JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Kimber Custom 4" compact. It's ~12 yo, all alloy frame. Can I shoot +P rounds on an infrequent basis? I have recently replaced my main spring & firing pin springs with new wolf springs.

I'd like to buy a box of 255g double tap/buffalo bore +P rounds for woods carry. I would want to put a mag or two down range just to know what to expect and then load up a mag that would only be carried on rare occasions. Is this safe?

Found the answer to my question on Kimbers site:
What type of ammunition do you recommend for your handguns?
We recommend using quality American-made ammunition. Choose from trusted names like Federal, Winchester or Remington because ammunition by these makers has proven to be of consistent high quality. Our function testing is done with Federal 230 grain FMJ.

+P ammo manufactured to SAAMI specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use only. Our pistols are rated to handle +P ammo. However, we do not recommend a steady diet of them, as they are rough on the pistol and will accelerate the wear on the gun and may shorten the life of the recoil spring.

The use of reloaded or remanufactured ammunition may be dangerous, and any issues related to its usage are not covered by warranty.

Firearms, as with other kinds of mechanical devices, tend to wear out faster if run at higher speed frequently. Modern firearms are for the most part, quality machines manufactured to high standards. With proper care and maintenance, they should last several life times.

I usually run standard velocity ammo through my firearms for most practice shooting, and carry higher velocity (+P) ammo for self defense applications. I have run a sufficient amount of +P carry ammo through them in annual qualifications to know they function flawlessly.

I think you will find that is a common practice among most (not all) folks.

I think I'll stick to non +P ammo. If I want more punch than a 9mm provides, I'll go to a 45acp. +P seems like putting a souped-up engine in a car that has the factory tranny and suspension.

I try to use the word, "many people", when referring to something you think "most" people do, even though you think most people do!
I use +P in my S&W 5 shot revolver that I carry. I assume if it can take the .357 mag loads it should be fine with the +P.
The revolver handles the .357 better than my hand. Hurts to shoot that round!
I use +P in most of the guns I carry, unless the manufacturer specifically states that they do not recommend it. Actually though, I have shot +P and standard in most of my guns and I cannot see much of a noticeable difference in the recoil. It may speed up the bullet, but light grain rounds do that too. I used to be excited about +P, but I am beginning to think it isn't the big deal some think. I do reload my .38 specials with the +P specs.

Kimber (and others), this may sound like a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway...... With what you found on Kimber's site, does that mean that it is the info is the same for your ~12yo Custom? I'd assume that Kimber updates their site on occasion with new "information". Is this [recent?] information aplicable to your ~12yo Custom? Are they made the EXACT same way (material, etc) then and now?

I hope this question makes sense.

Kimber (and others), this may sound like a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway...... With what you found on Kimber's site, does that mean that it is the info is the same for your ~12yo Custom? I'd assume that Kimber updates their site on occasion with new "information". Is this [recent?] information aplicable to your ~12yo Custom? Are they made the EXACT same way (material, etc) then and now?

I hope this question makes sense.

I had that same thought so I called KCS and they said all that +P was valid for all Kimber firearms including my 'antique' :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top