 or more people in it right? DO NOT get the Nokian tires, they are made in China (last I checked) and are junk. They will wear out faster than you think and are generally shoddy at best. I would not put those tires on my mother in laws vehicle.
The Cooper or Wrangler tires mentioned above will serve you well and you should easily get upwards of 60K out of them.
A little overkill on tires is a good thing, you ant a tough tire to last and go the distance, you don't want to change a flat on a backwoods fire trail when you're out after deer. If this was a soccer mom- grocery getter SUV, you could get away with the P rated tires, but once you start mentioning the things you do with yours you gotta step it up

I normally run 10 Ply LT Toyo tires on my trucks. last year I put on some non- steel belted tires and had two flats in one summer. If your going to even go a few yards off-road you need the better carcassed tire
I'll second that. I use my 3/4 ton Suburban for hunting and towing. It had P series on it when I bought it. The first time I hit the gravel roads over around Maupin I cut down a tire. I pretty quickly decided to ditch the Ps and put on some 10 ply LTs. No problems since then. If you're hauling a lot of people, or towing heavy loads LTs are the way to go. Also if your rig has 3/4 ton running gear then it needs the LTs. Less flex, higher tire pressures, and (for me) better gas mileage.

FWIW I had the long, tall Sprinter 2500 van with LT tires standard. I finally had to get new ones on one axle at about 75k miles, but the others still had tread left at 90k when I sold the van.

Toward the end I was averaging 27mpg for every tank. That van had a nice little diesel engine though.

LT

I ran some P rated tires on my Yukon (2wd) and while they were fine for what I did, I was glad when I went with the LT. A little more durable and maybe it was just me but I appreciated the extra toughness.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top